Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Disclaimer: please don't take my comments personally, I'm only using your post as an example, since it's exactly like hundreds or thousands of others, before it, in the forum here over the last few years.

That said, "why is _______ (fill in the blank, with the source being attacked or discredited) even reported?"

This is a unique phenomenon to this and other Apple centric forums. Attack the Source, the Analyst, the Publication, and on and on. Hit them with a low blow to help continue the spirit of Apple arrogance and superiority.

In other, non Apple forums, rumors originating from various sources are a welcome discussion starter. Rarely do the members get offended, take the rumors personally and go on an attack even if they don't agree with the source.

It's what makes Apple and it's community so abrasive and disputatious.

Perhaps it's a need stemming from insecurity or a need for attention. Or a burning desire to argue or create conflict, just for the sake of it.

It's certainly interesting, that's for sure :)

It's not a matter of "agreeing" with the source. It's not an editorial, it's a rumor. When you start a rumor, it either turns out to be true or false, there's no real middle-ground as with an opinion.

So it's really easy to attribute some kind of reliability score to each source, basically just the proportion of rumors they have gotten right. I have the opinion that rumor sources that have less than say, 25% reliability shouldn't be reported, because with such a low accuracy it's very unlikely that they aren't just making stuff up just to get page views, and revenues.

It's not an Apple thing, it's an Internet thing. The business model of free blogs paid for by ads encourages dishonest practices that I don't want to encourage. Someone could do the same about another topic, say, celebs, and just start a rumor like "We heard X celeb is now dating Y celeb" that they completely made up just to generate ad impressions. It would be just as bad and I would, just like here, discourage the propagation of such bull.

I'm not sure exactly what's the point you're trying to make with your superiority thing. How is pointing out a specific source is not reliable making me feeling superior exactly? I just want rumors to be reliable, not made up crap. I don't think all rumors should be perceived as having the same reliability, and should have to be taken with the same grain of salt like you seem to imply.

Does my desire to eliminate intentional misinformation which the only purpose is to generate additional revenues make me a bad person? Should I not react to what I consider unethical?

Last edited:

kaplag

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Physical keys do not change because they're physical keys. On a virtual keyboard, the keys can be anything, and if changing the key caps depending on the context (like when you press the number key) aids usability, then there's absolutely no reason not to do it. Sticking rigidly to the paradigm of the physical world is exactly what Apple is trying to move away from, yet the keyboard is stuck in skeumorphism.

Sometimes things that change are not always best. When I first used some of the android keyboards it confused me when all the keys changed. it was visually distracting and while I know that G and g are the same, when I'm used to only looking for G on a keyboard and that shape is not there it takes me a little extra brain processes to figure out g is the same thing. (i know that sounds stupid, but when you are in a rush and have a dozen other things on your mind that matters)

That would be my educated guess. I haven't used android enough to think that it is better the other way, but I've never wished for it to be different. Only that they do make the state of the shift key easily readable.

meustrus

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
What a picture to use for the "Buy Album" button. I had to do a double take because the album art made it look like the return of skeuomorphism!

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Apple, keep the keyboard all capitals. There's no need to make it lowercase/capitals like an ugly Android keyboard. Such design just messes with readability and usability. Thanks.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Apple, keep the keyboard all capitals. There's no need to make it lowercase/capitals like an ugly Android keyboard. Such design just messes with readability and usability. Thanks.

I agree. Do not change the keyboard in that fashion or at least make it turn off able.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
I haven't jailbroken since iOS 3, so am a but rusty, but are jailbreaks achieved through a security exploit? In other words, a potential vulnerability that could expose all iOS 7 users to malicious attacks? In theory, anyway. If so, and I believe the answer is YES, then Apple has an obligation to protect the mass majority of stock iOS 7 users from this risk, no matter haw small the risk is.

No, not at all. you see, jail breakers are able to run third party code that disables their entire phone's security, with no consequences at all.

----------

Forget Siri sounding better, I'd be grateful if she, ahem *HE* for us Brits could simply understand a single word I said. Not that this is a new problem...

To be fair, it'd be easier to understand you if you actually paused between separate words...

ControlC

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
I been using iOS 7 since beta one, back on June. I was never aware of this "problem" until i read about it on Macrumors....

