Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I have a variety of apple devices:
running Iphone 3gs and 4s and Iphone touch on IoS from 4.2 up to 8

I have a OLLLLDDD PowerPC G5 non Intel which I now want to upgrade to a Mini but dont know which OS I should look for that will suit all my handheld devices (not all mine but my family's) main use to sync them with iTunes.

My current OS on my PowerPC G5 is 10.5.8

am I safe to just go for 10.8 say?

Im also assuming that my current software wont transfer to a newer Mac Mini (looking to get 2nd hand).

Any help would be appreciated to narrow my search.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I have a variety of apple devices:
running Iphone 3gs and 4s and Iphone touch on IoS from 4.2 up to 8

I have a OLLLLDDD PowerPC G5 non Intel which I now want to upgrade to a Mini but dont know which OS I should look for that will suit all my handheld devices (not all mine but my family's) main use to sync them with iTunes.

My current OS on my PowerPC G5 is 10.5.8

am I safe to just go for 10.8 say?

Im also assuming that my current software wont transfer to a newer Mac Mini (looking to get 2nd hand).

Any help would be appreciated to narrow my search.

Scenario #1
If you have PowerPC software, I think the latest OSX which has Rosetta included in installation DVDs is Snow Leopard. You'll probably want something between a 2009 and a 2010 Mini - the latter accepts up to 16GB RAM.

Scenario #2
You don't care with PowerPC software. In this case, I think that any second-hand Intel Mini will suit your needs. A base 2012 model seems to be a good choice. It's the latest one to provide a firewire 800 port, which can be useful if you have legacy devices.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Scenario #1
If you have PowerPC software, I think the latest OSX which has Rosetta included in installation DVDs is Snow Leopard. You'll probably want something between a 2009 and a 2010 Mini - the latter accepts up to 16GB RAM.

Scenario #2
You don't care with PowerPC software. In this case, I think that any second-hand Intel Mini will suit your needs. A base 2012 model seems to be a good choice. It's the latest one to provide a firewire 800 port, which can be useful if you have legacy devices.

Many thanks, Scenario 2 is my preferred.
What OS should I look for that will enable me to connect the span of legacy handhelds?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're going to get a new Mini, your only "choice" of OS is Yosemite.

If you find a late-2012 Mini, you can use Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Mavericks, or Yosemite. If you're going to use either Mavericks or Yosemite, you'll want to run it from an SSD, as running from a platter-based hard drive may yield "less-than-pleasing" performance.

If you decide to get a 2014 Mini (current model), I will warn you in advance:
DO NOT buy the "entry level" Mini -- you will be dissatisfied with the speed.
Get AT LEAST the "midrange" model Mini -- 8gb of RAM, significantly faster CPU, and better graphics.
IF you get the midrange Mini, SERIOUSLY CONSIDER spending the extra $$$ up front to get the 1tb fusion drive option.
It's a better value to buy the fusion drive "up front" from Apple, than it will be to buy the parts separately later on...

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007

If you find a late-2012 Mini, you can use Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Mavericks, or Yosemite. If you're going to use either Mavericks or Yosemite, you'll want to run it from an SSD, as running from a platter-based hard drive may yield "less-than-pleasing" performance.

If you decide to get a 2014 Mini (current model), I will warn you in advance:
DO NOT buy the "entry level" Mini -- you will be dissatisfied with the speed.
Get AT LEAST the "midrange" model Mini -- 8gb of RAM, significantly faster CPU, and better graphics.
IF you get the midrange Mini, SERIOUSLY CONSIDER spending the extra $$$ up front to get the 1tb fusion drive option.
It's a better value to buy the fusion drive "up front" from Apple, than it will be to buy the parts separately later on...

Thanks, Im looking at a 2011 or 2012 version and assuming I use Mountain Lion will this be compatible with my older hand helds?

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
IF you get the midrange Mini said:
SERIOUSLY CONSIDER[/I] spending the extra $$$ up front to get the 1tb fusion drive option.

Very good advice and a 256GB Kensington SSD costs around $350.00 installed here in Costa Rica.

However, I personally would-opt for the Apple Upgrade SSD 256GB which I think costs the same as the Fusion Drive??

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Either System Will Be Fine

Thanks, Im looking at a 2011 or 2012 version and assuming I use Mountain Lion will this be compatible with my older hand helds?

Right, a 2011 or 2012 mini running Mountain Lion will work fine with your older devices. With this system, you will need to use modern Intel compatible software and leave your PPC classics behind.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Is there a reason you seem so intent on running an old version of OS X?
Not really just need to be sure that it will work on older handhelds that my family have like iphones 3-4 which run IOS 6 etc.
I do realise that only up to a certain OS will I be able to transfer old programs across.
Cheers

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not really just need to be sure that it will work on older handhelds that my family have like iphones 3-4 which run IOS 6 etc.
I do realise that only up to a certain OS will I be able to transfer old programs across.
Cheers

iOS 5 on our 1st generation iPad syncs just fine with OS X Yosemite. No reason not to go with the latest OS on any mini late 2009 or later, and you get all the security updates.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
iOS 5 on our 1st generation iPad syncs just fine with OS X Yosemite. No reason not to go with the latest OS on any mini late 2009 or later, and you get all the security updates.

Thanks

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015

That depends on the 2012 mini. Mine shipped with mavericks nib, restored to mavericks, and mountain lion is not an option. I am running yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.