Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadpad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Hi guys

I just bought a mid 2012 macbook pro running OS 10.9.2.
I have installed on it Logic Pro 9....unfortunately though my Yamaha PSR E403 keyboard is not showing up at all.
The keyboard has a usb connection that I normally just connect straight into my laptop.

I have gone into Audio Midi Setup in Applications > Utilities but the keyboard is not showing up. My M-Audio Midi keyboard shows up perfectly here. I have also tested the usb cables and they are working fine.

I have also downloaded from the yamaha website the most recent USB - Midi driver. The most recent version (1.3.2) says that it is compatible with systems 10.5.x - 10.9.x
I am not sure what the 'x' is supposed to mean? With my mac being 10.9.2 does that mean that they just don't have a driver that is up to date yet with Mavericks?

The keyboard worked perfectly in conjunction with Logic 9 on my old Macbook.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi guys

I just bought a mid 2012 macbook pro running OS 10.9.2.
I have installed on it Logic Pro 9....unfortunately though my Yamaha PSR E403 keyboard is not showing up at all.....

Check the system report in "about this mac" in theUSB section to see if the keyboard is showing up at all. Start at the Apple logo at the upper left. If the device is not showing up there something is wrong at the USB level, not with Yamaha drivers. If it does show there then it's a Yamaha/Apple problem

This is why a dislike, and would never buy a music keyboard that had only USB and not "Real MIDI". By real midi, I mean those two round five pin plugs.

What happens with USB only is that after they stop making the keyboard, then that model is generating zero income so there is zero incentive for them to ever update driver. They really have no reason to support discontinued products. We can argue "they should" all we want but as you see they don't.

Next time, look for the MIDI plugs, they are universally compatible. But then you have to buy a MIDI interface for the computer, that's the price you pay

themadpad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for reply ChrisA

I checked the system report and yes the keyboard is showing up. Therefore it must be a yamaha/apple problem :(

The latest driver I downloaded says that it covers OSX 10.9.x so i am confused as to why it is not working with my laptop???

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for reply ChrisA

I checked the system report and yes the keyboard is showing up. Therefore it must be a yamaha/apple problem :(

The latest driver I downloaded says that it covers OSX 10.9.x so i am confused as to why it is not working with my laptop???

When the guy wrote "10.9.x", at that time x=1 and he had no way to know that his claim would be false for x>1.

It should be possible to downgrade the OS version. Or maybe even upgrade to 10.9.3 and see if that fixes it.

The root cause here is that Yamaha has no economic incentive to fix this after a keyboard model is discontinued.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
If you haven't done this already.

1. Disconnect all USB devices from you Mac.

2. Uninstall the Yamaha driver with the uninstaller utility that comes with the Yamaha driver software.

3. Restart your Mac and then reinstall the latest Yamaha driver.

4. Plug in your PSR and see if it shows up.

themadpad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for your help guys.

So I updated to 10.9.3 and also did what fast lane phil suggested. This time round when I go into audio midi setup I can at least now see the 'yamaha port atone' but yet when I rescan midi and do the audio test no sounds come from it. I tried it in Logic and its still not working.

When i go into system preferences and click on the Yamaha USB - Midi symbol a box comes up saying 'Alert cannot access to a driver'.

However when I do this exact thing on my old macbook this box does not appear. This suggest that the driver must not be compatible with Mavericks.

Although it is strange that it is now showing up in audio midi setup but yet Logic is still not recognising it.

Any thoughts?!?

themadpad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
UPDATE

Its working!!!!! After doing above and it still not being recognised I tried restarting the computer and now its being recognised in Logic!

Maybe it was just a problem with 10.9.2???

Either way i'm happy and thank you so much for your help Chris A and fastlanephil!

Yadeehoo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
France
UPDATE

Its working!!!!! After doing above and it still not being recognised I tried restarting the computer and now its being recognised in Logic!

Maybe it was just a problem with 10.9.2???

Either way i'm happy and thank you so much for your help Chris A and fastlanephil!

Cool, I can't wait that this works for me too :D

siasrj

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
If you haven't done this already.

1. Disconnect all USB devices from you Mac.

2. Uninstall the Yamaha driver with the uninstaller utility that comes with the Yamaha driver software.

3. Restart your Mac and then reinstall the latest Yamaha driver.

4. Plug in your PSR and see if it shows up.
[doublepost=1532836923][/doublepost]I want to say thank you. My keyboard was not being recognized and after reaching to a friend he couldn't help me out. These steps were a great help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.