Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Got mine last week at best buy

Love the thing! However, when I'm at home (as I am now) I find it more convenient to use my desktop Mac Mini and full keyboard and mouse vs than having the Macbook on my lap.

It also feels very fragile and you feel like you're forced to baby it.

The only cons I can state....but the pros outweigh the cons.

For me its perfect...on the go...surf webpages...simple photo stuff and word processing and spreadsheets

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
His opinion is just 1 opinion out of 7 billion humans.

And his opinion isn't even authoritative just because he's a famous developer. He types! So what, we all type. He clicks! We all click. He likes fast! We all like fast and know it when we (don't) see it.

The keyboard takes a little getting used to, and in the end, might not be as good as the fuller travel ones. But those are already not the world's best keyboards - they're really good laptop keyboards, but I don't use the aluminum Apple keyboard as my desktop daily driver for a reason.

His trackpad complaints are just wrong, IMO. The new trackpad is great. It's spooky how much the bump feels like a click. If you hadn't told me it was haptic, I would never have known. Seriously.

Yup, it's a slow CPU. But if you're, say, a 2011 11" MacBook Air user, you're not gonna care.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15". It's powerful, it's useful. I don't really take it out of my apartment often. I have an iMac at work, and I have a DIY gaming desktop at my apartment with the Macbook.

The fact that this little bugger comes in gold REALLY makes me want it though. I love how thin and small it is. The problem is, I feel like I'll never use it since I have so many computers that are all more powerful. I also have an iPad that I never use, because I use my laptop instead.

So what are the biggest reasons to avoid the MacBook? Please talk me into at least waiting a generation.

Ok you asked for it!! The "gold" is not real metal. It is a chemical pigment that is applied to the surface of the aluminum body. It has no material value whatsoever. It may look cool now but jump ahead 7 years and see if it's still cool. This computer is the current "flavor of the day." In five years it will be old news. That said if you have the cash available and want one buy it. Please don't take out a loan to fund this thing.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
it's a matter of need vs. want.

I have a fully specced late 09' 27" iMac at home and a base mid-2011 13" Macbook Air that is at work (and comes home with me during the weekends). On top of that, I also have an iPad Air as well as an iPhone 6+. I have enough computing power to do whatever the work I can throw at it.

But I, too, want the new Macbook. I won't get one though since I really don't need it. It's all about compromises and something only you can figure out on your own. If you feel as if you need an upgrade and you can justify the price, then by all means, go for it.

Personally, I don't find the need to buy one just yet. I am the perfect user for the new Macbook (non-power user, favor mobility over compute power), but my current 13" has been working absolutely perfect ever since the day I got it. There has never been any issue with each OS X upgrade (no lag or slowdowns) and all of the new features (Continuity/Handoff) has worked without a hitch.

I simply can't justify the price of the Macbook. Once the second iteration comes out (assuming it's a simply spec-bump), I am hoping the price drops down as well. Only then will I invest in a new Macbook (all the while selling both my iPad, Macbook Air, and possibly my old 27" iMac which I hardly ever use anymore).

See, this is what makes me want it more. On my laptop, I'm not a power user. I have a gaming PC to do all the heavy stuff. My MBP is just for browsing in bed, watching movies, ETC.

If the RMB had a 14" option alongside the 12", i would have already bought it.

My only other worry is the talk of the Core M doing really really poorly on low battery life.

----------

Ok you asked for it!! The "gold" is not real metal. It is a chemical pigment that is applied to the surface of the aluminum body. It has no material value whatsoever. It may look cool now but jump ahead 7 years and see if it's still cool. This computer is the current "flavor of the day." In five years it will be old news. That said if you have the cash available and want one buy it. Please don't take out a loan to fund this thing.

Haha I do have the cash available. However, I also have HUGE student loans so establishing savings to always be able to pay them is smart too.

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
My only other worry is the talk of the Core M doing really really poorly on low battery life.

I've found the battery life to be stellar. I do keep an eye on Activity Monitor to make sure I'm not throwing power away on something I'm not using, and that probably helps.
I'm pleasantly surprised by how long it lasts (all day) and how fast it charges (about 1% a minute)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15". It's powerful, it's useful. I don't really take it out of my apartment often. I have an iMac at work, and I have a DIY gaming desktop at my apartment with the Macbook.

The fact that this little bugger comes in gold REALLY makes me want it though. I love how thin and small it is. The problem is, I feel like I'll never use it since I have so many computers that are all more powerful. I also have an iPad that I never use, because I use my laptop instead.

So what are the biggest reasons to avoid the MacBook? Please talk me into at least waiting a generation.
You might as well get it. You are a collector of stuff. There is nothing wrong with that. I say get it. :) What good is money if you don't spend it. You can't take your money or your debts with you. Enjoy life. You've earned the right to own a retina MacBook.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

In five years time there will be something newer and cooler to replace it with though. Also even if you buy the top spec BTO and keep it 5 years it only works out only around a dollar a day to own and you could prob still sell for a couple of hundred dollars. :D.

That's how I like to justify my spending on expensive goods - price per wear/price per use! My Chanel sunglasses are now down to 11p (17c) per day and because they were fairly expensive to begin with I treat them with total care so they are still in excellent condition 4 years later.:cool:

But yeah don't buy if it puts you further in debt or you think you are unlikely to use given your current set up. Not worth it if it is going to gather dust!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I have been to Bestbuy twice and just to look and play with the new MB. Each time after about 30 minutes decide to pass and keep my late 2014 maxed out MBAir 13. A 13" screen is as small as I am willing to go and the MB reminds me of that limit.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Did you try setting the rMB to 1440x900? I don't find the difference when at this setting significant when compared to a 13" rMBP.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Been lingering on a purchase for a week now. My store has one reserved for me, in Gold and basemodel 1.1Ghz. Since the lightest version was so weak in benchmarks, my enthusiasm died along the way reading the reviews, though i am still trying to convince myself its a great purchase.

Anyhow, I don't really see the point, except for curiosity for Pro owners to check out whats up and coming. Macbook Air users should upgrade for the sake of the screen. Anything else than retina in 2015 is like using last weeks underwear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.