Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maloy676767

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
The New Intel Core M processors are launching in september which means this macbook could be getting a nice speed upgrade relatively soon.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
There's been a few threads about this already, and I won't rehash them save to say:

1) Be weary of what Intel says esp with Broadwell & Skylake in terms of timelines. It's been a bad joke for years on Broadwell.
2) Even if they are "available" is it in volume (esp the type of volume AAPL pulls?) or just sampling?
3) Chip availability does not even come close to translating into actual finished, integrated, and produced product in the market, esp with a system so tightly coupled to its processor
4) Beyond just Intel, AAPL's marketing and planning focus in that timeframe is iPhone and seems this will be born out - I don't see AAPL doing both (not because they can't, but they usually don't and I don't see this changing, independent of technology availability AAPL sticks to some very well defined product cycles and only times these really change is when they are pushed out because the tech isn't available, the opposite situation however does not usually appear to have the opposite effect, e.g. it being available earlier does not tend to shorten them).

The New Intel Core M processors are launching in september which means this macbook could be getting a nice speed upgrade relatively soon.

Last edited:

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I don't think an update in october would be out of the question. 2016 would only be a good date for the ones that bought one right now. The limited supply suggest a bigger launch coming soon, but probably not soon enough.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Just because the processors will be available doesn't mean Apple will be putting it in the rMB at that point.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Q1 2016 is more likely, ultimately much depends on Apple`s strategy regardless of Skylake`s availability.

intel_skylake_rts_schedule.png

Apple will be looking to maintain the Mac`s current momentum, equally Q3 2015 MicroSoft will likely launch Surface Pro 4 and far more importantly Windows 10. You can be sure Apple will be looking to respond strongly in the personal computer "space" :apple:

Q-6

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Broadwell-Y in the current MacBook came out last October, and the MacBook just came out in April. My guess is that Apple will wait until the second batch of Skylake-Y chips comes out in January 2016, and refresh the MacBook in February.

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Not only if broadwell-Y is discontinued suddenly and there still are bunch of backorders...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see it happening, for a number of reasons. One major reason that popped into my head when I read the OP is the fact that a refresh that comes so close to the initial product rollout can only be viewed as a failure in the design. There would be more negative reaction then positive. Apple is all about image and while they have refreshed a product in close proximity before (I'm thinking of the iPad), it produced a lot of negative user reactions. I can only imagine how much worse that would be for such a high profile initial roll out as this.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hopefully Apple learned a lesson from the iPad 3/iPad 4 episode. In any case, Intel's recent track record is not encouraging on the timing front.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
The iPad 3 was bad enough, there was a lot of angry folks round here. Don't think Apple will do that again.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully Apple learned a lesson from the iPad 3/iPad 4 episode. In any case, Intel's recent track record is not encouraging on the timing front.

I think Broadwell in general was a disaster for Intel, but Skylake has been on schedule. Broadwell might be Intel's shortest-lived processor, and many manufacturers might just skip it altogether for Skylake. I believe the issue was getting yields right on the new 14nm process. Now that they finally got it down, it doesn't really matter whether they stamp out Broadwell or Skylake chips.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The iPad 3 was bad enough, there was a lot of angry folks round here. Don't think Apple will do that again.

Yep. Count me in as one of those angry customers.

They also did this to me with the last 15' PowerBook G4. I bought that, only to hear the Intel announcement, then the first MacBook Pro sporting Intel CPUs a mere 6 months later.

However, I'm quite resilient when it comes to upgrades - my iPad 3 of three years was sold for an iPad mini 2, and my PowerBook lasted a good four years (with me) before I got a 2010 MBP. The PowerBook finally caked it this year, after 10 years of operation.

Well guess what I bought just last night - a rMB. But good thing this one's not for me so no buyer's remorse if it gets upgraded early.

dekadent

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Yep. Count me in as one of those angry customers.

I can't believe there still are people who gets angry when technology gets updated just because they recently purchased something. I wonder what the world would look like if everyone had to reach consensus before something was "allowed" to be updated?

Faster horses? Larger quill-pens?

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Weren't the early 2013 and late 2013 Macbooks also released within close proximity of each other?

Last edited:

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
It could happen. Incremental updates have precedent (late 2007 - early 2009 Macbook models). But I think since it's a new product it will last for about a year.

silversin

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
What could be the main reason to wait for the Skylake refresh? I doubt wireless charging will be implemented so soon. Not sure about DDR4.

So alle we have is efficiency and performance gain, which is what 10 maybe 15%?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't see it happening, for a number of reasons. One major reason that popped into my head when I read the OP is the fact that a refresh that comes so close to the initial product rollout can only be viewed as a failure in the design. There would be more negative reaction then positive. Apple is all about image and while they have refreshed a product in close proximity before (I'm thinking of the iPad), it produced a lot of negative user reactions. I can only imagine how much worse that would be for such a high profile initial roll out as this.

Agreed. It is very doubtful that Apple would upgrade this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.