Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
My iPhone 6 Plus sometimes completely freezes on its home screen and in some applications (ex. YouTube) it ridiculous. I was watch a YouTube video, put on pause for a while, come back, and the phone is completely frozen the home and power button didn't respond at all.

I know I could've just hold them both down for hard reset, but I decided to see what would happen.

The phone completely shut off without me touching it, when I booted it back up the apple logo was bigger then normal.

I think it the ram, and my camera completely freezes, not usable too.

This is Ridiculous for a $1200 phone
(iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Factory Unlocked)

Don't you think?

So strange

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I've been experiencing the same thing. When I use Touch ID to activate the phone it will often freeze when I try to use it. Frustrating as I have to wait 15-20 seconds before it responds again. It used to be be a rare occurance that is becoming to common .

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
The iPhone 6 plus is known for this issue already and most people have had it. Many topics here. I am about ready to ditch it and go back to Android unless Apple fixes this on the next update. I am giving them at least till then.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I was told that the phone was most likely be swapped out. Due to my other issues too. Camera freezing and a loose home button.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
like you I've been having problems at least twice a day with the 6 plus. just sold it and picked up a 6. still sealed so I'm not sure if i want to keep it. the battery on the 6 plus was great. but its frustrating have these problems lately. sometimes its un responsive. the keyboard locks up in iMessage. one time i was in a phone call and the screen went black and i could not hang up. the sleep wake button did nothing. i had to hard reset.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I really wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of hardware defect in some cases.

Personally I own a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus that I bought used on Swappa in February. It was a preorder and Apple care expires Sep 17 so it was made some time before launch. I have almost zero issues with freezing. The camera app will lock up changing from photo to video sometimes but the phone isn't frozen as it goes back home without issue. It does get stuck sideways a lot though :rolleyes:

Then my mom bought a new 16GB iPhone 6 Plus from Verizon in late Feb and it was locking up and freezing all the time! Keyboard mostly or unlocking it. We got it switched out and her replacement also froze up sometimes. She almost went back to her iPhone 5 right before I got it sold because it was 100% fine on iOS 8. The next replacement has been alright and I did a fresh restore without backup right after we got it to rule anything out. It'll still freeze on the KB sometimes but not nearly as often. Very odd, while mine is just fine.

Meanwhile I've got 5-6 friends/family with the iPhone 6 (4.7") and they have no problems whatsoever. Seems like it's something with the 6 Plus...

Her issue could have been something in her backup, sure, but it was fine on her iPhone 5 and even my 4S that I restored it to for giggles.

I hope mine is alright in the long run because I plan on keeping it for a couple years. But I'm that guy that goes between Android, iOS, and sometimes BlackBerry multiple times a year. Trying to break that since I had a good 4 year run on Android before getting my first 4s in Nov '13. iOS 7 wasn't even that bad. But this 6 Plus has been on the annoying side of things OS wise. Love the hardware.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I really wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of hardware defect in some cases.

Personally I own a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus that I bought used on Swappa in February. It was a preorder and Apple care expires Sep 17 so it was made some time before launch. I have almost zero issues with freezing. The camera app will lock up changing from photo to video sometimes but the phone isn't frozen as it goes back home without issue. It does get stuck sideways a lot though :rolleyes:

Then my mom bought a new 16GB iPhone 6 Plus from Verizon in late Feb and it was locking up and freezing all the time! Keyboard mostly or unlocking it. We got it switched out and her replacement also froze up sometimes. She almost went back to her iPhone 5 right before I got it sold because it was 100% fine on iOS 8. The next replacement has been alright and I did a fresh restore without backup right after we got it to rule anything out. It'll still freeze on the KB sometimes but not nearly as often. Very odd, while mine is just fine.

Meanwhile I've got 5-6 friends/family with the iPhone 6 (4.7") and they have no problems whatsoever. Seems like it's something with the 6 Plus...

Her issue could have been something in her backup, sure, but it was fine on her iPhone 5 and even my 4S that I restored it to for giggles.

I hope mine is alright in the long run because I plan on keeping it for a couple years. But I'm that guy that goes between Android, iOS, and sometimes BlackBerry multiple times a year. Trying to break that since I had a good 4 year run on Android before getting my first 4s in Nov '13. iOS 7 wasn't even that bad. But this 6 Plus has been on the annoying side of things OS wise. Love the hardware.

They constantly tell me it's a software issue, I don't think it is. I was offered a replacement due to my other issues camera freezing and a loose home button, my plan was to replace it when I sell it. I'm probably maybe sell for 980 with zagg glass and black Apple leather case.

My phone is a little bent from normal use. Suprising in trackpants. I was told its no big deal by a Genius Bar person, he said since it a very very slight bent (Not even noticeable when looking a it) this bend couldn't cause a hardware issue.

Then I wait for a 6S (depends on the new design and specs) or wait and use my RELIABLE non freezing iPhone 5S that was replaced and with the wrapping still.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I bought my 6+ in March. I have not had any issues with mine freezing, or any issues actually. I watch
youtube videos on mine. I decided to pause it and come back to it about 10 minutes later and worked fine.
So far no complaints on mine. If I do have problems later I will let you all know.

