Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2012
You are correct, of course iOS7/8/9 will one day look dated. But my point is if everyone hated the flat look, all three big tech companies would not be going in that direction. And what looks good to one person might not to another, its all a matter of opinion.

It's all emporer's new clothes stuff. Society in 2012 (ios6) wasn't fundamentally different than society today. It's just a change in fashion. Like how one year, short skirts are "in" and a few years later, more conservative dress will be the trend. It isn't that people are more conservative, or more risqué, it's just that the fashion, design people have to constantly change for the sake of change. If "flat" icons came before skeumorphism, we would think that ios6 looking icons were state of the art. But instead, it was reversed. Thus design change isn't done for improvement, but just to generate buzz and sales.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I do get the feeling from looking at the WWDC logo this year that we may be headed toward circular icons for apps. Of course I could just be reading too much into the logo, that wouldn't be a first.

I kinda get that feeling too. It definitely "looks" like icon shapes around the edge and the title "epicentre of change". It may very well be a hint of a whole new icon shape or even a brand new Springboard for iPhone/iPad.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
It really doesn't matter what Apple does, because we would all follow them off a cliff.

Moral being Apple can do what they want and we will obey and follow

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It really doesn't matter what Apple does, because we would all follow them off a cliff.

Yes, everyone absolutely goes to such extremes always.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

Omg yes, I totally don't have Windows 10 Beta in a VM and give it compliments everyday about how much better Windows is getting. Android is total crap and I can't stand it at ALL. /sarcasm

I prefer OS X and iOS because its easier to use but if they fall of a cliff I would gladly switch. Android keeps getting better and better, and Windows is actually coming along very well! I actually like Windows 10 believe it or not.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Omg yes, I totally don't have Windows 10 Beta in a VM and give it compliments everyday about how much better Windows is getting. Android is total crap and I can't stand it at ALL. /sarcasm

I prefer OS X and iOS because its easier to use but if they fall of a cliff I would gladly switch. Android keeps getting better and better, and Windows is actually coming along very well! I actually like Windows 10 believe it or not.

Easier to use? Last time I used a Mac I needed to press like 3 different buttons just to take a screen shot instead of FN+ screenshot button on PC lol, I find Macs take the simple stuff and add an extra step or two.

The original post was to humour people, I find it a fact that Apple does have mental control over Some people I think I am in the boat too.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Easier to use? Last time I used a Mac I needed to press like 3 different buttons just to take a screen shot instead of FN+ screenshot button on PC lol, I find Macs take the simple stuff and add an extra step or two.

The original post was to humour people, I find it a fact that Apple does have mental control over Some people I think I am in the boat too.

Ok so on OS X you have to press a third key but on Windows you only need to press two? Yeah seems like it saves so much time. (Its Cmd+Shift+3) Every platform has its pluses and minuses, but OS X seems to be the most easy to use. Even all my family members have converted to OS X since they prefer it to Windows.

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Good catch, didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

The bold, new innovation will be more colorful watch bands.

----------

You are correct, of course iOS7/8/9 will one day look dated. But my point is if everyone hated the flat look, all three big tech companies would not be going in that direction. And what looks good to one person might not to another, its all a matter of opinion.

All it really says is that the designers are all like, "ooh! New and different!" For neon, flat icons.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ok so on OS X you have to press a third key but on Windows you only need to press two? Yeah seems like it saves so much time. (Its Cmd+Shift+3) Every platform has its pluses and minuses, but OS X seems to be the most easy to use. Even all my family members have converted to OS X since they prefer it to Windows.

As a user using both mac OS X and windows, I must say, Windows is sometimes better than mac OS X when doing productively tasks. We all know Microsoft office is the most popular productivity suite around the world. In my opinion, office is way better than iWorks.

Windows begins refining itself, and it may bring all windows devices to a new era. I like using Windows 10 because I think it is easier to use than windows 8. For Mac side, I agree that OS X is easy to use, but not so easy that it could replace windows. I write my essay more often than on Mac because office 2013 is much better. Windows 10 has many similar things comparing to mac OS X, making it easier to use than ever, such as task view.

Oh, I know I lack the ability to express my opinion in a concise manner. I am working on it. :(

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

rpetunderclass

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Really just hope they address all the current iOS 8 bugs such as WiFried and the GPU bugs on the 6 Plus (Probably not fixable.)

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I don't think Apple will make a lot of changes to the actual style or system... But I think they will probably refine a lot of the individual apps like they have started to do with music in iOS 8.4.

I think the iTunes Store app will go away and that the media will be compartmentalized into the different apps... This is already done with the iBooks and podcast apps... And I think that we will also have an added tab to the music app... to browse and purchase media right in the app.. That's going to be the easiest way for beat subscribers to add music to their library... And then we're just left with the video which I suspect that that app will be redesigned as well... It will probably have a movies tab, a TV tab, a store tab, and a tab for their cable service.

And I also feel that compartmentalizing the store into the different apps... That Apple will go cross platform with their music app offering it on android and Windows devices... I'm not sure about video though.

There are a lot of other apps included in iOS such as the phone app that I have needed to be updated for a long time... I think that Apple has had a lot on their plate during iOS 7 and 8... iOS nine will be a good time for them to concentrate on those things as well as stability within the operating system .

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
There won't be any design changes in iOS 9

Apple is only making everything faster and more efficients
Yup this is correct. Sorry. You will have to wait for iOSX4 (we are going to switch to iOSX after iOS 9).

-Tim

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I thought that Apple invented everything, at least that is what they would have you think :D

But apple has many patents held in their hands, much more than many other companies around the world. In this meaning, Apple could claim that many things are invented by THEM. :(

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
But apple has many patents held in their hands, much more than many other companies around the world. In this meaning, Apple could claim that many things are invented by THEM. :(

Hopefully they will try putting some of it on their iPhones then.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hopefully they will try putting some of it on their iPhones then.

Well. You may not know. IPhone 6 Plus has a very similar design comparing with iPhone 5c, from the back, the side and the front. I can say apple has copied many of the design aspects in iPhone 5c.

Apple may throw something realise awesome to the world, but I think, not now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.