Yeah, I haven't noticed the caps lock thing either. I don't know why everyone says it's a huge problem. I call iOS 7 a mess for other GUI reasons.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is what's called "jumping the gun"

Only to retract the "March" availability to a few weeks. Obviously, not a very good source.

Most smart rumors would wait until they know a bit more detail.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Sorry to be that guy, but "exponentially better" doesn't make sense for only 2 data points. Anyway, I know what you mean, and I hope a jailbreak comes out for it soon so I can get those improvements (if they exist).

----------

Exponentially means better by an order of magnitude (You can look that up as a reference) - apparently they weren't easy to read - my complaint (shared by a lot of beta testers) and they were fixed - Apple went to the trouble of fixing it. Suffice it to say, yes you are that guy :) It's been fixed and about jailbreaking - someone will do it....

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
No, not at all. you see, jail breakers are able to run third party code that disables their entire phone's security, with no consequences at all.

There have been a few malicious exploits that targets jail breakers in the past. Though, the interesting thing about jailbreaking is when other exploits are patched faster than Apple what provides.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I'm with ZacUSNYR on the keyboard. Show small letters, and make them caps only when the shift or caps lock is on. That's how android does it (at least the phones I've tested)

I wanna know if they've sorted out the stupid landscape music mode. Who on earth keeps a record collection or music shop or any other arrangement of music alphabetically by album name? Everyone ALWAYS does it by artist name. Even if you want that then at least give me an option for the sensible order in landscape mode somewhere, even if it's not just automatic when I'm browsing portrait my artist! I used to regularly browse with coverflow, I now NEVER use landscape mode even though I like the tile idea.

Nice they've added the list back to calendar. That was my one other gripe.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
----------

Exponentially means better by an order of magnitude (You can look that up as a reference) - apparently they weren't easy to read - my complaint (shared by a lot of beta testers) and they were fixed - Apple went to the trouble of fixing it. Suffice it to say, yes you are that guy :) It's been fixed and about jailbreaking - someone will do it....

Um. No. In the original post "exponentially" was hyperbole. A deliberate exaggeration for affect.

But exponentially is NOT an order of magnitude. An order of magnitude means specifically 10x. 2 orders being 100x. It makes a nice straight line and it is a specific form of geometric progression. Exponentially is the number times itself by the number of the exponent. It makes a graph that is curved sharply upwards as you go along.

As to someone doing it. Well it gets harder to find security flaws that will let you do it, especially in the nice drive-by ways that exist now. The ability will become ever more difficult going forward. And this isn't a bad thing, if you want a secure phone.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Um. No. In the original post "exponentially" was hyperbole. A deliberate exaggeration for affect.

But exponentially is NOT an order of magnitude. An order of magnitude means specifically 10x. 2 orders being 100x. It makes a nice straight line and it is a specific form of geometric progression. Exponentially is the number times itself by the number of the exponent. It makes a graph that is curved sharply upwards as you go along.

As to someone doing it. Well it gets harder to find security flaws that will let you do it, especially in the nice drive-by ways that exist now. The ability will become ever more difficult going forward. And this isn't a bad thing, if you want a secure phone.

Way to go taking me literally... "It's a lot better at visually representing it's 'On' vs 'Off' state..."

Better now? /sarcasm :p

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Do people actually exist that can't tell when the shift key is on? ROFL No wonder people need to be able to change every setting known to man. I must be a genius because since I've had the first generation of iPhone, I have NEVER wondered, hey is the shift key on?

The shift key is entirely arbitrary, and an Apple convention. Why should anyone need to learn, and remember, an arbitrary vendor convention in order to effectively use a product. The fact that it's not an issue for some people suggests that perhaps those people don't have enough actual USEFUL information they need to learn and retain.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The shift key is entirely arbitrary, and an Apple convention. Why should anyone need to learn, and remember, an arbitrary vendor convention in order to effectively use a product. The fact that it's not an issue for some people suggests that perhaps those people don't have enough actual USEFUL information they need to learn and retain.
It's been a year since this already happened. Perhaps they might change something related to it (and/or the keyboard overall) in iOS 9, if there's anything to the recent rumors about it. Alternatively, since iOS 8 there are also third party keyboards that are available which some people might like instead. That's basically about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.