Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romulus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
First, thank you to MacRumors and this forums for directing me along in the transition.

Some background - I have owned a Haswell Macbook Air that was great but unfortunately was stolen. I wanted a smaller macbook and the bezels were bothering me aesthetically, and, as the 12" was not yet available, I went for a rMBP 13" 2.6 Haswell... I loved it but in a bag with folders and other stuff, the additional weight was actually felt on my back. I'm a physician and my laptop travels with me back and forth to work and around the hospital in my briefcase, often times walking to or from work 2 miles, plus any other travel that may ensue. As such, I try to pack light and was interested in a small macbook.

Word of caution - I love this laptop. The experience you get in the store is not fair to the machine. Once the system has settled, everything is just getting better. Like - I for one had an issue with the keyboard in the store. I felt like pressing the keys required too much effort. Either that was the effort itself or less travel - it's hard to appreciate. What I can say though is that I feel like typing got so much easier after about one week - I actually look forward to it. I still feel a little bit cramped - but that is because the style of typing does change. While before I think I was typing with the fingers more extended, now I type with the fingers flexed where in the tip of the digit goes up and down rather than at an oblique angle. It's hard to express, but I guess it makes sense considering the butterfly (symmetric compression) versus scissor (oblique compression) mechanism.

I typically run word, several PDF's open in preview, Papers App with 5-10 PDF's and an active search, Safari with 5-10 tabs, my e-mail, calendar, spotify and recently the Activity Monitor and System Pal just to see what the computer is doing. Another caveat - I run the system at 1536x960 and I run it in nonHDPI... With 10.10.2 that was an ugly washed out picture... Something happened in the way OS X processes the desktop - 10.10.3 and 10.10.4 appear sharp and very tolerable for me. Way way better than my old macbook air and with more real estate space. I've been very happy with that resolution and everything runs super smooth, animations and all. Never saw any skipped frames or other issues... Furthermore, the processor never gets stressed and CPU temperatures never go above 40 or so... 50 with some more intense processes like Photoshop CS5 which I use to edit figures for articles and presentations.

And battery? very comparable to the 2014 rMBP but I do not have the time to spend 9 hours a day on the laptop... who does that? or the single USB-c port - I see that as a positive - now, when plugging into the monitor, I do not need to plug three cables... just one... dongle is attached to power, HDMI, and USB hub on the desk... and for powering - I don't need the brick - I just carry a cable and if needed plug it into one of the desktops at work... win win... Could have they done another one - maybe... do I miss it... no...

Now, like many others, I ordered the AV adapter to HDMI with an estimated shipping of 4 weeks TO STORE. That's annoying, I was at the mall today, at the store where the dongle was supposed to ship... guess what, they have plenty... yet my shipping to store still shows 4 weeks... I don't know what Apple is thinking, but they are going to loose a lot of sales this way, as some people who would have bought on impulse, are long gone. Anyway...

I just came home and plugged the macbook into the LG 34UM95 and it's running great. 3440x1400 via HDMI at 50Hz though. Sure, perhaps moving windows around is not as smooth as with 60Hz, but the tradeoff is that the laptop is actually less stressed than running on the native screen. With the apps open as stated above, CPU temperature is at 32C, laptop body is cool to touch, and mission control or spaces runs smooth without any dropped frames or other concerns people have. It's funny as after all the paranoia on this forum, I actually listed the monitor on Craigslist... well - now I'm glad that I did not sell it. For office work like my typical usage, youtube, and other functions - this thing is great. Like right now I'm running youtube video, a 20 page word 2011 document, iMessage, and macrumors, all spaced out with BetterSnapTool - the video runs great, I feel no difference than the 60z and the temperature is only 35 degrees.

I'm not sure what people are worried about... are they pegging the processor all the time - in my regular use I never saw it. Is it slower than my macbook pro - yes, my brain picks up millisecond pauses. Are they real - I don't know... it's still new (two weeks) and I tend to be OCD (surgeon) - so I think they are there. Are they relevant - not at all. My experience is no different than either the macbook air or the rMBP. And I really think the screen is significantly better than any other laptop I have used. I am a very happy camper.

And now I have listed my 2014 rMBP 2.6 256 with less than 20 cycles on craigslist for 1200... anybody interested?

jb8748

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Thank you for posting about the 3440x1400.

I have just bought the LG 34UC97 (curved version of yours) and have been really hoping that it will work with the Retina MacBook.

