Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

primalcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 this week. Afterwards it wouldn't turn on. The screen stays completely blank. I've tried holding home and power buttons together. I've also tried connecting it up to iTunes. Funnily enough the phone is recognised and I can see the battery charging status in iTunes but the storage bar is all yellow instead of split up depending on content. My computer also lets me access the hard disc so can still view photos.

Any idea what may be wrong? I've tried the original battery back in the phone but no change. I may have to just sell the phone for spares now, but not sure how I would wipe the hard-disc if phone won't turn on! iTunes fails when I try to sync it.

Any help would be great. Been a very expensive week :(

jsjar

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
wales Cardiff
you may have dislodged another connection while changing the battery crack it back open and check all the connectors are where they should be

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah tried that. Guess I'll be selling it for spares now

Did you try reinstalling the stock battery and powering it on/connecting it to a wall charger? Are the connections to the screen ok? It sounds possible that the screen is not working since the phone is still recognized. Sent from my iPad.

gsned57

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
identical issue

I am having the exact same experience. I have an iphone 5 and put in a new battery (got off amazon). The install went OK but there were some weird grey blocks at the top of my screen and when I went to use my runkeeper app the GPS was all wonky (I don't run a 5 minute mile for 11 miles when I run).

I figured one of the connectors must have been put back wrong so I took it apart and reseated the screen connectors.

This time the phone wouldn't turn back on. After crapping my pants I took it apart again and put in the original battery and double checked the connectors. I've since done this 5 times taking apart, cleaning and carefully putting the connectors back on and still won't start.

When I plug it in it just dings at me every few seconds. Itunes recognizes the phone and i tried a restore but got an error at the very end. I'd rather not take it to the mac store but figure I might have to. Did I screw up the connectors? I thought i was being careful and there certainly weren't any oh crap moments.

Anything else I can try? tried the hard restart and no luck. I also left it on the wall charger for hours and still nothing.

any help is appreciated.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
when you lift the screen up and off from the bottom, make sure you have some support to hold the iphone front display in a 90 degree angle, there are cables attached to the screen at the top part of the phone. if you flipped the screen all the way to 180 degrees you may have damaged that cable, and thats why it looks like its not turning on

Reactions: Shokol8

bengal16

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
I am having the exact same experience. I have an iphone 5 and put in a new battery (got off amazon). The install went OK but there were some weird grey blocks at the top of my screen and when I went to use my runkeeper app the GPS was all wonky (I don't run a 5 minute mile for 11 miles when I run).

I figured one of the connectors must have been put back wrong so I took it apart and reseated the screen connectors.

This time the phone wouldn't turn back on. After crapping my pants I took it apart again and put in the original battery and double checked the connectors. I've since done this 5 times taking apart, cleaning and carefully putting the connectors back on and still won't start.

When I plug it in it just dings at me every few seconds. Itunes recognizes the phone and i tried a restore but got an error at the very end. I'd rather not take it to the mac store but figure I might have to. Did I screw up the connectors? I thought i was being careful and there certainly weren't any oh crap moments.

Anything else I can try? tried the hard restart and no luck. I also left it on the wall charger for hours and still nothing.

any help is appreciated.

Hi GSNED57,

I am having the exact same symptoms that you went through. Did you ever take it to the apple store or figure out what was going on?

mdeeter

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Has anyone found any help on this issue?

I have two iPhone 5s... one (A) was completely dead and the other (B) wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few hours. I bought a replacement battery on ebay and replaced the battery in iPhone B with the new battery. I then took iPhone B's battery and put in iPhone A.

Afterwards, iPhone A turned on and worked fine. iPhone B wouldn't turn on at all. I assumed that I must have missed a connector somewhere, so I reconnected everything and it still wouldn't turn on. So I took the new battery and put it in iPhone A and put iPhone B's original batter back into iPhone B.

Now neither phone will turn on.

Can a reaplcement battery ruin an iPhone? because that's what seems to have happened.

