Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I installed Windows 10 technical preview on my late 2013 rMBP on an external USB 3 hard drive and the performance is actually smoother than Yosemite. I may have to consider installing Windows 10 on the internal hard drive when Windows 10 comes out and if 10.11 doesn't fix performance.

It's soooooooo buttery smooth.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I installed Windows 10 technical preview on my late 2013 rMBP on an external USB 3 hard drive and the performance is actually smoother than Yosemite. I may have to consider installing Windows 10 on the internal hard drive when Windows 10 comes out and if 10.11 doesn't fix performance.

This seems like something I read about on here every once in a while, and as good of a time as any to bring up that Apple really needs a Vista moment.

What do I mean by that?

Windows Vista had so few sales that Microsoft felt it in their pocket book and that caused them to rethink and move to make Windows 7. I don't think that has happened to Apple. As they are so keen to point out, Mac sales have gone up year over year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think that has happened to Apple. As they are so keen to point out, Mac sales have gone up year over year.

The difference though is that MS was selling the OS (or at least was), where as Apple is now giving it away. The only way apple could feel any negativity money wise is that people stopped buying Macs because of Yosemite. I don't think people are willing to go that extreme.

I do agree with the OP that windows 10 has a lot of things going for it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The difference though is that MS was selling the OS (or at least was), where as Apple is now giving it away. The only way apple could feel any negativity money wise is that people stopped buying Macs because of Yosemite. I don't think people are willing to go that extreme.

I do agree with the OP that windows 10 has a lot of things going for it.

And that's the problem. I'm not saying people should, but that they won't.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
On a side note. How did you manage to install windows 10 on a harddrive? I've been trying to find instructions on this for ages now. Would be great if you could link me to a tutorial on this. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And that's the problem. I'm not saying people should, but that they won't.

I think at some point it will. I'm at that threshold right now. I'm not saying I'll not buy another mac, but the plan is to get a new computer late fall (read November) and for the first time in a long time, I'm considering something other then a Mac.

My reasoning - with Apple I'm spending in excess of 2,000 for a 15" MBP or an iMac. For that premium price I expect a premium experience. At this point I'm questioning the value I'm getting for 2,000. For half that I can get a PC All in One computer running Windows 10. It will last just as long as the iMac and will generally have similar components. Long story short if Windows keeps getting better and we're not seeing the improvement in Yosemite, I question why I'd want to spend 2,000 for a computer.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think at some point it will. I'm at that threshold right now. I'm not saying I'll not buy another mac, but the plan is to get a new computer late fall (read November) and for the first time in a long time, I'm considering something other then a Mac.

My reasoning - with Apple I'm spending in excess of 2,000 for a 15" MBP or an iMac. For that premium price I expect a premium experience. At this point I'm questioning the value I'm getting for 2,000. For half that I can get a PC All in One computer running Windows 10. It will last just as long as the iMac and will generally have similar components. Long story short if Windows keeps getting better and we're not seeing the improvement in Yosemite, I question why I'd want to spend 2,000 for a computer.

Oh, I think the 'fix Yosemite' boat has sailed. Apple's focus is likely going to be on whatever comes next. :)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
On a side note. How did you manage to install windows 10 on a harddrive? I've been trying to find instructions on this for ages now. Would be great if you could link me to a tutorial on this. :D

I'm gonna sound real lazy here, but check my profile and the threads created by me, the one you wanna click on is titled "should I install Windows 10 on hard drive or Virtual Box?" or something to that effect. You'll find the the instructions in that thread just scroll down a bit

----------

This is exactly how I'm starting to feel. I'm just questioning the value here...

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
I'm gonna sound real lazy here, but check my profile and the threads created by me, the one you wanna click on is titled "should I install Windows 10 on hard drive or Virtual Box?"...

Cheers man! ;)

D1STORT1ON

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
VA
I bought a Surface Pro 3 to see how "the other side" lives because I haven't been happy with Yosemite. OMG what a difference. It is so speedy and fast. Going back to Yosemite on the MacBook Pro always seems so slow now.

Was thinking about installing Windows on the MBP as well. Sort of would prefer internal drive, but I just don't really have the room I think.

Queen6

macrumors G4

This is exactly how I'm starting to feel. I'm just questioning the value here...

Getting that way myself :( Don't have any major issues with Yosemite, equally OS X`s UI & UX in it`s present form is not a premium experience. Add in Apple`s new hardware rollout regiem; Retina Macbook, less than stellar for many, if not outright frustrating.

Right now Apple appear to be totally locked into thin, light & eye candy. Personally I would prefer the OS to be secure, stable above all, and fluid, then worry about the toys later, nor am I overly excited with the OS changing so rapidly, better to fix the issues first. Let`s see what 10.11 brings, I rather fear more bloat and reduced usability.

For the first time in an eternity I am considering a Windows based system for my own business use, as Microsoft`s Surface Pro 3`s usability & functionality simply beats any of Apple`s current offerings...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft`s Surface Pro 3`s usability & functionality simply beats any of Apple`s current offerings...
I have the SP3, and I like it a lot. Build quality is on par with Apple, its fast, runs great. I prefer taking this over my MBP, its like carrying an iPad but you get a full laptop experience. I'm using my MBP more as a desktop which is why I'm considering an AIO computer. My initial preference is an iMac but for the reasons I already stated, I'm entertaining a windows based machine.

I agree with the thinner design, apple does seem fixated on making all of their products thinner with each iteration.

WWDC is coming out and while I'll not expect any hardware from them now, because of the just rolled up a minor spec bump for the MBP, I am keenly interested in what they'll be doing to OS X.

mefistos

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015

did you use bootcamp or parallels/vm?

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I've recently used bootcamp to install Windows 10 on the internal drive of my rMBP - 1Tb SDD, 16Gb Ram, i7 3.8Ghz. It is so smooth and fast.

MS Office is already installed, and I'm about to install VMWare under windows, to run my work VMs that I use all day. Usually I run the Macbook in clamshell with 2 external monitors attached, and that's working fine too.

For the next week I plan to try using Windows 10 as the main work OS, so we'll see how that goes.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have the SP3, and I like it a lot. Build quality is on par with Apple, its fast, runs great. I prefer taking this over my MBP, its like carrying an iPad but you get a full laptop experience. I'm using my MBP more as a desktop which is why I'm considering an AIO computer. My initial preference is an iMac but for the reasons I already stated, I'm entertaining a windows based machine.

I agree with the thinner design, apple does seem fixated on making all of their products thinner with each iteration.

WWDC is coming out and while I'll not expect any hardware from them now, because of the just rolled up a minor spec bump for the MBP, I am keenly interested in what they'll be doing to OS X.

Seriously considering an SP3, as Apple are unfortunately not bringing anything new to the PC "arena" rather the same recipe rehashed in ever smaller packages, that can and do bring compromise to usability.

Same I am keenly interested in what develops at WWDC for OS X. Microsoft have done a tremendous job of optimising Windows to run fluidly, even on very low level hardware. I rather hope Apple looks to the same approach as OS X presently feels and to some extents looks unfinished...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.