Unbelievable the monitor is working (albeit at 50Hz) with my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro - never expected it to as it's way outside the specs. But it does mean that I know I can work with 50Hz, and you've shown that the MacBook can deliver that.

Now I'm just waiting for a few more hubs to come on to the market.

woolie

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
MacBook

What MacBook did you buy... 1.1 1.2 or 1.3 & what storage did you pick

Romulus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Hi - I have the base 1.1 256 rMB... I've always bought more or less base models as I don't keep them long enough and the base always has the best resale value and potential.

PS: For those worried what is the macbook going to do at 3440x1400 at 50... connect your screen at that resolution to the rMBP which I did and I see no difference in performance compared to the Pro model... thumbs up for the 12" rMB

uczmeg

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Thanks for your experiences. I have similar issues in regards to weight and desperate for a retina screen, I've nearly gone to the rMBP 13 a few times from my air but just can't do it.

I'm hoping I do as well as you with the rMB when it turns up.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
And now I have listed my 2014 rMBP 2.6 256 with less than 20 cycles on craigslist for 1200... anybody interested?

Hey, before you do sell it, can you check if daisy chaining a second display is possible from the LG34UM95?

I would love to work out a way to get two displays from having to connect one cable to my mac.

Thunderbolt displays will do this, but only with another Thunderbolt display.

Romulus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
I'm using the Apple multipart AV adapter with HDMI from USB-C.

How do I go about daisy chaining the monitor? I only have one monitor and two laptops right now... There are solutions out there for connecting multiple monitors... The other option on the rMBP is to use thunderbolt and HDMI since it has both ports available.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Hey, before you do sell it, can you check if daisy chaining a second display is possible from the LG34UM95?

I would love to work out a way to get two displays from having to connect one cable to my mac.

Thunderbolt displays will do this, but only with another Thunderbolt display.

How do I go about daisy chaining the monitor? I only have one monitor and two laptops right now... There are solutions out there for connecting multiple monitors... The other option on the rMBP is to use thunderbolt and HDMI since it has both ports available.

Yeah, daisy chaining the monitors only works using TB to connect to the first monitor and using TB to chain from the first to the second monitor. Mixing in HDMI or DP in any way is not possible.

For two monitors, the rMBP is your best bet, as you say, its got the HDMI as well.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013

So you used USB-C AV Adapter using HDMI to plug into the monitor? Would you say the Screen quality was retina or HD?

Thank you!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
How do I go about daisy chaining the monitor?

- You would need a second monitor to connect to the 34UM95, while having the LG connected to your rMBP using Thunderbolt.

Yeah, daisy chaining the monitors only works using TB to connect to the first monitor and using TB to chain from the first to the second monitor. Mixing in HDMI or DP in any way is not possible.

- Do you have confirmation of this?
I'd say it should be possible to connect a second display to the 34UM95's second Thunderbolt port with a mDP to whatever cable if you're using TB from the computer to the 34UM95.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
- You would need a second monitor to connect to the 34UM95, while having the LG connected to your rMBP using Thunderbolt.

- Do you have confirmation of this?
I'd say it should be possible to connect a second display to the 34UM95's second Thunderbolt port with a mDP to whatever cable if you're using TB from the computer to the 34UM95.

No, I don't have confirmation...

I see now I have a critical typo in my original post. It should read "HDMI for DP" not "HDMI or DP."

I just know the latest DP 1.2 specification is the only video out to support daisy chaining multiple monitors (TB uses the DP standard). I know the MB has DP 1.2 natively, and I am pretty sure so does his 13" rMBP, because it is a 2014 model (someone might need to double check that though). I just don't think that DP 1.2 can daisy chain two 3440x1440 LG34UM95's like Romulus' at native resolution. I have a feeling the bandwidth isn't there, especially for 60Hz and especially for the MB being bottlenecked by USB 3.1 gen 1 @5Gbps, but I don't think even a fully free flowing DP 1.2 through TB2 can do two 4k monitors at native resolution using MST daisy chaining. You have to use two DP 1.2 cables to get above 4k on a 5k MST monitor like the Dell one, right?

Also, Apple says themselves in their 4k monitor support page that neither the 2015 12" MB nor the 2014 13" rMBP even support MST monitors. The 2015 13" rMBP does, as well as the 15" from 2013 or later.

I know the HDMI specification, even the latest spec, does not support daisy chaining of monitors in this fashion at all.