Reactions: ABC5S

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have had my iPhone 6+ for 7 months and it has been the best phone I have ever had. I had a Note II before that and loved it too. The only issue I have ever had is with Audible. I am on the road a lot so I listen to audio books through my car speakers. Sometimes the app will just crash but the phone is fine and I can restart the app. I watch youtube videos, play music, have a few games, no problems. This is the first phone that I have owned that can make and hold a call in my home without using a signal booster.

I hope I don't have to be glad I bought Apple Care for it.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i just got mine today. i had a 6plus from december. got a 6 2 weeks ago. but now i have a new one. ill let you know how it is. i did a new install

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have my iPhone 6 Plus roughly two months ago. When I received it, it ran iOS 8.1. Then, Apple released iOS 8.2. Nothing happened frequently.
Then, Apple released iOS 8.3 as well as iOS 8.4 beta. When I noticed that iOS 8.4 beta had a great overhauled music app, I spent lots of time trying to install this beta.
Now my iPhone runs iOS 8.4 beta 3. It works almost as expected. The only time I encountered frozen is when I watch YouTube video. Since I shut down mobile network for YouTube, when YouTube launches, it freeze because it cannot receive any data. I then force restart the phone to solve it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
They constantly tell me it's a software issue, I don't think it is. I was offered a replacement due to my other issues camera freezing and a loose home button, my plan was to replace it when I sell it. I'm probably maybe sell for 980 with zagg glass and black Apple leather case.

My phone is a little bent from normal use. Suprising in trackpants. I was told its no big deal by a Genius Bar person, he said since it a very very slight bent (Not even noticeable when looking a it) this bend couldn't cause a hardware issue.

Then I wait for a 6S (depends on the new design and specs) or wait and use my RELIABLE non freezing iPhone 5S that was replaced and with the wrapping still.

I don't know if it's hardware or software, but it happens on the iPhone 6 as well. It's gotten less frequent for me, but still happens occasionally. That leads me to believe the updates have helped which may point to a software issue - but who knows for sure.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I haven't owned a phone that didn't freeze every once in awhile. 6 plus seems par for the course for me.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have had no issues playing YouTube videos - I do use the YouTube app. I am beginning to think I should be thankful that my iPhone 6+ is running so well. The only issues I have had as be with the Audible App and it has been a pain at time - shutting down, has locked up the phone once. I keep hoping they will release an upgrade.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
the only issue I've faced with my iPhone 6+ is the keyboard (I use nintype). While most of the time it shows up, something triggers it to not show up in certain areas (for example, messaging / folder renaming / safari) but I can manage to bring it up in other apps (for example, in Gmail). What usually fixes this (beyond a reboot) is turning the screen off / on, but even that sometimes works.

I do miss my note 3 sometimes...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
the only issue I've faced with my iPhone 6+ is the keyboard (I use nintype). While most of the time it shows up, something triggers it to not show up in certain areas (for example, messaging / folder renaming / safari) but I can manage to bring it up in other apps (for example, in Gmail). What usually fixes this (beyond a reboot) is turning the screen off / on, but even that sometimes works.

I do miss my note 3 sometimes...
Third party keyboard missing is a common issue in iOS 8. I use SwiftKey. Sometimes I cannot call out keyboard in editing area (not certain applications, but random applications), such as the time I am replying post. What I do is switch to another app which can bring out keyboard, and change it to a system preinstalled one, then switch back to the app I want to use, and change keyboard to SwiftKey.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Mine has started to do this. I think it might be an app I've downloaded. Reminds me of my android days. Bleh.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
My iPhone 6 Plus sometimes completely freezes on its home screen and in some applications (ex. YouTube) it ridiculous. I was watch a YouTube video, put on pause for a while, come back, and the phone is completely frozen the home and power button didn't respond at all.

I know I could've just hold them both down for hard reset, but I decided to see what would happen.

The phone completely shut off without me touching it, when I booted it back up the apple logo was bigger then normal.

I think it the ram, and my camera completely freezes, not usable too.

This is Ridiculous for a $1200 phone
(iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Factory Unlocked)

Don't you think?

So strange

something like this happened to me last night. I was using my phone and it suddenly went completely dark and wouldn't respond to any input, until 15-30 seconds later where the screen came on and flashed a bunch of times and then was fine. It was weird.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
something like this happened to me last night. I was using my phone and it suddenly went completely dark and wouldn't respond to any input, until 15-30 seconds later where the screen came on and flashed a bunch of times and then was fine. It was weird.
This should only be possible on beta software.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I too share everyone's frustrations with the 6 plus. I have been experiencing freezes, phone shutting itself off and on, phone calls unable to be answered, screen freezing on portrait mode,apps crashing and so on.....
This is Uber annoying given that I use my phone constantly throughout the day for work.
I rely on my phone so much that I have been thinking of going with the 6 for better performance. This off corse will be a tough decision as I love the size of my plus.
Downsizing to a 6 would be "last resort".
I will be completely whipping my phone tonight and starting fresh.
I have been told that his could resolve many ongoing issues that I have been experiencing.
I will post back when Inhabe used the phone for a few days after wiping it completely.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
i've noticed my 6+ from launch day has been freezing and rebooting on its own as well. not sure if it is a hardware issue or not, but i would prefer to swap it out since mine also heats up rather abnormally even when not doing anything intensive...

has anyone been sucessfull at swapping there 6+ bc of this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.