Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When are Mac's going to outsell PC's?

Laughable notion?

Yes.

Equally laughable to think the Apple iPhone model can ever outsell the android phone model.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
What I'm wondering is will Android ever make more money than iOS for developers? It's staggering to understand that iOS still makes more money, despite Android having more sales, ergo more potential customers.

But to answer your question, I don't think iOS will catch up to Android sales for as long as Apple sells only premium phones. I think they're quite happy with this as they must be making a killing in the profits.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
For smart shoppers and true phone fanatics who can really look for value, watching Apple succeed is actually a blessing in disguise to anyone. The fact they are clearly 2nd place at under 20% of global marketshare adds to the obsession and envy...

The iPhones no longer have the highest ppi on a display, fastest SoC, camera, and longest battery life. But people can keep buying them year after year. Suckers are born every minute. Which is great for sellers like me. Just a couple weeks ago, I sold the 2.5 year old iPhone 5 for about $200. I had options like a Huawei Honor 4X and Meizu M1 Note at under $200. The latter offers UNBELIEVABLE value in my country. More value than the affordable Zenfone 5 and Redmi 1S. Probably the best value since the Xiaomi Mi 3 for under $250. I also had my eye on the Meizu MX4 and Asus Zenfone 2 (CL550). But I eventually chose LG G3 Beat in gold because I trust LG more with a tap to wake feature several other OEM's copied from (moreso than dual front speakers and Active Display) and the already proven Qualcomm Snapdragon 400...

Imagine I basically replaced a 2.5 year old slate iPhone 5 for a 2014 G3 mini with HD "5 screen + 2540 mAh battery that looks better in a gold faux metal plastic and feels more comfortable to hold? And other than the GPU, the iPhone 5 wasn't exactly the most powerful in 2012 either. Perhaps in AnTuTu, iPhone 5 still gives me higher scores (10K more) than a G3 Beat since Adreno 305 isn't exactly a GPU powerhouse but I also get LONG TERM value like removable battery and micro-sd slot. You don't know how many times I run out of memory and also worry about a sealed battery degrading quickly after two years like I saw with my M7. Apple creates phones for obsolescence and replacement. I want phones that I know I can keep longer than 2+ years. I want longevity. Prior to iPhone in 2007, almost every OEM offered removable battery and expandable storage. Eight years later, only LG and maybe Oppo offers both on flagships.

So the idea here is watch all these clueless iFans keep updating their iPhones every few years for incremental upgrades to get their Apple fix. Let them give me their old ones. I sell them to keep other iFans salivating for the Jesus phone even with its degraded battery and closed system like Nintendo kids loving proprietary standards and higher priced games. I buy a newer Android which offers better longer-term value and flexibility. Some can go for style. I go for substance. Everyone is happy. It is no different than people who sell their older iPhone every year to buy the newest one. Except I turn around and get phones that is easy to fix, doesn't pollute the ocean after a couple years, and can last a decade for me if I want to. People get their preferred platform. I get mines. Everyone wins here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For smart shoppers and true phone fanatics who can really look for value, watching Apple succeed is actually a blessing in disguise to anyone. The fact they are clearly 2nd place at under 20% of global marketshare adds to the obsession and envy...

The iPhones no longer have the highest ppi on a display, fastest SoC, camera, and longest battery life. But people can keep buying them year after year. Suckers are born every minute. Which is great for sellers like me. Just a couple weeks ago, I sold the 2.5 year old iPhone 5 for about $200. I had options like a Huawei Honor 4X and Meizu M1 Note at under $200. The latter offers UNBELIEVABLE value in my country. More value than the affordable Zenfone 5 and Redmi 1S. Probably the best value since the Xiaomi Mi 3 for under $250. I also had my eye on the Meizu MX4 and Asus Zenfone 2 (CL550). But I eventually chose LG G3 Beat in gold because I trust LG more with a tap to wake feature several other OEM's copied from (moreso than dual front speakers and Active Display) and the already proven Qualcomm Snapdragon 400...

