Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinGonzales

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
The new 15 inch macbook pros came out today and I will be purchasing one, however I do not know if I should get the 1,999$ model or the 2,499$ model. Aside from clock speed (which shouldn't be that big of a difference right?) the main difference between both models is that the one that cost 500$ more has AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory. I am not 100% sure what that does (or if it is worth the extra 500$), but I will be using this laptop mainly for programming and video editing. I am leaning more towards saving 500$ since I will not be gaiming much (if at all) on it. I could use some advise, would the AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory be worth the extra money?
here is a link to the site http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

In addition should I upgrade the clock speed?

Thank you in advance.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The new 15 inch macbook pros came out today and I will be purchasing one, however I do not know if I should get the 1,999$ model or the 2,499$ model. Aside from clock speed (which shouldn't be that big of a difference right?) the main difference between both models is that the one that cost 500$ more has AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory. I am not 100% sure what that does (or if it is worth the extra 500$), but I will be using this laptop mainly for programming and video editing. I am leaning more towards saving 500$ since I will not be gaiming much (if at all) on it. I could use some advise, would the AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory be worth the extra money?
here is a link to the site http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

In addition should I upgrade the clock speed?

Thank you in advance.

As a rule of thumb, get the best specs you can afford. If you upgrade just the clock speed only it'll be a BTO order and take an extra 5 days to customise/ship. This also means that if they replace your Mac down the line, it'll take much longer to order the BTO option.

In all honesty, for your usage, the base spec should be fine. Clock speed won't make much of a difference.

I'd suggest holding off if you could for the (possible) October refresh, or at least wait until WWDC next month to see if they lower any prices (though that's unlikely too).

The 15" are good machines, they're fairly powerful and you wouldn't have a problem for what you'll be using it for whether you get a dGPU or not.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
It's not just the video card. The higher priced one also has 512GB PCIe-based flash storage. The base model has 256gb.

Aloko

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
Paris
Hi Kevin,

For video editing you will need the model with extra GPU, it's as simple as that.
Now what kind and how much video editing you will do is the good question to ask yourself.
I usually never go for the latest models myself, I prefer to buy refurbished and add some options for the same price as a newer computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.