Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
That would be great if you could get some feedback on a game running. :)

9.2.2 works flawlessly on my stock 8600 so you should have no issues there.

I finally got a chance to put the 9200 in my 9600, and have spent an(unhealthy) amount of time playing CivII on it the last day or two. I've forgotten how much of a time waster that game can be when you get into it :)

In any case, it's not an incredibly graphics-intensive program, but worked great with the 9200.

I tried to run CivIII(which I think is more graphically demanding) but it needs a G3.

The bad thing about CivII is that I mentioned it to my dad that I'd been playing it, and he asked me if I had a laptop it would run on. I installed it on a TiBook, and he's currently engrossed in it :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I finally got a chance to put the 9200 in my 9600, and have spent an(unhealthy) amount of time playing CivII on it the last day or two. I've forgotten how much of a time waster that game can be when you get into it :)

In any case, it's not an incredibly graphics-intensive program, but worked great with the 9200.

I tried to run CivIII(which I think is more graphically demanding) but it needs a G3.

The bad thing about CivII is that I mentioned it to my dad that I'd been playing it, and he asked me if I had a laptop it would run on. I installed it on a TiBook, and he's currently engrossed in it :)

Thats excellent to know thanks man!

Oh I know what you mean. I once accidentally pressed quick game in CIV V by accident when I meant to set up a game with my own settings. I'd never played as that civ, the difficulty was wrong, the map was wrong...but I just played a turn anyway...then a few more...aaaannnddd 5 hours were gone...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thats excellent to know thanks man!

Oh I know what you mean. I once accidentally pressed quick game in CIV V by accident when I meant to set up a game with my own settings. I'd never played as that civ, the difficulty was wrong, the map was wrong...but I just played a turn anyway...then a few more...aaaannnddd 5 hours were gone...

It's amazing how addictive of a game(in any incarnation) it can be.

I was playing yesterday afternoon and kept saying that I would quit at 5:00 to go watch the news. The only problem was that about 4:00, I got into a war with the Egyptians and finally got them down to one city. The only problem was that I couldn't find that city. It took me an hour and a half to hunt it down, but I finally did. It only took me an extra hour and a half :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Mac edition

It came from the same person who sold me a ZIF G4 for a B&W. I've since replaced the 9200 in that computer with a flashed PC edition PCI 256mb FX5200 for Core Image support.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Okay, the Radeon 9200 finally arrived in the post today. I threw it in my Quicksilver and loaded up GraphicAccelerator with one of the 9200 ROM from MacElite. I followed the guide and flashed it, making sure to save the old ROM beforehand.

However, after restarting, nothing comes up on the monitor connected to it. It is no longer listed as a PCI device in System Profiler. I tried loading an earlier revision of the Mac 9200 ROM but this had the same result. I also tried to restore the old ROM but GA tells me that it's not a valid ROM :/

If it was working it would be working in my G4 right? I don't take it that it'll work in my PM8600 if it isn't working here.

What do I do here? :(

Edit: I used the extra features in GA to bypass the check for genuine ROM's allowing me to try and restore the original PC ROM. I tried it in original 128KB size that I dumped at the start, and also a 64KB reduced version. However neither of them seem to work as I still can't get the card to show up in System Profiler under PCI cards anymore. Is it a write off? :/

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
What OS did you flash in?

If it was Tiger or Leopard(I'd suggest Tiger of the two) be sure you boot in safe mode.

I used Tiger. I did not boot in safe mode. Will this make a big difference? I was actually just about to try the DOS method in a PC. If you think booting in safe mode has a bigger chance of success then I'll gladly try that first! The less Microsoft involved the better.

After I flashed the card back it's original ROM it didn't show up in system profiler as it did in the very beginning. However, I half heartedly threw it into a Core 2 Duo PC, and as luck would have it, it loaded Windows 10 without a bother!

IMG_9067.JPG IMG_9071.JPG IMG_9072.JPG

So this proves that it is at least, just like GLaDOS, still alive.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I booted Tiger in safe mode and attempted to flash using the most recent 9200 ROM. It went fine and then I restarted, but the Quicksilver still won't show it in System Profiler, let alone use it as a display. However, even when it didn't show in System Profiler when it had the resorted original ROM, it worked in a PC.

So is it possible it has the correct ROM and is working but simply won't work in my Quicksilver? Any chance it would magically work in my 8600?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I optimistically decided to attempt using the Radeon 9200 in my PM8600 and it's new ROM, despite the fact that it won't show up on the Quicksilver.

I put it into the 8600 and loaded up with monitors hooked up to both the 9200 and the built in video slot. I got to the desktop without anything showing up on the screen. However, I know MAC OS 9.2.2 can be picky with the ATI drivers for this card so it might be worth trying a few different kinds, and that 2005 update mentioned in a few places. I have the appropriate driver installed that somebody mentioned earlier on in this thread, but I suppose it could be a software issue.

At the very least, the 8600 recognises it in System Profiler and is even aware that it is a Video Card. So that's good. More than can be said of the Quicksilver.

IMG_9075.JPG IMG_9076.JPG

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have now tried to flash the Radeon 9200 in my dell PC using DOS and ATIFLASH. I successfully booted using a DOS usb drive, but ATIFLASH is unable to recognise the card. :( This is especially strange because I was actually using the 9200 at the time as my display! I tried again using my main GPU as my display but nothing changed.

I am not having an easy time here. Perhaps next I will try using an older version of ATIFLASH.

IMG_9079.JPG IMG_9078.JPG

HOWEVER, what is particularly notable, is that the Radeon 9200 works perfectly in a PC when it has been flashed with a Mac ROM in GraphicAccelerator in my Quicksilver! It clearly is not working at all. I wonder if the ROM has been modified at all since this morning. The only change I have noticed is that it no longer shows up in System Profiler on my Quicksilver. Besides that, it has functioned perfectly in a PC all day, and my 8600 is aware it's a graphics card, but can't make use of it.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I have two or three versions of ATIFlash for DOS, because different versions will recognize different cards.

I've not flashed a 9200, so don't know exactly which version would work.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have two or three versions of ATIFlash for DOS, because different versions will recognize different cards.

I've not flashed a 9200, so don't know exactly which version would work.

Well now...

I used ATIFLASH 3.10, the one mentioned in the MacElite guide and it did recognise the 9200. I flashed it and it no longer works in the PC. However neither my G4 or 8600 could use it either. When I flash it back to the original ROM it will work in the PC again. What's weird is that when I flash it with the PC rom, there are far more steps displayed than when I flash it with the Mac rom.

When I flash it with the PC rom, it shows maybe 6-7 command lines before the final two lines are something like "20000/20000 programme" and "20000/20000 verified".

When I flash it with one of the Mac 9200 ROM's I ONLY get those last two lines. The BIOS p/n is also only a single character for some reason...

-_-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Did you see the cheaper one, also?

Also there is a 7000 with 64MB (instead of 32MB) for 30,-

The Xserve one also has only one VGA out, while the PowerMac versions have two ports.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Did you see the cheaper one, also?

Also there is a 7000 with 64MB (instead of 32MB) for 30,-

The Xserve one also has only one VGA out, while the PowerMac versions have two ports.

Yeah I saw some better deals, I just posted that one for reference. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.