Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Have you guys tried the regular Veil rather than the Veil XT? All these issues about installation and removal would go away if you just used the regular Veil with the open bottom. I use the Veil XT now as well, but if I'm honest, I could actually do just fine with the regular Veil, which is what I used since my iPhone 5.

It's funny because I remember reading similar issues about the Apple leather case last year and how the headphone jack area would break. Interestingly, the Apple also went to an open bottom this year with its leather case.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Have you guys tried the regular Veil rather than the Veil XT? All these issues about installation and removal would go away if you just used the regular Veil with the open bottom. I use the Veil XT now as well, but if I'm honest, I could actually do just fine with the regular Veil, which is what I used since my iPhone 5.

It's funny because I remember reading similar issues about the Apple leather case last year and how the headphone jack area would break. Interestingly, the Apple also went to an open bottom this year with its leather case.

I thought about that but then my second replacement case cracked where the volume rocker is located. So yes it would eliminate the chance of the case cracking in the dock area, but it could still crack somewhere else. That was my experience at least.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I thought about that but then my second replacement case cracked where the volume rocker is located. So yes it would eliminate the chance of the case cracking in the dock area, but it could still crack somewhere else. That was my experience at least.

Dunno then. My latest Veil has held up really well and I'm not going back to a case that's any more substantial. No cracks anywhere for me, but I'm pretty careful with my electronics. I guess everyone's usage is different.

Why don't you don't just ask for another replacement? These things aren't that expensive to begin with, and with how easy it is to get replacements from Caudabe it works out to about $5-$6 per case which is an absolute steal considering the quality of the case overall.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Why don't you don't just ask for another replacement? These things aren't that expensive to begin with, and with how easy it is to get replacements from Caudabe it works out to about $5-$6 per case which is an absolute steal considering the quality of the case overall.

By the amout of people needing replacements I wouldn't call it a quality case.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
By the amout of people needing replacements I wouldn't call it a quality case.

Funny - the same could be said about iPhones or MacBooks given the number of people with issues on Macrumors! :rolleyes: The way people complain on here about their devices, you'd think Apple was going out of business soon. But, it's pretty well known that people with issues tend to voice opinions more than people who are happy with whatever they purchased. The only thing one can be sure of about anything on Macrumors is that there is clearly a large number of OCD, super obsessive personalities here. LOL

Anyway, of all the thin cases I've tried (and I've tried a lot), the Veils have been the best in terms of overall fit and finish (plus the really easy replacement process, which I appreciate). Super thin cases are all going to be more fragile and require more care than Otterboxes or thicker cases. I think most complaints on here about the Veil are from people who probably shouldn't be using a super thin case in the first place. These types of cases look beautiful but as a practical matter they aren't for everyone.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I think most complaints on here about the Veil are from people who probably shouldn't be using a super thin case in the first place. These types of cases look beautiful but as a practical matter they aren't for everyone.

+1. I wouldn't use any case other than a Veil just due to my own aesthetic tastes. It's beautiful and very functional for what I want it to do. But the way I use my phone is also a good match for the Veil. It's meant more for looks and protection from scratches. Basically like a skin without the messy application and peeling. I understand that when I use it so it doesn't upset me if something bad happens. Most people who don't understand that are better off with a thicker case. It's sort of like complaining that a Ferrari doesn't do very well off-road. Well, yeah, but then again it wasn't really meant for that was it?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Dunno then. My latest Veil has held up really well and I'm not going back to a case that's any more substantial. No cracks anywhere for me, but I'm pretty careful with my electronics. I guess everyone's usage is different.

I would ask for another replacement but Caudabe's warranty doesn't cover people who live outside the USA. They did make an exception for me the first time. I think most people who don't remove the case on a regular basis won't have issues with case cracking.

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
Any Veil XT users that aren't using a screen protector noticing their screens getting scratched due to the lack of a lip on the front of the case?

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Anyone got any info on the new case that Caudabe are going to release soon? It is supposed to be a little thicker.

charis1113

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
It is a new design. I don't mean a thicker Veil or Veil XT, I mean a new case that they are going to release.