EveTsaka

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
reaplcement battery should not ruin an iPhone

it seems your (A) dead just because the battery, but when you put the new battery there may be something missed. just put B's battery on it

but i don't what happen with (B), maybe something wrong on connectors inside your iPhone

torisboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Ok, So my phone is doing the same thing.
I know what may have caused it but now, I have no clue what to do.
I bought a new battery and decided after watching MANY videos and reading feedback, I could do it.
I had no issues with the screen and was very careful on the screws (sizes and locations) and the connectors. Probably over cautious on the tilting of the screen.
So the issue came in when removing the battery. I had it disconnected but couldn't get the tape off the back. I actually broke both tips on the plastic tools that were sent with the battery so I had them wedged under and inserted the small screwdriver under the battery and pried up. It worked great. I did it again and leaned it over to get an angle and punctured the battery and the metal touched the edge of the phone. A small electrical sizzle and now I don't know what I burned up.
Any suggestions?
thanks

RK3A

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
I to have done the exact same thing has you torisboy, but my 5s worked fine at first with the new battery in, but the next day it just kept dying after 5 minutes of use and the only way I could use it was by plugging it into a charger. So I purchased a second battery and installed that one. Now the phone wont boot up. I get the apple logo then the screen is just backlit, when I connect it to iTunes the phone is recognised but iTunes tells me that it has gone into recovery mode and that I have to update it first to get it to turn on. I clicked this option but it fails with an error message saying I have to restore the phone, which I didn't want to do has I would have lost all my data ( which I stupidly) had not backed up before the first battery swap. In the end I decided to go with the restore option but this always fails at the very end. I have tried everything I can find on the internet, but nothing works ( totally gutted ) so its either sell mine for spares or take it to apple and get charged an absolute fortune for a repair. So if anyone has resolved this issue PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share.

DidiSup

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Congo-brazzaville
When iPAD battery is disconnected, the device won't turn on. To fix the issue, you must open the motherboard covers (2 covers) and use an electric thin cable as JUMPER, to link two specific pins. Then the memory will be reset to start bit.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Have to wonder after reading all the above failures of folks attempting to change the battery themselves in their iPhones, of how much in time and money they spent? Apple will change the battery for $79.00. ;)

Reactions: perkedel

DidiSup

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Congo-brazzaville
One of my ipad 2 faced the same issue. I just didn't touch the tablet during 7 days. yesterday night I reconnected it to computer by PWR+HOME buttons, then it works again..

samp1954

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
Have to wonder after reading all the above failures of folks attempting to change the battery themselves in their iPhones, of how much in time and money they spent? Apple will change the battery for $79.00. ;)

samp1954

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
Have to wonder why the hell Apple makes it so hard to change a battery you can buy for $10 and glues to the back of the case and makes the components so delicate that they can be easily damaged when everyone else makes changing a battery a snap. Oh yeah, the late Steve Jobs and the Apple snob brigade.

Zela

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
Exact thoughts went through my mind. Why make it so hard to change such a simple thing.

Zela

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
...and my Iphone 5 wont start up as well; screen stays black after replacing with new battery. The phone is just buzzing every couple of seconds when connected to the charger. I tried putting back the old battery and the same thing happens. Now am confused (and sad) as to what to do next...any ideas or advise are welcome.

Jcsap

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Ok, So my phone is doing the same thing.
I know what may have caused it but now, I have no clue what to do.
I bought a new battery and decided after watching MANY videos and reading feedback, I could do it.
I had no issues with the screen and was very careful on the screws (sizes and locations) and the connectors. Probably over cautious on the tilting of the screen.
So the issue came in when removing the battery. I had it disconnected but couldn't get the tape off the back. I actually broke both tips on the plastic tools that were sent with the battery so I had them wedged under and inserted the small screwdriver under the battery and pried up. It worked great. I did it again and leaned it over to get an angle and punctured the battery and the metal touched the edge of the phone. A small electrical sizzle and now I don't know what I burned up.
Any suggestions?
thanks
Hi Mate, I know it has been a while now. Just wondering if u had a fix for your issue, as I had the same happening to my phone and now it's not turning off. Hope to here back from u.

henkebarn

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I've experienced this issue in the past few days. Bought two replacement batteries for my wifes and my two iPhone 5's that we're using as backups. I'm changing job and will be out of phone during august. So I thought, yeah. Let's change the battery on the spare phones.

