Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwkua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Hi,
I'm interested in selling my 2010 15" macbook pro and don't want to deal with ebay/craigslist and individuals. I saw that a number of sites will buy laptops off you, clean them up, and resell them and it seems like a super easy way to go. I got the best offers on cashforlaptops.com, goroostr.com, and sellyourmac.com. I was wondering if anyone has used these services and if there have been any problems?
Thanks

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Hi,
I'm interested in selling my 2010 15" macbook pro and don't want to deal with ebay/craigslist and individuals. I saw that a number of sites will buy laptops off you, clean them up, and resell them and it seems like a super easy way to go. I got the best offers on cashforlaptops.com, goroostr.com, and sellyourmac.com. I was wondering if anyone has used these services and if there have been any problems?
Thanks

Sites such as those exist to make a profit, they buy the device from you and resell it to make a profit. This means that you will likely not gain as much this way as you would by selling it directly to an end user. I would recommend eBay or Craig's list instead.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Sossity

macrumors 65816
May 12, 2010
yes, I agree, you will get more from ebay and or craigs list, I recently sold my laptop, and compared sellyourmac.com to ebay, and actually got more from ebay. To avoid problems on ebay, be very clear on your selling terms, and ship with insurance. Have a good description and clear photos.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
gazelle will purchase them too. You are much better off trying to sell it on your own. If you want to sell it just to get something out of it and don't want the hassle of CL/ebay, sellyourmac or gazelle is probably the best options.

Reactions: ABC5S

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Online sites are the worst place to sell a machine, go with Simply Mac or the best way to get the best money is local ads or ebay. I list mine on a local ad site from a news station and get about 80-85% of what I paid for it and it's a bit safer that Craig's List. :)

Kal.

Reactions: ABC5S

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
ebay or I really like Amazon. Amazon makes you wait a few weeks to get the money, but its an overall better experience IMO. If you can't wait do eBay. Craigslist always feels kinda risky.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Hi,
Thanks

Nothing beats a cash sale via craigslist. Meet at a Starbucks, so he buyer can check out the computer with their wifi. Also, it's a safe/public place.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
You'll get the highest price on ebay but you have to subtract 10% selling fee and 3% Paypal fee plus shipping.
Depending where you live, Craigslist can get you the most.
Especially in an area with a large hipster community like Seattle :D

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
#Amazon. Highly recommended. Just sold my 2013 MacBook Pro at a reasonable price and now I'm using it to buy the 2015 model ##

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
I would suggest selling your Macbook Pro to either Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, or SYM if you do not want to sell it to a private party. Just choose whoever offers your the highest cash trade in value.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
#Amazon. Highly recommended. Just sold my 2013 MacBook Pro at a reasonable price and now I'm using it to buy the 2015 model ##

This. Amazon is very easy to use, it takes little time to prepare the laptop thanks to internet recovery, and there are very few scammers. The 10% or whatever commission hurts, but if you don't want to deal with Craigslist, it beats any other sites I can think of.

----------

Also, Paypal blows and not using it is always a plus. Do note that there is a 2 week delay after the sale to receive your payment on Amazon.

Frost17

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Amazon if you don't want any risks or sell it on Craigslist for a little more cash.

gordian

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
When I sell anything, Apple products included, I like to exhaust the free option first— (Craigslist). No listing fee and if you only accept cash then no commission.

I use eBay sold items as a guide for an asking price and I take lots of pictures. Meeting in a public place or an Apple Store as others suggested is definitely a good idea for Apple products.

My last resorts in order of preference would be: eBay, Amazon, then any of the other sites mentioned throughout this thread.

Last edited:

kimberly121q

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Addison, IL
Sites such as those exist to make a profit, they buy the device from you and resell it to make a profit. This means that you will likely not gain as much this way as you would by selling it directly to an end user. I would recommend eBay or Craig's list instead.
Thanks for the advice! I sold it using eBay, buyer claimed it wasn't as described so paypal withheld the payment until the buyer returned the item. He actually returned the box i ship it in, but not the macbook. PayPal refunded him the money and I was left with an empty box. Save your comments about reporting it to the police, filing claims etc. I tried everything. 2 months fighting and trying everything. PayPal and eBay contract are sealed tight to protect buyers, not sellers. I understand why these other reseller sites exists.
And no, I'm not trying Craigslist, I hate dealing with low lives, bums and thieves. Sorry.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I used both Gazelle and Simply Mac and satisfied with both but you can do better with a tad of risk elsewhere like EBay. Simply Mac is located in some Malls like mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.