Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Looks like some sort of case that will make you iPhone 6 huge and ugly.

tsevince

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
Definitely looks interesting, hopefully I'll get one in for review. I've tested out some of their other products and I'm in the testing phase of their other radical skin/case hybrid, the AirMask.

The one thing I've learned about SwitchEasy is that they provide affordable quality cases. Minimal branding and a host of colours to really customize on a budget.

I'm not a fan of the port covers they use in their rubber cases, it really gets in the way more so than prevents anything. But given the trend I'm seeing, this case could possibly be an affordable alternative to an OtterBox or the other big brands.

From the teaser, it sort of looks like a G-Form case.

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Received the following link from Switcheasy this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF9gWbFKojs

"A brand new concept for mobile protection is coming....
Coming soon... 5.25.15
"

Seems intriguing - wonder what it will look like?!

OH. MY. GOD. What a pig ugly case:eek::( Switcheasy used to produce some awesome cases for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 HOWEVER, they seem to have lost their way with the iPhone 6. There's not a single case in their collection that I would buy.

:(

charis1113

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
OH. MY. GOD. What a pig ugly case:eek::( Switcheasy used to produce some awesome cases for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 HOWEVER, they seem to have lost their way with the iPhone 6. There's not a single case in their collection that I would buy.

Totally agreed....this kind of cases totally ruin the beautiful design of Iphone.
Maybe it is practical for some ppl, but i this kind of cases are everywhere, i dun think it is something new........

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012

I got their email today, too. That was also my first thought. What a monstrosity. But I think the same thing of all of the Otterboxes. I guess someone out there will buy them!

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Looks like Switcheasy spotted my post above - they have offered to send me a case for a review stating that the pics don't do justice to the case.

As soon as I receive it, will post up some pics and a review here.
;)

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Looks like Switcheasy spotted my post above - they have offered to send me a case for a review stating that the pics don't do justice to the case.

As soon as I receive it, will post up some pics and a review here.
;)

I guess they have seen my post above as well, I'm not expecting one to review :D

Looking forward to seeing your review though.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
So here is my mini review!!!

I got sent 2 colours of this case. One black and one white/red. On opening the packaging, I was a little dis-heartened to see that SwitchEasy do not offer you anything but the cases themselves. Back in the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 days, SwitchEasy were pretty well known for offering "Everything but the Kitchen sink" with their iPhone cases. By this I mean, in pretty much all of their cases, you would receive the case, 2 screenshields, a cleaning cloth, and 2 pairs of port covers for the opening on the iPhone. Well, in the Helix case, all you get is JUST the case - no screenshields, nothing!

Here is what I saw when I took the cases out the packaging:

Red/White Case

White%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20above%20face%20down_zpshbilbjvt.jpg

Black Case

Black%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20bottom%202_zpsurxj0vgl.jpg

(Apologies for low quality pics - they've all been taken on an iPad 2!)

So initially, looking at these, I thought that they would be a 2 piece case with the hexagonal interior part, being removable (I was hoping to put the red parts into the black case) but alas, this was not so. These cases are one piece design.

A tour around the cases:

Black%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20side%202_zpsocvs9nt0.jpg

Black%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20top_zpsyhyh7uql.jpg

Black%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20side_zpsjydqyxss.jpg

White%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20side_zps163njxaw.jpg

White%20case%20-%20shot%20side%202_zps2e0wapss.jpg

White%20case%20-%20shot%20from%20bottom%20face%20up_zpszjnxfkh7.jpg

The case feels quite nice in the hand - especially if you do lots of landscape gaming on your iPhone 6. The case seems to want to grip your hands whilst you play!!

The hexagonal parts on the back, are actually like dimples - you can press them down (it kinda feels like an air pocket). This would help with shock absorption in the case of a dropped phone. The corners are also heavenly reinforced so if you drop your phone, the case is gonna take 100% of the damage (no part of the phone will hit the ground). There is also a large 'lay on the table' design so if you place your phone face down on a table, the screen will not touch the surface.

On unique feature of the case is that the volume area at the bottom right of the phone. As you ca see in the picture below, it is actually covered up. There is, however, a slit on the top of the case (just to the right of the home button) where the sound is redirected towards you, instead of straight down towards the ground. In practice, it seems to work well, but just looks a little weird with all the volume holes covered up!!!

Ringed%20cormer_zps8wuruokf.jpg

All in all, it is a good case but at the same time, it is quite a large case!! I placed it next to my 'Tech 21 with Cover' case, which itself is quite bulky, and was surprised to see that the SwitchEasy was around the same size in diameter (its alot thinner, thickness wise):

Black%20case%20-%20comparison%20with%20Tech21_zpspeytigxy.jpg

If you're looking for a case like no other case out there, then these are the cases for you. They are definitely unique and look like no other case I have ever seen!!! My only complaint is that I wish the case was made in 2 parts - a softer polycarbonate interior part (like the old SwitchEasy capsule Rebels used to have) and an outer harder polycarbonate shell. This way, it would allow for the 2 cases to be interchanged with each other (again, the black case would look AWESOME with the red hexagonal parts!), but I guess, because there are only 2 colours available (black and white/red), there is probably not much point in doing it this way!
One final note - in the pictures of the black case, the hexagonal parts look carbon fiber. They are not, this is just the pattern on the hexagonal parts of the case (the red hexagonal parts are just glossy red - no pattern at all).

:)

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
I've just received some some extra info from SwitchEasy regarding this case, so have posted it here:

SwitchEasy™ Introduces HELIX Aero-Tech iPhone Case; Offers Ultimate Protection in Incredibly Thin Form-Factor
Offers iPhone users the ultra light shock-proof case
with MIL-STD 810G certification

Tracy, CA – May , 2015 – SwitchEasy, a leading provider of accessories for the mobile lifestyle, today announces the HELIX Aero-Tech for the iPhone 6. The first of its kind, HELIX will offer iPhone users the ability to redefine protection with a sleek proprietary design.

Weighing in at an astonishing 26g, the HELIX will become one of the world’s lightest shock-proof cases with MIL-STD 810G certification. It features impact absorbing corner bumpers with air chambers in order to protect the iPhone from accidental drops, as isrequired by the MIL-STD specification. Additionally, a unique hexagonal cell design is able to help absorb impact throughout the case for an added level of security. The iPhone power and volume buttons are covered as well, offering users a tactile feel and response when pushing them, while still helping to keep dirt and dust out of it.

Aero-Tech is a brand new manufacturing process designed by SwitchEasy to optimize the protection-to-mass (PTM) ratio on mobile accessories. Traditionally, protection is measured by how much bulk you put onto a case. The thicker the case, the more protection you get. With Aero-Tech, we have defied the traditional thinking by utilizing a unique manufacturing process which shaves off all unnecessary material while keeping the same protection properties.

The new HELIX case for iPhone 6 is available in two color options; black/black and white/red for the MSRP of $29.99.

All three models will be available via the company’s website (www.switcheasy.com) as well as through authorized distributors in retail and online locations in May, 2015.

Aero_Tech_description_zps3cegumkx.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.