I used the iFixit guide, it wasn't too hard to do it. Before assembling the screen back on the device I booted it and yes, it worked fine.

But when assembled the screen won't turn on. I opened it up, re-connected all the ports, nothing. Changed back to the old battery – doesn't work.

I did this on both phones (because I'm retarded) with the same results.

When I look closely I think that the display & digitizer ribbon cable has been gently crushed when I've assembled the screen back on. And I think that if not done perfectly you can definatly break the display cable – making the entire screen useless. I'll get it to a shop and try to get one of the phones fixed if it's not too expensive.

I've actually worked as a service provider for Apple products in sweden and I've fixed tons of computers. But iOS devices are much more delicate and I think that I'll keep my hands off from now on…

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Had the same when replaced my wife 4s battery, turned out it was a tiny puiece that works as "ground" that I did not fit correctly....

100pcs-Lot-Battery-Lock-Bracket-Holder-Replacement-Part-for-iPhone-4S.jpg

Hope it helps!

DeRainH20

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 this week. Afterwards it wouldn't turn on. The screen stays completely blank. I've tried holding home and power buttons together. I've also tried connecting it up to iTunes. Funnily enough the phone is recognised and I can see the battery charging status in iTunes but the storage bar is all yellow instead of split up depending on content. My computer also lets me access the hard disc so can still view photos.

Any idea what may be wrong? I've tried the original battery back in the phone but no change. I may have to just sell the phone for spares now, but not sure how I would wipe the hard-disc if phone won't turn on! iTunes fails when I try to sync it.

[doublepost=1486980760][/doublepost]I had the same problem. Took the phone apart again and I had the black piece from the battery on the leads wrong. I had to make sure I carefully put the little piece between battery & mother board, then put the leads on the board. Phone works again! Awesome! I praise God for helping me understand what I had done wrong. I hope I explained it well. Hm, the little piece that is attached to the battery with the leads on it-at first I was just placing it on the motherboard, what happened is the little piece of plastic was covering the leads, so motherboard could not read it. I took the little flap & unfolded it off the leads then put that down between the battery & motherboard & then the area with the leads laid on the motherboard and viola, the phone works with new battery! Yea!

Spinball

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Just wanted to add to this thread that I purchased a PowerBear iphone 5S replacement kit from Amazon.co.uk for £15 and after installing it, the phone is dead. I had watched several videos on how to do this and feel very confident that I have not broken the phone.
To check the installation, I disconnected and reconnected all the 5 connectors and they all clicked in just fine. I've ordered a different make of battery to test whether it's a duff battery or if I broke the iPhone. If it turns out I borke it, I'll be down to the Apple store tomorrow to buy two new iPhone SEs. I'll actually have to buy two because my other kid has similar battery problems and I'm not every going to try and fix an iPhone myself again.

Dingoboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018

[doublepost=1538400804][/doublepost]I had this problem after I replaced the battery. It was fine at first then I dropped the phone on the carpet. Not a particularly hard knock but the IPhone went into this white apple of death. I connected to iTunes and sure enough my problem was exactly the same as yours. Showed the iPhone serial number and said it had a problem and needed to be restored. Restore failed. Several times. I gave up on it. Bought another used iPhone 5s in perfect working order except it had a weak battery and cracked screen. No problem I thought. I will swap the new screen and battery from my dead iPhone. Guess what? After I did that the newer one did the same exact thing.i could not figure out where I went wrong. I bought more new batteries. Tried swapping the screens back around and nothing.
As I continued to mess around I stumbled on the fix and this was the only thing I got to work on both IPhones and they are both up and running. Bad news is the data is gone as it involved restoring them without the screen or home button plugged in. Yup. That's the trick. Restore the IPhone with no screen or home button. You will not be able to finish setting it up with no screen or turn off device. For that I unplugged the battery. Then replaced the screen.

I think what caused this was a damaged pin on the first ribbon cable you connect when installing the screen. I found minor damage on this. I think in shorting the connector it somehow corrupted the screen driver causing a fault in the boot up. Anyways I hope this helps someone else. It may even involve buying a new screen after you get the boot up sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.