Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
for ethernet side of things, just get the Moshi USB Ethernet adapter.
It is 1000Base-T and has a USB3 passthrough connector.

User reviews have been less than stellar on this model. Besides, if I wanted to carry around an extra dongle, I'd just use Apple's own USB Ethernet adaptor, which doesn't require any drivers and is very stable.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Thunderbolt cable is pin-compatible with miniDisplayPort, so it can be used to connect to non-Thunderbold (mDP) displays.

- Yes, I know. But seeing that Thunderbolt cable connected and an Apple monitor on the table makes me think it's a Thunderbolt Display. In any event, something's off, since the ACD doesn't have a TB cable and the TD won't work on the Hub+.

Unless they're using a Mini DisplayPort female-female coupler on an ACD and then a TB cable from there to the Hub+. But that just seems too bizarre.

------------

Just an update here: Have you tried using a TB cable to connect a mDP display? According to this Apple support article, the Apple Thunderbolt cable only works on Thunderbolt ports.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
They say they will send out a survey before shipping.

In theory this looks like a good adapter. My main concern is that the developer has no track record. They put up screen shots supposedly showing tests, but aren't showing the product even though they say it will start shipping in a month shortly after the funding period ends.

Have none of you ever participated in a kick starter? They send out a survey after the effort is funded and ask you for your color choice your address and other information they need so that when they're ready to ship they can do so.

Most kickstarter efforts have no track record.

Finally they have guaranteed funding they have reached their funding goal. they will receive the money that everybody has pledged there are no if's and's or butts about it. For all we know they've already started production of this unit.

samf1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
Have none of you ever participated in a kick starter? They send out a survey after the effort is funded and ask you for your color choice your address and other information they need so that when they're ready to ship they can do so.

Most kickstarter efforts have no track record.

Finally they have guaranteed funding they have reached their funding goal. they will receive the money that everybody has pledged there are no if's and's or butts about it. For all we know they've already started production of this unit.

I agree with ZipZap. The kickstarter has been fully funded, so they should start production as soon as they can. I checked out their company website, and the company seems fine. It seems unorthodox to use a kickstarter to essentially pre-sell products, but I'm hoping for the best. Still excited to receive my Hub+,

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Also, if the hub remains plugged in to the wall but not the rMB, does it still supply power to the USB3 ports? So can I leave these devices on charge when the rMB is somewhere else?
Good question, I'd expect the Macbook to be required for charging the devices. Except if you swap the charging cable to the other USB-C port.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It seems unorthodox to use a kickstarter to essentially pre-sell products, but I'm hoping for the best.

It's actually becoming more common. When established businesses do this it seems very shady and deceptive and will get no support from me. The example that comes to mind the is the most recent Pebble watch. There are others instances but I can't think of them at the moment.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I have a question about this one. Since Apple's supplied USB-C power cable is power only, not data, you would have to buy your own long USB-C male to male cable in order to place this hub next to the wall charger as opposed to next to the MB, right?

lostboyz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Singapore
just received an email that the hub+ have a new stretch goal of 500k, if reached backers will have a choice to choose with or without battery.

Without battery - same size and width

With battery - "double the capacity to 800 mAh" and will increase the width of the hub+ by 4mm width

**800 mAh?? it seems very little? or is it a typo from their side?
shld be 8000 mAh right?

For me i would prefer the non batter version.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
just received an email that the hub+ have a new stretch goal of 500k, if reached backers will have a choice to choose with or without battery.

**800 mAh?? it seems very little? or is it a typo from their side?
shld be 8000 mAh right?

For me i would prefer the non batter version.

It is 800mAh, or about 44%of the capacity of the iPhone 6.

samf1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
I believe the battery does hold about 1/2 charge for an iPhone, from what I can garner from the kickstarter page. And yes, reaching the $500K stretch goal would be interesting since they would offer the non-battery option. Probably would be a little lighter

----------

It's actually becoming more common. When established businesses do this it seems very shady and deceptive and will get no support from me. The example that comes to mind the is the most recent Pebble watch. There are others instances but I can't think of them at the moment.

Really? Did Pebble use a similar sales tactic? I guess I missed that kickstarter

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
they have now included a mdp to hdmi adapter for a small sum of money.

I have a dumb question.....what would this HDMI adapter be useful for? The answer is prob nothing for me if I don't know already!!

I can up my early bird pledge by $3 for this. But can't think what I might use it for! I did think about my Amazon Firestick and then woke up and realised I don't need that for streaming Amazon TV on my MacBook :eek::eek::eek:

For $3 it's prob not worth worrying too much whether I will use but I would be interested to know.

I know it has been discussed above briefly but what are people's general thoughts about (if the the 500k stretch goal is reached) what version they would prefer? I am thinking non battery version since I have about 3 external batteries for charging my phone already - and they mostly fully charge my phone.......but it would be one thing less to carry when travelling.

samf1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
I have a dumb question.....what would this HDMI adapter be useful for? The answer is prob nothing for me if I don't know already!!

I can up my early bird pledge by $3 for this. But can't think what I might use it for! I did think about my Amazon Firestick and then woke up and realised I don't need that for streaming Amazon TV on my MacBook :eek::eek::eek:

For $3 it's prob not worth worrying too much whether I will use but I would be interested to know.

