Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Hi All,

The system clock on my Mac mini is starting to lose a few minutes a week. Would replacing the PRAM battery on the logic board correct this?

Thanks!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hi All,

The system clock on my Mac mini is starting to lose a few minutes a week. Would replacing the PRAM battery on the logic board correct this?

Thanks!

Click on System Preferences under the  logo on the menu bar.

Click on Date & Time

Check the "Set time and date automatically" box, and select the appropriate drop down menu choice……

Sorted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.03.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.03.41 AM.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 171

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Click on System Preferences under the  logo on the menu bar.

Click on Date & Time

Check the "Set time and date automatically" box, and select the appropriate drop down menu choice……

Sorted.

Already checked that, not "sorted".

I've replaced many MB batteries in my PC days when they didn't know the date and the only one I can find on the mini is this one for the PRAM:

QaQA2jUGvtCBFZFw.huge_zpsuy0cbeyq.jpg

As I said, I lose a couple of minutes per week. If I open the date/time preferences it will refresh but start to lose time again. I even tried changing the ntp server.

I'm going to order the tools and battery and just be done with it, thanks anyway.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015

I've replaced many MB batteries in my PC days when they didn't know the date and the only one I can find on the mini is this one for the PRAM:

As I said, I lose a couple of minutes per week. If I open the date/time preferences it will refresh but start to lose time again. I even tried changing the ntp server.

I'm going to order the tools and battery and just be done with it, thanks anyway.
Good luck with this intricate and difficult task! :)

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
better to take it in

Hi, Unless you really know what you are doing and have all the tools, I would suggest taking your mini to the Apple store or to an authorized repair shop. They would probably charge about $100 plus parts for an hour of work to pull out the logic board and replace the battery. There are lots of little connectors that if bent mean you get to buy a new board.

glennyd

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013

QaQA2jUGvtCBFZFw.huge_zpsuy0cbeyq.jpg

Did replacing the battery fix the problem? I'm having the same issue on a 2010 mini.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.