Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Im planning to make a new setup for my workstation and i was thinking of purchasing a macbook pro 15 inch and Thunderbolt display. My question, is the thunderbolt worthed? it hasn't been updated for quite some time. Is there any better display out there right now?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Depends on what you mean by better.

You probably would get meaningful answers if you provided the type of software you intend to use and perhaps how your laptop will be equipped (RAM, drive etc.)

As for me, I find no value in TB displays though it is nice to have those ports. Then again, there are displays/monitors that cost far less and are superior that can be attached via port adapter or another type of port.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Im planning to make a new setup for my workstation and i was thinking of purchasing a macbook pro 15 inch and Thunderbolt display. My question, is the thunderbolt worthed? it hasn't been updated for quite some time. Is there any better display out there right now?

There are certainly cheaper displays that have the same resolution and picture quality. As a rule of thumb, I find that DELL displays are very high quality. However I haven't personally used anything close to the quality or price of the TB display so I can't point you to a specific model that I've used myself.

It's worth bearing in mind that the current Thunderbolt display is almost 4 years old, and hasn't had any updates. It's definitely not an economically viable purchase at the moment.

I would suggest perhaps holding off until WWDC next month to see if they do update the displays.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for ur replies, I will be mainly using it for Photoshop and image designing which is why I'm buying a MacBook pro for portability and an external monitor for the workstation. Was just looking for some alternatives as the tb displays are quite old. I don't mind waiting for 2-3 months. Thanks!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for ur replies, I will be mainly using it for Photoshop and image designing which is why I'm buying a MacBook pro for portability and an external monitor for the workstation. Was just looking for some alternatives as the tb displays are quite old. I don't mind waiting for 2-3 months. Thanks!

There are many 27 inch High resolution displays available on Amazon. Just Browse through and choose one with good reviews.

Something like this looks good

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP2...r=8-1&keywords=27+inch+1440p+monitor++USB+hub

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA

The Samsung S34E790C is what I have, a very nice monitor with Mac Mini

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
If I were in your situation, I would probably go for a thunderbolt dock and a 3rd party monitor. You lose the aesthetics and the all-in-one-ness of the Apple display, but you gain flexibility and save some money.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Necessary? No. Overpriced? What Apple product isn't? But it is so pretty and is a great dock all by itself. I have one at work and one at home and love them. The speakers are nice and it is nice to have an isight camera in front of me instead of off to the side with my macbook open.

LittleLuth

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Check craigslist - I recently picked up a 6 month old TB display in box under warranty for $500. I wasn't going to buy new for $1k but for $500, yeah that's worth it. Also HP's 32inch Envy display has the same resolution and nice build quality and goes for around $500 as well. I actually bought one of those but returned it when the craigslist find showed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.