Imagine I basically replaced a 2.5 year old slate iPhone 5 for a 2014 G3 mini with HD "5 screen + 2540 mAh battery that looks better in a gold faux metal plastic and feels more comfortable to hold? And other than the GPU, the iPhone 5 wasn't exactly the most powerful in 2012 either. Perhaps in AnTuTu, iPhone 5 still gives me higher scores (10K more) than a G3 Beat since Adreno 305 isn't exactly a GPU powerhouse but I also get LONG TERM value like removable battery and micro-sd slot. You don't know how many times I run out of memory and also worry about a sealed battery degrading quickly after two years like I saw with my M7. Apple creates phones for obsolescence and replacement. I want phones that I know I can keep longer than 2+ years. I want longevity. Prior to iPhone in 2007, almost every OEM offered removable battery and expandable storage. Eight years later, only LG and maybe Oppo offers both on flagships.

So the idea here is watch all these clueless iFans keep updating their iPhones every few years for incremental upgrades to get their Apple fix. Let them give me their old ones. I sell them to keep other iFans salivating for the Jesus phone even with its degraded battery and closed system like Nintendo kids loving proprietary standards and higher priced games. I buy a newer Android which offers better longer-term value and flexibility. Some can go for style. I go for substance. Everyone is happy. It is no different than people who sell their older iPhone every year to buy the newest one. Except I turn around and get phones that is easy to fix, doesn't pollute the ocean after a couple years, and can last a decade for me if I want to. People get their preferred platform. I get mines. Everyone wins here.

You sir are out of touch with reality. With 500 million idevices your "sucker is born every minute" may not be the idevice buyers.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Think about this---in order for Apple to increase their sales to match Samsung they would need to start selling, in addition to flagship phones, really cheap devices that don't produce a lot of profits, put in a lot of discounts, and incorporate other incentives.

But why would Apple want to do that?

They are selling devices for a premium (whether they are worth it or not is a separate discussion) and are making huge profits from each phone. Naturally, when you don't lower your prices, you will shut certain market segments out.

Samsung, on other hand, isn't seeing the huge profits that Apple is because they don't have the luxury to overcharge customers, especially in the lower end segment.

So if catching up to Samsung means lowering profit margins, I don't think that is a race Apple cares to win.

About the whole iOS vs Android, that is a stupid debate. There are tons more of Android phone OEMs than the single iOS phone maker. Imagine iOS was made a free license like Android --- that would be a more fair comparison.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Like the topic says: When is Apple/IOS sales going to catch up to Android sales?
The iphone is really falling far behind the Android phones sales.
Will Apple ever catch up to Samsung's sales? Will Apple ever catch up to Android's global sales domination?

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

That is weird because when being on holiday all i see most people are using Iphones and only a few people i see are using a non IOS phone.

etonello

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
iPhone is a smartphone, smartphones use Operating Systems to work, this smartphone's OS is iOS.
Android itself is an OS, so its used by smartphones.
You cannot compare to different kind of things.

hitesh01

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
My answer will be "never" and they don't have to. Apple market is different from android. They don't make phones for basic or entry level. They only target particular class of peoples. You cannot compare Bentley's sale with ford or any other vehicle. It same about Apple vs Android. So just don't compare these too. Both are selling for different type of people. I use android because I want to. Not because I have to.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
Samsung overpriced their s6 in my opinion.
I really think this was the issue. The S6 is by far the best Samsung phone ever made.. and the reason for that is they basically copied the iphone 6 and put a better camera in it. Sadly, it still runs android, which means nobody with any sense is going to waste $650-950 on a sub-standard OS and janky app store.

If samsung just priced it at $500, I would say it is a good phone. It should be $49 on subsidy and $500 without any subsidy. Until samsung can provide unique features like Apple does with touchID and apple pay they will be unable to justify such an exorbitant price. Otherwise it is an excellent piece of engineering.