So I think the only way to go is one mDP and one HDMI on the rMBP, or going down to 2580x1080 or something to be able to daisy chain with mDP. Not even sure if that is an option though.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
1. I know the MB has DP 1.2 natively, and I am pretty sure so does his 13" rMBP, because it is a 2014 model (someone might need to double check that though). 2. I just don't think that DP 1.2 can daisy chain two 3440x1440 LG34UM95's like Romulus' at native resolution. I have a feeling the bandwidth isn't there, especially for 60Hz and 3. especially for the MB being bottlenecked by USB 3.1 gen 1 @5Gbps, but I don't think even a fully free flowing DP 1.2 through TB2 can do two 4k monitors at native resolution using MST daisy chaining. 4. You have to use two DP 1.2 cables to get above 4k on a 5k MST monitor like the Dell one, right?

- 1. Both do. All Thunderbolt 2 machines have DisplayPort 1.2.

- 2. You might be right. But we aren't necessarily talking about daisy-chaining two of the LG monitors. The second monitor could be a different one. And we aren't talking about pure DP daisy-chaining either, but about Thunderbolt daisy-chaining, which is different.

- 3. The rMB isn't bottlenecked by the 5Gbps USB speed. That is only relevant to the USB part of the spec. It has native DP 1.2, which has a bandwidth of about 17Gbps. If it only had 5Gbps available, it couldn't even support a 2560x1440 display.
But we're talking about daisy-chaining on the rMBP, not the rMB.

- 4. Yes.

(As a bonus info, DP 1.2 daisy-chaining doesn't work at all in OS X for some reason.)

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
- 1. Both do. All Thunderbolt 2 machines have DisplayPort 1.2.

- 2. You might be right. But we aren't necessarily talking about daisy-chaining two of the LG monitors. The second monitor could be a different one. And we aren't talking about pure DP daisy-chaining either, but about Thunderbolt daisy-chaining, which is different.

- 3. The rMB isn't bottlenecked by the 5Gbps USB speed. That is only relevant to the USB part of the spec. It has native DP 1.2, which has a bandwidth of about 17Gbps. If it only had 5Gbps available, it couldn't even support a 2560x1440 display.
But we're talking about daisy-chaining on the rMBP, not the rMB.

- 4. Yes.

(As a bonus info, DP 1.2 daisy-chaining doesn't work at all in OS X for some reason.)

Aha, so USB 3.1 runs the DP in parallel? Did not realise that. Is it correcr that TB also does this?

Also, I had always assumed that TB was just using DP daisy chaining for the video/audio data. Guess I am wrong about as well.

That's what you get for assuming! Thanks for the info!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
1. Aha, so USB 3.1 runs the DP in parallel? Did not realise that. 2. Is it correcr that TB also does this?

1. Yes, in a manner of speaking. It's quite neat. There's some technical data on it from VESA that you can Google if you want.

2. I'm not completely sure, but I believe it functions differently on TB.

Also, I had always assumed that TB was just using DP daisy chaining for the video/audio data. Guess I am wrong about as well.
- Another way to demonstrate that it isn't just DP daisy-chaining is that Thunderbolt 1 can also daisy-chain (and that uses DisplayPort 1.1a, which doesn't support daisy-chaining). :)

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011

For two monitors, the rMBP is your best bet, as you say, its got the HDMI as well.

My understanding is that the second display does not need to be a display with Thunderbolt, but it does need to be connected from the Thunderbolt out of the first display. And that Apple terminated the daisy chain for display in the TBD for some reason (power?). That's why I'm asking about this display.

My ideal scenario is the following:

rMBP 15 -> m/m TB cable -> LG34UM95 -> Cintiq 22 HD Pen + Touch Display
rMBP 15 -> m/m TB cable -> LG34UM95 -> USB (data for Cintiq Monitor)
rMBP 15 -> m/m TB cable -> LG34UM95 -> Mini DP to DVI adapter -> USB Dongle for Logitech M/K

That will get me down to two connections instead of 5 (those 4 above plus magsafe 2), which is not super fast for plug and play.

That's why I asked the OP to just plug another DP monitor in the the LG and see if it works. I'll take any info confirmation/invalidation I can get. This would be a beast to ship/ship back to confirm this one feature.

Last edited:

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Thank you for posting about the 3440x1400.

I have just bought the LG 34UC97 (curved version of yours) and have been really hoping that it will work with the Retina MacBook.

Unbelievable the monitor is working (albeit at 50Hz) with my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro - never expected it to as it's way outside the specs. But it does mean that I know I can work with 50Hz, and you've shown that the MacBook can deliver that.

