Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talkin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
If I rip CDs in 320 AAC and use the absolute highest possible quality settings in iTunes 12 should I expect a better quality sound file than a 256 matched AAC file from iTunes Match? If I use iTunes Match after ripping my CDs to 320 AAC, will these 320 files be uploaded or will the cloud files be replaced with 256 matched AAC? Thanks.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If I rip CDs in 320 AAC and use the absolute highest possible quality settings in iTunes 12 should I expect a better quality sound file than a 256 matched AAC file from iTunes Match?
Try it yourself and do a listening test (preferably get a friend to help you do a double-blind test). I doubt you'll be able to tell them apart.
If I use iTunes Match after ripping my CDs to 320 AAC, will these 320 files be uploaded or will the cloud files be replaced with 256 matched AAC? Thanks.
Files that are matched to songs in the store will be made available as 256kbps. AAC files that are not matched will be uploaded as is.

Reactions: EightyTwenty

talkin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Try it yourself and do a listening test (preferably get a friend to help you do a double-blind test). I doubt you'll be able to tell them apart.
Files that are matched to songs in the store will be made available as 256kbps. AAC files that are not matched will be uploaded as is.

Thanks, Rigby. I was thinking about doing a test as you suggest, though I'd probably want to do it on iPhone, MacbookPro and our home stereo system to determine range of variance on the devices we use for listening to music. I imagine anything other than, possibly, home stereo system would probably not be noticeable.

So if I have 320 AAC file on my MacbookPro, then iTunes Match will either provide (in the cloud) a 256 matched AAC if match is available or upload the 320 AAC file if no match is found, but nothing happens to the file on my MacbookPro, correct?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So if I have 320 AAC file on my MacbookPro, then iTunes Match will either provide (in the cloud) a 256 matched AAC if match is available or upload the 320 AAC file if no match is found, but nothing happens to the file on my MacbookPro, correct?
Yes. Your original file will not be replaced unless you delete and re-download it yourself after matching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.