Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Here's the pics guys tell me what you think! Thanks #

It doesn't matter what anyone here might think. It only matters what the particular Apple employee you deal with would think, if you decide to take it to Apple. That's really all there's to it.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
I really can't give my truly honest opinion here as I'll likely be violating forum rules with what I say. So instead I'll just say this.

You made your bed dude. Time to live with the consequences of that. You should never fool around with Apple hardware (or any other hardware for that matter) unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Don't be lying about it though. Any damage done now is damage you've caused and you need to learn to live with that as it's a good life lesson. If it DID come defective that's rotten luck and you should've taken it in right away. My iPhone 6 came in flawless condition and to this day works perfectly other than some dirt and minor scratches or scuffs on the rear.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping to get my phone replaced. Out of the box my phone came with a clicky screen and wobbly home button

So why didn't you try to swap it out then?

i told Apple chat that the screws were stripped out of the box and I expressed my concern about being blamed and they said not to worry they can do tests to see if it's a manufacturers fault or not. My phone recently developed a dead black pixel and I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow. How do I go about getting a replacement. Will my age affect anything im 16

They'll probably swap it out, but I sure hope they don't. You damaged the screws trying to fix something without using the correct tool, and lied about the cause of the damage. You ought to accept responsibility for your actions and deal with the consequences.

laney1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
They replaced the phone without question, he put for the condition like new, at first he said he would repair it but then I made up something's like the sim bar says no sim from time to time and the speaker makes a whirring sound

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
They replaced the phone without question, he put for the condition like new, at first he said he would repair it but then I made up something's like the sim bar says no sim from time to time and the speaker makes a whirring sound

So it would be ok for you to take a mint/100% damage free iPhone that had never been opened up in for a warranty repair and for Apple to lie to you and tell you it had been opened by someone and therefore wouldn't be covered by warranty?

Classy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's already done with. What's the point of besting a dead horse?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
hi, i got my iphone 6 a few months ago and noticed that the screen was clicky and the home button wobble. In an effort to rectify i removen the screws then put them back in to see if it did anything. It worked however i chipped and scratched the screw surroundings and stripped the screw head. Since then, the wobbly home button has made another apperance and there is a dead pixel in the screen center. I have a genius bar appointment on saturday, how do i sweet talk my way to a replacement? will they even look at the screws for a dead pixel and wobbly home button? thanks guys!

Go to iFixIt and buy replacement screws. Then replace the screw and move on with your life. It's an inexpensive fix, and one that smacks of ethics and morality. Put on your big boy pants and own your screwup.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
That's the approach you should take. Muck it up yourself then lie about it. WTF is wrong with people?

Certainly in the UK, we suffer with what I can only describe as a plague, with affected people always looking for someone else to blame and cover the cost(s).

Personal responsibility seems too have gone out of the window and it looks like it's always someone else fault. :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to iFixIt and buy replacement screws. Then replace the screw and move on with your life. It's an inexpensive fix, and one that smacks of ethics and morality. Put on your big boy pants and own your screwup.

The phone has already been replaced. It's all done with.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I understand that you are 16. But your age should not reflect a difference in how you are treated. :)

I think that this is also a perfect opportunity to learn a hard lesson in life. When you attempt to make changes in things that affect your life, that when the don't go "your way" or end up the way you want them, you shouldn't lie just in order to get what you want.

This is an excellent chance for you to grow and mature. Realize you have made a possible mistake and own up to it. Live with the consequences of your actions. Move forward and grow up. Be honest with other people and you'll soon find positives in life.

The person working at the Genius bar has done nothing to you. Treat him/her well and you will normally receive the same in return.

Causing harm to something then telling a lie about it in order to get what you want, is something a 9 year old child would do.
Use this for your own benefit. ;)

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Wow, Apple are sure overzealous with handing out replacements. Took that poor guy for a right mug.

This is the prime example of a despicable practice and just shows where society's going. If it was me I couldn't live with myself. I'd be uncomfortable using the new phone every day. I'd feel like I'd stole it. But I guess that's just me.

And before any forum mods come down on me or whatever I've been a hell of a lot nicer than I wanted to be here. The op made the thread, admitted to dishonesty and therefore left themselves open to judgement and opinion. I'd expect no less towards myself if I'd confessed to doing such a thing. Ok. I'm done. Situation "resolved" so I guess as others have said no reason to keep it going.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Wow, Apple are sure overzealous with handing out replacements. Took that poor guy for a right mug.

This is the prime example of a despicable practice and just shows where society's going. If it was me I couldn't live with myself. I'd be uncomfortable using the new phone every day. I'd feel like I'd stole it. But I guess that's just me.

And before any forum mods come down on me or whatever I've been a hell of a lot nicer than I wanted to be here. The op made the thread, admitted to dishonesty and therefore left themselves open to judgement and opinion. I'd expect no less towards myself if I'd confessed to doing such a thing. Ok. I'm done. Situation "resolved" so I guess as others have said no reason to keep it going.

I get where you're coming from and if this had been a private sale/Paypal dispute etc then I would fully agree with you. However, although I wouldn't pull this stunt myself we are talking about Apple, the richest company in the world. They massively overcharge for these things and will have the casing on that old one refurbed for peanuts. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what this lad has done. He claims to have had a loose screen which required replacement anyway. The scratched casing and deformed screws are nothing to Apple. How many folk exchange scratched iDevices due to hardware faults? Apple have to refurb the casings and screens on those too.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Value is entirely subjective. To me, Apple products are worth every penny due to the experience I've had with them. I don't have much money to my name either.

Are they expensive? Hell yes, they are! Are they overpriced? Depends on who you ask. Those who answer yes likely don't see the value in the products in which case something else is better suited to them.

As for overcharging in terms of pricing why above cost of manufacture everyone does that. All businesses are out to make profit but that's a completely different discussion.

Don't worry, no sleep shall be lost. My opinion is unwavering however and there's absolutely no justifying it.

OK. NOW I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.