Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It seems like they're taking away some space off of the first floor. Or am I looking at it wrong? Because if they do, considering how busy that store always is, I don't understand why.

And I liked the huge staircase too :(

I like the staircase, but at peak times it's a nightmare, two side staircases probably will be better.

rochford

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
It's worth checking out who the building owner is, check out clause 29 of the application form, excellent!

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Yep, it will be reduced according to the article:

I dislike the patented glass stairway in the middle, too wide and a headache to climb. I'd rather have two staircases as is being proposed right now, escalators would have been ideal but that isn't the Apple way.
I didn't read the whole article, only looked at the plants, thank you.

I like the staircase, but at peak times it's a nightmare, two side staircases probably will be better.

Yes, if looking at it as the utility it is, no doubt that two will probably be better but aesthetically I love that thing.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Need another branch, at least.

London needs more branches, full stop. Forget the story about the re-jigging of this place for a moment (and making the floor plate area smaller in the process), and think how the branch is over-busy 24/7. As is Covent Garden.

Reason: too few London stores, that's why. In zones 3/4/5 there is next to no branches to pop into, even for a bloody cable.

I just order online from Amazon or some other third-party small things, as I certainly cannot be arsed to trapse into Central London zone 1 (or Shepherd's Bush/White City zone 2, for that matter!) for such trivialities. Even being in zone 3, from a West London POV, there are NO branches from W4 to the outskirts of town, which is quite ridiculous in a city as sprawling as London is.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
From that image, it looks like they're ditching the theatre.

----------

London needs more branches, full stop. Forget the story about the re-jigging of this place for a moment (and making the floor plate area smaller in the process), and think how the branch is over-busy 24/7. As is Covent Garden.

Reason: too few London stores, that's why. In zones 3/4/5 there is next to no branches to pop into, even for a bloody cable.

I just order online from Amazon or some other third-party small things, as I certainly cannot be arsed to trapse into Central London zone 1 (or Shepherd's Bush/White City zone 2, for that matter!) for such trivialities. Even being in zone 3, from a West London POV, there are NO branches from W4 to the outskirts of town, which is quite ridiculous in a city as sprawling as London is.

Brent Cross
https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/brentcross/
As for official Apple Cables, Argos can provide - I'm sure there's one of those closer.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1168790.htm

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
According to a document in the application, this photo was taken in 2004!

Sure, we had iCloud, the iPhone 4s and MacBook Airs in 2004... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 12.23.45.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 12.23.45.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 85

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

Agree. At the very least there should be one in the City; all that disposable income!

But it's not good that they're reducing the floorspace, it could do with more if anything. It also looks like they are reducing the accessories and other third party items that they sell; for example there are now hardly any laptop bags/cases/backpacks when previously there was a good choice.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Only Apple store I've been in with a toilet!

The only store with a lavatory? Good to know.

----------

I'm afraid that for those slumming it in the suburbs, one has to make do with no Apple Stores. That's life.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
It's worth checking out who the building owner is, check out clause 29 of the application form, excellent!

That same owner owns almost the entire street (Regent street, named for the Prince Regent who later became George IV)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Not arguing there isn't room for more, but there are several Apple stores in Suburban London:

- Brent Cross
- Kingston
- Stratford
- Bluewater (technically in Kent, but draws plenty of traffic from outer E/SE of London)

Croydon will also almost certainly get an Apple store in the next few years as the Whitgift Centre is redeveloped.

The common theme for suburban stores is that they are all located in shopping malls. Other than White City I can't think of any top-tier malls in West London that Apple would be interested in moving into.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Not arguing there isn't room for more, but there are several Apple stores in Suburban London:

- Brent Cross
- Kingston
- Stratford
- Bluewater (technically in Kent, but draws plenty of traffic from outer E/SE of London)

Croydon will also almost certainly get an Apple store in the next few years as the Whitgift Centre is redeveloped.

The common theme for suburban stores is that they are all located in shopping malls. Other than White City I can't think of any top-tier malls in West London that Apple would be interested in moving into.

Yeah, there is that for West London, but if the likes of NYC can have more local branches across the city, a few more in a city of 8-9m people should surely not go amiss.

Trouble is London has so much centralism of quality shopping, that makes the outer districts suffer greatly – thinking here about parts of the north circular road I was driving the other day that are just dumps of zero regeneration and buildings falling apart!

Boris loves to have his picture taken in glossy Central London or Silicon Roundabout, saying "best city in the world, yadda yadda", but take him to the old London outer districts and he has no regeneration plan "ideas", lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.