Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Didn't actually watch the keynote video, but I was checking out multiple live blogs. Did the font change to San Francisco? Some elements seemed like it, but the text typed into Spotlight didn't quite.. Hope they don't use both in the UI..

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I noticed that as well:
el-capitan-02.png

Spotlight doesn't use the system font for the search text in Yosemite either though. It's quite noticeably still Helvetica on my iMac despite the system font change to San Francisco.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
It lists 'new system font' as one of the new features in the keynote, I think this is something that will be introduced fully in a later build. I also noticed the similar thing on the iOS 9 demo, the new Siri screen was in San Fransisco whilst the rest of the UI was Helvetica. It's a bit odd that they didn't get this sorted for the keynote, must have been a last minute change.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Afaik the press release said it is San Francisco.

"OS X El Capitan refinements begin with the new system font, San Francisco, a modern and easy-to-read typeface that looks stunning on a Retina® display. ..."

Last edited:

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
It lists 'new system font' as one of the new features in the keynote, I think this is something that will be introduced fully in a later build. I also noticed the similar thing on the iOS 9 demo, the new Siri screen was in San Fransisco whilst the rest of the UI was Helvetica. It's a bit odd that they didn't get this sorted for the keynote, must have been a last minute change.

The whole UI of iOS 9 is SF, and as for it not being mentioned, a typeface change probably doesn't come across as a big deal to a lot of iOS users.

zxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
New Zealand
I noticed that as well:
el-capitan-02.png

Spotlight doesn't use the system font for the search text in Yosemite either though. It's quite noticeably still Helvetica on my iMac despite the system font change to San Francisco.

That's a helvetica-ish version of San Francisco, not helvetica. Look closer.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
From Apple's website, "
New system font.
The new Chinese system font PingFang is designed for a modern appearance and crisp onscreen readability in both Traditional and Simplified Chinese."

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
That's a helvetica-ish version of San Francisco, not helvetica. Look closer.

Yeah. The screenshots on the Apple website look a lot like Helvetica, esp. the "e" is very much rounded and wider instead of the more characteristic shape of SF. I'd call it San Franvetica.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
If you open TextEdit is the San Francisco Font available to use in a document?
No, you can't choose San Francisco as installed by default. However, if you go to previously used, "System Font" show up and in the font file it says "San Francisco is a trademark of Apple Inc.".

Reactions: grahamperrin

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't like the sound of this.

They need to optimize for those "ancient" non-retina screens too. I have a retina display, but it's closed 90% of the time hooked up to 24" displays with a 96 PPI. While not terrible, it's certainly not retina. Don't build for displays that 75%+ of your consumers don't use.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
They need to optimize for those "ancient" non-retina screens too. I have a retina display, but it's closed 90% of the time hooked up to 24" displays with a 96 PPI. While not terrible, it's certainly not retina. Don't build for displays that 75%+ of your consumers don't use.

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME: One feature I REALLY wanted in Yosemite was a bold font option. Is there one under accessibility for El Capitan?

EDIT: somehow, I quoted myself? :confused:

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No, you can't choose San Francisco as installed by default. However, if you go to previously used, "System Font" show up and in the font file it says "San Francisco is a trademark of Apple Inc.".
I think by release this will be ironed out and San Francisco will be made available. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is still assessing the look and feel of iOS and OS X.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Here is a better font comparison. Helvetica Neue followed by the 10.11 version of San Francisco.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I actually think I like the 10.11 font better :)

I'm surprised because I didn't care for the Watch version of San Francisco on OS X, but this one looks more refined.

EDIT: I will add, it's a subtle difference. Definitely noticeable to an aware user, but I suspect most people won't even notice.

HLX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
You're right, I just posted this comparison on another thread. San Francisco on the left, 10.11 font on the right.
font-comparison-png.559609

Aesthetically I prefer the left, but my typographic head says the right is that bit more legible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.