It has a superior screen and arguably superior camera, but the SoC is a red herring. The thing is so held back by android itself and a total lack of really good quality games that it really has nowhere to stretch its legs. Also, the GPU is actually inferior to A8X, and about on par with A8. Single thread it still only just matches A8.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I really think this was the issue. The S6 is by far the best Samsung phone ever made.. and the reason for that is they basically copied the iphone 6 and put a better camera in it. Sadly, it still runs android, which means nobody with any sense is going to waste $650-950 on a sub-standard OS and janky app store.

If samsung just priced it at $500, I would say it is a good phone. It should be $49 on subsidy and $500 without any subsidy. Until samsung can provide unique features like Apple does with touchID and apple pay they will be unable to justify such an exorbitant price. Otherwise it is an excellent piece of engineering.

It has a superior screen and arguably superior camera, but the SoC is a red herring. The thing is so held back by android itself and a total lack of really good quality games that it really has nowhere to stretch its legs. Also, the GPU is actually inferior to A8X, and about on par with A8. Single thread it still only just matches A8.
You over-analyzed it. It's a great phone, regardless of OS. It's just too expensive and the battery is just not good enough.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Apple will never catch up with the sales, meanwhile "market leaders" like HTC are rumored to be struggling... something you cannot say about Apple these days. So yeah that "Android Leadership" seems to be .. .errr.. amazing :) . Nice thread, Jamezr :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Apple will never catch up with the sales, meanwhile "market leaders" like HTC are rumored to be struggling... something you cannot say about Apple these days. So yeah that "Android Leadership" seems to be .. .errr.. amazing :) . Nice thread, Jamezr :)
Glad you like it! Which market does HTC lead?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Of course I do, it's fun to see stereotypes be confirmed :D

Regarding HTC: Aren't they part of those "Android sales"?
Yes they are! So which market does HTC lead?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Or one of the other market leaders Sony who are one of the leading manufacturers in their market, but have struggled against the S6 in recent months, much like HTC's M9.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Or one of the other market leaders Sony who are one of the leading manufacturers in their market, but have struggled against the S6 in recent months, much like HTC's M9.

dec. said: said:
dec. said:
So which market is Sony or HTC a leader in?

Bm4vYacl.png

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apple has it going right. I am a techy, but I think that what Apple hits is more important than what it misses. An IR blaster is pretty cool, but it's not necessary. The Nexus and iPhone both sell without them. But Apple focuses on a higher single core benchmark with an OS that focuses on being the best for primary functions. The current S6 Exynos is an amazing architectural design, but fails to be the best because of aggressive RAM management software and a lower single core benchmark coupled together. Catchup is the least of Apple's concerns.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is your topic, your graphics, you are the SME. You tell us, we're all waiting.
Thanks I am the SME.....so can you read the graphic? Did the Sony and HTC make the metric? Then let the SME spell it out for you. They are not market leaders. Did you have any other questions? I know it's hard to follow sometimes...so i have no problem answering questions for you.

Last edited:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Yes they are! So which market does HTC lead?

None, they suck at sales, just like many other Android phone manufacturers. So the Android Market itself is a very diffuse term in first place, Google might be happy but since they don't really provide too much hardware, they only benefit to a certain degree as well (ignoring the whole "Google has my data!!! paranoia" factor).

Personally, I think that the question "when/can iOS catch up with Android sales" is either a) an extremely dumb or b) wannabe provocative question, which usually would be declared "idiot clickbait" (haha, you caught me o_O ).

Apple doesn't need to worry about those percentages. Support by third parties? Until a short while ago the Apple App Store made more money than than the Google Play Store with their massive market share. The iPhones are the most sold phones of their generation, any company that is into phone accessories will be happy to provide those accessories for the most popular phones.

No, Apple will not catch up to those sales, it's impossible as Apple does not offer a substitute for a cheap Android phone. And you're not that stupid that you don't know that, that's why I personally consider this thread to be wannabe-provocative-trolling, at least on a certain level.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.