Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
So I did a test of all the Mic holes. I spoke firmly into each hole. And they seem to be in working order.

I would to request that everyone to post their Mic hole results.

Remember there are three holes to test.

Happy testing!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Picard+is+an+animal+_e4b98fb66e9de49556dda7ddf270cc3e.jpg

applegossip

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
iPhone 5 mic locations

Are all three holes located at the bottom of the phone? I am now on my second iPhone 5 because everyone tells me that my phone calls(Verizon) sound muffled. I removed 2 plastic coverings that came with the phone, but noticed that there are two small holes located next to the lightning connector. When I hold the phone at a certain angle, it appears as if the two holes are still covered by a small piece of plastic or a plastic membrane of some kind. Just wondering if perhaps there is something else covering the mics and causing my voice to sound muffled. I even left a voicemail on my home phone and it sounded like I was talking with my hand over my mouth. The
Apple 'genius' that replaced my first iPhone 5 was able to determine just by looking at the phone that one of the three mics was not working. Don't know what he was looking at but I wish I know what to look for.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
So I did a test of all the Mic holes. I spoke firmly into each hole. And they seem to be in working order.

I would to request that everyone to post their Mic hole results.

Remember there are three holes to test.

Happy testing!

So are all mics activated when recording or making a call? How did you go about testing all the mic holes?

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
One is underneath the front camera in the receiver grille, one next to the speaker on the bottom, and the third one is right next to the flash in the rear.

The diagram is in the iPhone User Guide, which you can get free in the iTunes store.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I figured out how to test all of them, camera for back/front, voice memos for bottom mic.

abomb11

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Noise Floor

Hi,

First post here. Has anyone noticed any amount of extra noise floor from the microphone when recording a video on iPhone 5? I compared it to my iPhone 4 and it seems much more amplified then ever before. From an audio perspective its like a very noisy microphone pre amplifier.

Thanks

TomAndrews

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Are all three holes located at the bottom of the phone? I am now on my second iPhone 5 because everyone tells me that my phone calls(Verizon) sound muffled. I removed 2 plastic coverings that came with the phone, but noticed that there are two small holes located next to the lightning connector. When I hold the phone at a certain angle, it appears as if the two holes are still covered by a small piece of plastic or a plastic membrane of some kind. Just wondering if perhaps there is something else covering the mics and causing my voice to sound muffled. I even left a voicemail on my home phone and it sounded like I was talking with my hand over my mouth. The
Apple 'genius' that replaced my first iPhone 5 was able to determine just by looking at the phone that one of the three mics was not working. Don't know what he was looking at but I wish I know what to look for.

I'm not sure about your mic problems, but i believe those two 'holes' are actually the screws to hold the back on. If you're referring to the two 'holes' one either side of the lightning connector then yes, they are the screws!

Tytyt

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
Hello there,
I have an issue with my bottom mic on iPhone 5s. I was trying to replace the battery. I opened the phone but couldn't take the battery out. Because of I didn't have enough tools to get the battery out, I decided to replace the battery next time. I reassembled phone back and turned the phone on. Eventually it turned out that bottom mic didn't work when I called someone. Siri can hear me and camera also records voice. But I can't use voice memos and phone calls... Can someone help me what should I do...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.