I know it has been discussed above briefly but what are people's general thoughts about (if the the 500k stretch goal is reached) what version they would prefer? I am thinking non battery version since I have about 3 external batteries for charging my phone already - and they mostly fully charge my phone.......but it would be one thing less to carry when travelling.

I believe the HDMI converter is to convert from the MDP port to HDMI, if you need that connection. I believe Thunderbolt also is compatible with the MDP, but theoretically you should be able to use either HDMI or Thunderbolt if you have the adapter they're offering for the extra $3

sangalang

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Decided to pledge after few days of contemplating.
Yet another item to eagerly wait for next 4-6 weeks (thank you  for paving the way...:rolleyes:) although admittedly this appears to be well above average for many Kickstarter projects.

Just a question to those who pledged - how many of you plan to use the built in SD reader?
Personally I think that space would be better utilised for additional one or two USB-C ports for data, given this new standard will be the future and all...
For the record I don't own any devices with SD cards so I may be biased :p

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well, they hit the $500,000 stretch goal, so they will have 2 versions, one with battery and one without. They are also down to about 45 pledges left of the version with the HDMI adapter, but they still have over 300 pledges left with the hub and mini adapter.

With over 4,000 pledges on Kickstarter for this, I wonder how many mini-hubs Apple could have sold if they had released something like this for $129.

----------

Just a question to those who pledged - how many of you plan to use the built in SD reader?
Personally I think that space would be better utilised for additional one or two USB-C ports for data, given this new standard will be the future and all...
For the record I don't own any devices with SD cards so I may be biased :p

I think the creators said that it is not possible to replicate the full USB-C functionality in a second port. What they are essentially doing is splitting the USB-C functionality into its USB-A, DisplayPort, and charging components. They claim it's the same approach that Apple is using (which is why Apple's own adapters have only the charging capacity through the USB-C port).

My guess is, Apple's wireless world messaging notwithstanding, when they mainstream the MacBook they will add a second USB-C port on the other side (like Google's Chromebook) to enable charging and connecting to a USB-C device at the same time. Either that, or we'll see USB-C to USB-C hubs that separate the charging function from "everything else" to enable connecting one or more USB-C devices in the future while still charging the MacBook.

sangalang

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
@KPOM

Appreciate the insightful answer. I guess this gizmo is still quite an engineering feat, and having a SD slot is better than none at all (I wonder if those SD cards built specifically for MBAs will fit just as well...).

500k goal is great news. Just goes to show the size of the 'niche' market  is missing out on, although half a million dollar may still not represent much to their boardroom to warrant urgent action.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Am now really starting to question whether I will need this item. I have already got the Apple adapter for connecting my cameras (DSLR, GoPro, etc.) I would use the SD card reader over connecting my camera but that alone is not enough. I don't plan to connect my rMB to an external monitor. I already have external battery packs for my iPhone.

The only advantage I can see is the ability to charge my laptop whilst having devices also connected. Am I missing something? Will it be better for backing up to an external drive?

My rMB arrives today and there are around 12 days left for me to decide..........

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Am now really starting to question whether I will need this item. I have already got the Apple adapter for connecting my cameras (DSLR, GoPro, etc.) I would use the SD card reader over connecting my camera but that alone is not enough. I don't plan to connect my rMB to an external monitor. I already have external battery packs for my iPhone.

The only advantage I can see is the ability to charge my laptop whilst having devices also connected. Am I missing something? Will it be better for backing up to an external drive?

My rMB arrives today and there are around 12 days left for me to decide..........

I must say I'm getting concerned that there have been comments for the past 3 days from people asking for the promised demo, and there has been no response yet.

samf1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
I must say I'm getting concerned that there have been comments for the past 3 days from people asking for the promised demo, and there has been no response yet.

I bet a lot more becomes clear after the Kickstarter ends. They'll prob post some more info after they get their first shipment in

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I bet a lot more becomes clear after the Kickstarter ends. They'll prob post some more info after they get their first shipment in
But once the KickStarter ends, then they charge everyone's cards. The concern is that they pull a delay announcement then.

samf1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
But once the KickStarter ends, then they charge everyone's cards. The concern is that they pull a delay announcement then.
Yes, that would be the concern. Hoping it comes together I guess. They got recognition as a 'featured Kickstarter page', chosen by the Kickstarter staff. Does that say anything about reliability?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
6 week delay just announced, likely due to the fact they ditched USB2 and upgraded to USB3 that meant finding a new chipset and a re-design. Throw in the change regarding the battery and you've got a nice delay...but to be fair I've yet to back a KS hardware project that isn't delayed.

As for featured being a measure of reliability? Nope, the KS staff simply like the look of it.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
I just cancelled. So there is one eaerly bird spot available if anyone wants!

Decided I really do not need this..........nice though it looks I am a mainly leisure user and don't need to connect more than one item at a time.

techfinder

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
It's *almost* good. If it had USB 3.0 (or higher) and HDMI, I might have considered it. Ethernet would be nice too, but not as much of a deal breaker for me.

They should include both DP and HDMI. If they can't run both at once, make one port dominant so that the other is disabled if both are connected, no need for a physical switch.

Also, people need to start including some additional USB-C ports on these hub designs instead of two ports just to pass power through. USB-C is the future.
check this one out, it has additional USB Type C ports

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714748206/the-kadi-port-a-macbook-essential

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.