Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Hard to beat at US$199 for the 16GB model and US$299 for the 64GB model.

I just bought an HTC One M8 which was on sale at Best Buys for US$299. I'm seriously thinking about returning it once I receive it and getting one of these Zenphone 2's instead.

I really want to see these new Oppos once they hit the shelves here in the U.S. It really seems like a number of smartphone manufacturers are making a play for the mid-tier market.

It seems to me that these manufacturers realize that they will not be able to compete with Apple's premium level of service. So they are setting their sites on the mid-tier where there is not as high an expectation.

Just offering an opinion here, but if you pay US$650 or more for a smartphone you expect at least 24 months of after-sale support (i.e. technical support and software updates). If you pay US$199 for a smartphone you expect to recycle it in twelve months and get another one.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I am wondering if this or a used LG G2 would be a better choice for me. The camera is of no concern for me, I am just worried about a bigger screen than my Moto G and I want battery life that is comparable

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Get the LG G2. Great battery life and a sizable screen crammed into a smallish form factor.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am wondering if this or a used LG G2 would be a better choice for me. The camera is of no concern for me, I am just worried about a bigger screen than my Moto G and I want battery life that is comparable

The first most helpful review on Amazon centers around a comparison with the LG G2 for data and I found it interesting. YMMV

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Not a firm believer in Intel when it comes to mobile SoC. The Zenfone 5 according to my female cousin has poor battery life. The Zenfone 2 only got a 59 hr rating from GSM Arena and 7+ hrs SOT on video playback which is ok but could be better if it is packing a 3000 mAh capacity. It seems when it is idle, Intel SoC seems to drain. This is also happening to my ASUS Transformer Book T100. In constant use, I can get 9-10 hrs SOT. While it sleeps, it drains 50% overnight. I really hope ASUS goes Qualcomm next out like mentioned in a previous article.

The Zenfone 2 was just released in my country recently. About 10K PHP (or $225) for the CL550 variant and $50 less for the 5-inch CL500 variant which is more like the Z5 successor. The 4 GB RAM variant is the way to go but I still don't trust ASUS as much when it comes to quality. Tech Radar mentioned poor build quality and poor camera. Plus there are so many choices for us here with similar prices. Huawei Honor 4X, Honor 6, Zenfone 6, and Meizu M1 Note could all be better alternatives. The Meizu M1 Note might be the best smartphone here for under $200 but it suffers at low speaker sound. My choice is really the Huawei Honor 4X with its weaker Snapdragon 400 but very good battery life and camera for its price class.

rpetunderclass

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Really want the Z3 but the prices are still pretty ridiculous after it been out almost a year and a new one is on its way. Ill probably wait till the Z4 is announce and everyone scrambles to sell there Z3 stock.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Really want the Z3 but the prices are still pretty ridiculous after it been out almost a year and a new one is on its way. Ill probably wait till the Z4 is announce and everyone scrambles to sell there Z3 stock.

Z4 won't exist in the west this year. It's Z3+, which may mean many Z3 owners will just hold on.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Sellers are and already have been out there. Got a great deal on CL.

16gb capacity is rather low with bloatware on the Zenfone. Just saying.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
LG G3 Beat (aka G3 S, or Vigor) offers better value from my estimation than Zenfone 2 any variant.

Nicer display
Better design
Better camera
Longer battery life

Only Snapdragon 400 with 1 GB RAM though.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
So I've had my ZenFone 2 for a little over a week now and it's pretty freaking great. I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, but other than that there was very little compromises made to meet the $299 price on the 4GB RAM model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.