Now I'm just waiting for a few more hubs to come on to the market.

How is your experience with the curved LG34UC97? Sounds intriguing considering how wide the display is. Is the curve working for you? Or does it make windows/text/pictures look "odd" due to the curve? I am considering this as the setup for my Now finally shipped Macbook 1.3.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
My understanding is that the second display does not need to be a display with Thunderbolt, but it does need to be connected from the Thunderbolt out of the first display. And that Apple terminated the daisy chain for display in the TBD for some reason (power?). That's why I'm asking about this display.

I thought the same thing too, but couldn't make it work (rMBP 15 -> Thunderbolt Display -> Mini Displayport display

Then I found this, which confirms that it doesn't work:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204154

In the end, I had to connect both displays directory to TB ports on my Mac (I have the LG 34UC97 btw - and I've also tried it with Apple's own Thunderbolt display)

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I thought the same thing too, but couldn't make it work (rMBP 15 -> Thunderbolt Display -> Mini Displayport display

Then I found this, which confirms that it doesn't work:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204154

In the end, I had to connect both displays directory to TB ports on my Mac (I have the LG 34UC97 btw - and I've also tried it with Apple's own Thunderbolt display)

- The Apple Thunderbolt Display indeed does require that other displays daisy-chained later in the chain be Thunderbolt-enabled.
But provided that the LG monitors discussed conform to the Thunderbolt standard, I can see no reason you shouldn't be able to put a Mini DisplayPort display on the end of the chain with those.
I'd say you should even be able to daisy-chain your ATD and LG together if you have the LG first in the chain.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
- The Apple Thunderbolt Display indeed does require that other displays daisy-chained later in the chain be Thunderbolt-enabled.
But provided that the LG monitors discussed conform to the Thunderbolt standard, I can see no reason you shouldn't be able to put a Mini DisplayPort display on the end of the chain with those.
I'd say you should even be able to daisy-chain your ATD and LG together if you have the LG first in the chain.

Interesting. I'll give it another shot - it didn't work for me the first time around (LG Thunderbolt to mini display). I assumed that it was for the same reason I couldn't do it with my Apple Thunderbolt display. You're absolutely right in that daisy-chaining thunderbolt monitors together will work just fine.

Will try it later today and post my results.

jb8748

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
How is your experience with the curved LG34UC97? Sounds intriguing considering how wide the display is. Is the curve working for you? Or does it make windows/text/pictures look "odd" due to the curve? I am considering this as the setup for my Now finally shipped Macbook 1.3.

I'm really pleased with it so far - coming up on a week. The curve is subtle and I really don't notice it (in a good way). If I really look I can probably see an illusion of a dip in the menu bar but I have to pay attention, nothing in ordinary use.

I've come from two 20" cinema displays and this monitor works much better for me. Just not having a joint in the middle is great - makes the space seem much bigger even though it isn't. But I think the curve makes the width less odd - I used to feel things at the edge of the two-monitor set up were too far away. Now they seem fine - which I'm attributing to the curve meaning the distance from my eyes to each part is about the same.

I haven't compared it to the flat version of the same monitor so some of these things would of course apply to that. But I got a really good price from Amazon.co.uk (although with a 3-week delivery time) so I'm not sure I paid very much more for the curve than for the flat. And it does look cool. :)

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
I'm really pleased with it so far - coming up on a week. The curve is subtle and I really don't notice it (in a good way). If I really look I can probably see an illusion of a dip in the menu bar but I have to pay attention, nothing in ordinary use.

I've come from two 20" cinema displays and this monitor works much better for me. Just not having a joint in the middle is great - makes the space seem much bigger even though it isn't. But I think the curve makes the width less odd - I used to feel things at the edge of the two-monitor set up were too far away. Now they seem fine - which I'm attributing to the curve meaning the distance from my eyes to each part is about the same.

I haven't compared it to the flat version of the same monitor so some of these things would of course apply to that. But I got a really good price from Amazon.co.uk (although with a 3-week delivery time) so I'm not sure I paid very much more for the curve than for the flat. And it does look cool. :)

Super helpful - thank you for that. I am sold and will get one when my Macbook has arrived (currently in UPS transit in Kazakhstan :D). How did you connect the Macbook to get to the 3440x1400 resolution? Just with HDMI?

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Having being told that we can connect to 3440x1440 on 50Hz via HDMI, we can safely assume that this is the best monitor rMB can handle as of now?

How's the experience of 50Hz ? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.