Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I've been searching around for cables and adapters that will allow me to connect my Mid 2007 MacBook Pro to my 2560x1440 monitor, using the DVI output of the MBP and the HDMI input of the monitor.
I have purchased an adapter which looked to be dual-link, but it doesn't work.

Is this really not possible?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Does the version of HDMI that you are trying to use support the resolution that you are trying to use?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Does the version of HDMI that you are trying to use support the resolution that you are trying to use?

My monitor (Dell U2515H) does support that resolution through HDMI, if that's what you're asking. I believe it's using 1.4.

All's good as far as the computer and the monitor goes. I just need the right cable (if it exists).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have purchased an adapter which looked to be dual-link, but it doesn't work.

You cannot base your purchase based on what the adapter "looked to be," but on what it is. You need a Dual-Link DVI-to-HDMI adapter. My inspection of the Apple Store shows that it sells only Single-Link DVI-to-HDMI adapters. However, the adapters that you need are available at Amazon.com. You may also do a search to locate stores in Denmark that sell these are similar adapters.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You cannot base your purchase based on what the adapter "looked to be," but on what it is.

- Right. But sometimes it's quite hard to know what they actually are. There are a lot of fake dual-link cables out there which have the middle pins but actually only transmit a single-link signal.
And I saw one DVI-HDMI cable on Amazon claim support for 4096x2160, which is clearly wrong as DVI isn't capable of such high resolutions.
My point is that you can't necessarily count on what's listed.

However, the adapters that you need are available at Amazon.com.
- Thanks, but all those list support only for "up to 1080p".

I've been reading around and in more than one place (such as here) people are saying it isn't possible to go from the dual-link signal of DVI to the single-link signal that HDMI uses without an active adapter. Which sort of sounds reasonable, but I really hope it isn't the case.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
- Right. But sometimes it's quite hard to know what they actually are. There are a lot of fake dual-link cables out there which have the middle pins but actually only transmit a single-link signal.
And I saw one DVI-HDMI cable on Amazon claim support for 4096x2160, which is clearly wrong as DVI isn't capable of such high resolutions.
My point is that you can't necessarily count on what's listed.

- Thanks, but all those list support only for "up to 1080p".

I've been reading around and in more than one place (such as here) people are saying it isn't possible to go from the dual-link signal of DVI to the single-link signal that HDMI uses without an active adapter. Which sort of sounds reasonable, but I really hope it isn't the case.
So you have three issues:
  1. You have an old computer that outputs Dual-Link DVI. There is no incentive for anyone to develop new adapters to support it.
  2. You favorite user forums say that existing Dual-Link DVI adapters are passive.
  3. HDMI support is limited to 1080p.
There are times in your life when you must bow to reality.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
so you have three issues:
  1. you have an old computer that outputs dual-link dvi. There is no incentive for anyone to develop new adapters to support it.
  2. you favorite user forums say that existing dual-link dvi adapters are passive.
  3. hdmi support is limited to 1080p.
there are times in your life when you must bow to reality.

1. Fair point, actually.

2. Which is certainly true. I'm not even sure an active adapter going from DVI to HDMI exists.

3. What HDMI support? If you mean the cables, I'd venture that they're limited by their single-link DVI, not their HDMI.

Because of some of your comments, I'd also just like to add that it's not like I insist on living in the past with hardware from 2007.
My main machine is a Quad-core 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with SSD (as per signature), which I use in clamshell mode with my UltraSharp monitor of the newest generation via DisplayPort. The 2007 MBP is just one I have for toying around with, and when I do that it'd be cool if I could do it on my proper 1440p IPS monitor instead of the lowly 1440x900 TN panel it has. But if not, it's not the end of the world. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.