Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have 10.6 on one of my drives and am experiencing video cut-outs (as in black screen) regularly. I think it may have to do with my Sonnet Tempo Pro, which requires 10.6.8.

The problem is that the screen keeps going black during the download so I can't "see" the file to check on progress etc.

I have hooked up my Macbook using file sharing (screen sharing won't work due to the video problems) and thought I'd check on download progress.

But I can't find where the combo update is downloaded to. I've checked in various folders in Library and ~Library and in Applications, Downloads etc but can't find it.

Thanks for any help
Philip

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OP:

Have you tried downloading this:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

Save it to the desktop or your downloads folder.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that's the one. But Software Update doesn't let me pick a destination.

Last night I managed to complete the download before the video cut out. I also started the installation process...and then the video cut out....Sigh. I left the computer for a while, then it restarted (heard the Bong) and now it is just standing there waiting for input. I have no idea how I will be able to update to 10.6.8 with this video problem.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Yes that's the one. But Software Update doesn't let me pick a destination.

Last night I managed to complete the download before the video cut out. I also started the installation process...and then the video cut out....Sigh. I left the computer for a while, then it restarted (heard the Bong) and now it is just standing there waiting for input. I have no idea how I will be able to update to 10.6.8 with this video problem.

It's really unlikely that the video problem is due to 10.6.8 not being installed. What model computer is this?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's really unlikely that the video problem is due to 10.6.8 not being installed. What model computer is this?

It's the Mac Pro in the footer. I was thinking it might have to do with the Sonnet Tempo Pro which requires 10.6.8+. But it could also be that the video card is broken somehow. I'm a little bit lost for ideas to be honest.

I also have a Macbook Pro 13 Retina (previous version). Can I hook that one up somehow to the Mac Pro and use its screen?

Thanks in advance
Philip

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's the Mac Pro in the footer. I was thinking it might have to do with the Sonnet Tempo Pro which requires 10.6.8+. But it could also be that the video card is broken somehow.
You can remove the video card and try to boot the computer without it if you have screen sharing enabled to test that.
Do you have another disk in the computer you can use if you remove the Tempo Pro?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can remove the video card and try to boot the computer without it if you have screen sharing enabled to test that.
Do you have another disk in the computer you can use if you remove the Tempo Pro?

The 10.6 volume is actually not on the Sonnet but on a separate HDD.

And, oddly, when I boot into 10.6 and access via screen sharing from my Macbook the screen sharing will cut out at the same time the display goes black. So I'm not sure screen sharing would be stable enough.

If I boot into my 10.9 installation and plug in another HDD, is there a way to install 10.6.8 on that HDD but while I'm booted into 10.9?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then your testing is easy. Remove the Sonnet and boot from 10.6.

Yes, in theory you're completely right. It's just that the 10.6.8 install hasn't completed.

I think I'll hard reset and boot into 10.9 using the boot menu (hoping the screen doesn't black out), wipe the 10.6 volume in Disk Utility and then think of a way to install 10.6.8 onto that volume while booted into 10.9. I can't remember now if Snow Leopard let's you choose the destination.

Really appreciate your help btw. Thank you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, in theory you're completely right. It's just that the 10.6.8 install hasn't completed.
Right, but if you take out the Sonnet, you'll be able to theoretically boot from 10.6 and get your install of 10.6.8 going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.