Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
it was good, it took over 2 hours though..

Would you do it again?

I've haven't made a chicken yet, but that's seems fairly long. Maybe that's good thing as long as it was 170 or so.

I wonder how big of chicken was it, and what temp were you grilling at?

----------

My dad has 3(!!!), in different sizes and is always trying something new with them. He's made some tasty meats (brisket, turkey, chicken, ribs, pork tenderloin, chops, etc.) and extended to veggies, pizzas and even cookies as well. He's even taken some smoked beef sticks from a local meat company and re-smoked them which really kicks up the flavor.

As far as accessories, he has platesetters for indirect cooking, a temperature control (BBQ Guru), and a different chimney cap, as well as a couple various egg tables/stands and things like a pizza paddle.

Okay I sold out and bought the Guru Digi2. It was delivered today. I playing with it now. Pretty inpressive so far. I started the grill using the pyramid method, as recommended, and after about five minutes hooked up the Guru set at 200 F. It took over and at about 150 F I put the Daisy top on and dialed it down to about 1/4. It's been holding 200 F for just about an hour. Amazing.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Would you do it again?

I've haven't made a chicken yet, but that's seems fairly long. Maybe that's good thing as long as it was 170 or so.

I wonder how big of chicken was it, and what temp were you grilling at?

----------

Okay I sold out and bought the Guru Digi2. It was delivered today. I playing with it now. Pretty inpressive so far. I started the grill using the pyramid method, as recommended, and after about five minutes hooked up the Guru set at 200 F. It took over and at about 150 F I put the Daisy top on and dialed it down to about 1/4. It's been holding 200 F for just about an hour. Amazing.

It was a pretty good size hen, I think the beer moisture makes it take a lot longer.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Roasted a turkey yesterday. It turned out fantastic. I put the wet rub (oil with aromatic herbs) between the skin and meat. What an excellent technique. The skin was crunchy and meat juicy and full of flavor.

Once again, this isn't me. It's this egg and following (good) recipes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 162

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Roasted a turkey yesterday. It turned out fantastic. I put the wet rub (oil with aromatic herbs) between the skin and meat. What an excellent technique. The skin was crunchy and meat juicy and full of flavor.

Once again, this isn't me. It's this egg and following (good) recipes.

Looks great wish i was there. I just cooked steaks tonight, I have a butt roast to do this week...

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks oldhifi! It my first turkey. I made thin gravy but it turned out "ok." I'll add less wine next time.

Nothing beats steak. I've intentionally strayed away from it, having cooked it only once. If I have my druthers id be cooking it two or three times a week. A few weeks back I reverse seared a (seriously thick) ribeye for my 88 pound daughter. She ate almost half of it. I cooked it like you suggested...sum(30 minutes) and then as it rested let it soar to > 700 degrees. I seared it about a minute a side. It was excellent. Thanks for the tip, my friend.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe the thread has run its course. Among other things I hickory smoked almonds and tossed them in sea salt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 140

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe temporarily, but it'll be back. Good food never gets old.

I started the thread for input on BGE's and now would prefer it to be about barbecue. I was rather shortsighted. Anything to add to BBQ Renzaric?

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Thanks oldhifi! It my first turkey. I made thin gravy but it turned out "ok." I'll add less wine next time.

Nothing beats steak. I've intentionally strayed away from it, having cooked it only once. If I have my druthers id be cooking it two or three times a week. A few weeks back I reverse seared a (seriously thick) ribeye for my 88 pound daughter. She ate almost half of it. I cooked it like you suggested...sum(30 minutes) and then as it rested let it soar to > 700 degrees. I seared it about a minute a side. It was excellent. Thanks for the tip, my friend.

Next time use the Cajun Injector..great..

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Maybe the thread has run its course. Among other things I hickory smoked almonds and tossed them in sea salt.
Nice to see you are enjoying your BGE. I have had one for a few years now and love it. I have made chicken, brisket, pork butt, turkey, fish, pizza, stir fry, steaks, etc... and everything has turned out fantastic. My website's blog has details of some of the stuff. A great site that I read a lot to get started was the Naked Wiz. You should check it out if you haven't run across it yet.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Nice to see you are enjoying your BGE. I have had one for a few years now and love it. I have made chicken, brisket, pork butt, turkey, fish, pizza, stir fry, steaks, etc... and everything has turned out fantastic. My website's blog has details of some of the stuff. A great site that I read a lot to get started was the Naked Wiz. You should check it out if you haven't run across it yet.

Thanks for the tip on the Naked Wiz website. I have checked it out in the past will take another look again. I also just stopped at your site. Thanks. I will take time to read it.

I just picked up a brisket for tomorrow.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yesterday we smoked some chicken wings and ribs. It was so good. So sorry, but I forgot to take pictures and, needless to say, there's none left over at this point.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Yesterday we smoked some chicken wings and ribs. It was so good. So sorry, but I forgot to take pictures and, needless to say, there's none left over at this point.
Yeah, we had steaks over the weekend, but I didn't take any pics, either. I used the reverse sear method and they turned out great.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, we had steaks over the weekend, but I didn't take any pics, either. I used the reverse sear method and they turned out great.

I've intentionally grilled only one steak (ribeye) so far and it was excellent. I reversed seared it also largely due to its thickness. I don't remember/think I posted a picture. It isn't well taken.

image.jpg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I'm a little concerned about the brisket. I put it on around noon central. At 4:30 pm it was clearly in the stall at 160 F. I gave it another 30 minutes without a change in temp so I crutched it. It's now been on for 8.5 hrs and we're at 185 F. I plan to pull it at 198 F.

My concern is it didn't quite have the mahogany color I hoped by the time I crutched it. I think that's maybe be due to my rub not having much smoked paprika. It's my first brisket. I have a lot to learn. Pretty poor planning on my part.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
It finally finished at about 11:30 pm. I cut a few slices and the flavor is really good and very juicy. The bark is pretty good too. It was a bit salty but once I get into it about an inch we will see. Since my timing was totally screwed up I didn't have time to cube up the burnt ends and finish it with a little more heat. I'll do that tonight. A freshly done brisket is now a leftover. Terrible planning on my part.

image.jpg

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It finally finished at about 11:30 pm. I cut a few slices and the flavor is really good and very juicy. The bark is pretty good too. It was a bit salty but once I get into it about an inch we will see. Since my timing was totally screwed up I didn't have time to cube up the burnt ends and finish it with a little more heat. I'll do that tonight. A freshly done brisket is now a leftover. Terrible planning on my part.

View attachment 559375
Those things are hard to cook. I have made one "Packers" brisket and I ended up finishing it off in the oven (which is actually a recommended technique from TexasBBQ, so I didn't feel too bad about it). Here is a pic of the one we made (it is bigger than it looks in the pic. It is on the biggest plate we own):

smoked brisket by Derek, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.