I see! So do you know anything about the new design?
Maybe they sent out some samples for reviewer already.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Any Veil XT users that aren't using a screen protector noticing their screens getting scratched due to the lack of a lip on the front of the case?

I don't have the Veil XT. However, I do have the Shurmuri Slim Extra and it has scratched my iPhone's screen on the sides of the phone. It is because of the lack of a lip I assume.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I see! So do you know anything about the new design?
Maybe they sent out some samples for reviewer already.

No I only know that they are bringing out a new case that thicker than the veil from an email they sent me.

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
I don't have the Veil XT. However, I do have the Shurmuri Slim Extra and it has scratched my iPhone's screen on the sides of the phone. It is because of the lack of a lip I assume.

As I was suspecting, thanks for confirming.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011

Are you saying the the case scratched your screen or the screen was scratched(by something else) because the case does not have a lip on it?

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Are the sides of this case loose at all? For example, if you swipe outward from the screen to the side of the phone, does it easily flex and pull away from the phone? I bought this case and after a few days, it was so loose it would pull away just holding the phone, and the corners would slip off taking the phone out of my pocket. I realize there will always be some give based on how thin these cases are, but I am hoping the Veil is more firm and better quality.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Are the sides of this case loose at all? For example, if you swipe outward from the screen to the side of the phone, does it easily flex and pull away from the phone? I bought this case and after a few days, it was so loose it would pull away just holding the phone, and the corners would slip off taking the phone out of my pocket. I realize there will always be some give based on how thin these cases are, but I am hoping the Veil is more firm and better quality.

The two cases I have used fit very tight and have little to no play, however; I would not recommend taking the case off to much as it tends to stretch. The case almost feels like part of the phone so when you swipe it does not pull away.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Are you saying the the case scratched your screen or the screen was scratched(by something else) because the case does not have a lip on it?

I believe that the case scratched the screen. Prior to using the case, I was using the phone without a case for four months and the phone had no scratches. The scratches are located right on the sides where the case comes up on the side.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I believe that the case scratched the screen. Prior to using the case, I was using the phone without a case for four months and the phone had no scratches. The scratches are located right on the sides where the case comes up on the side.

Thanks, and that is not good if it is scratching the phone. Anyone else seeing this?

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Thanks, and that is not good if it is scratching the phone. Anyone else seeing this?

Nah, I don't believe that to be honest. The case barely extends above the part where the metal and glass meet. And the plastic is really soft/flexible. I've had much harder cases (like the elago and ringke) that don't scratch the screen, much less the Veil. I was using the non-XT Veil for months before the Veil XT and that one has a much bigger "lip". Even then I didn't get any screen scratching.

Reactions: Will22

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The Veil XT i got a couple of months ago is still flawless and there's no scratching on my screen from the case. That sounds really odd anyway. The case isn't hard enough to scratch the screen nor does it wrap around the screen high enough to induce scratches. I've literally brushed my screen with coins and other much harder materials and have never scratched the screen. Heck, it was inadvertently rubbed in a pocket half-full of sand once and it didn't scratch. The iPhone screen is a lot more durable than people give it credit for.

Reactions: Will22

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
The Veil XT i got a couple of months ago is still flawless and there's no scratching on my screen from the case. That sounds really odd anyway. The case isn't hard enough to scratch the screen nor does it wrap around the screen high enough to induce scratches. I've literally brushed my screen with coins and other much harder materials and have never scratched the screen. Heck, it was inadvertently rubbed in a pocket half-full of sand once and it didn't scratch. The iPhone screen is a lot more durable than people give it credit for.

Durable? Not according to these articles and forum post:

Forum post:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765?start=0&tstart=0

Articles:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-iphone-6-may-have-a-scratch-problem-2014-11

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-owners-complain-of-easily-scratched-screens-

https://bgr.com/2014/11/25/iphone-6-scratched-screens/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/1...-owners-say-their-screens-scratch-too-easily/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...ns-get-easily-scratched-complain-users-627276

http://www.redmondpie.com/scratchga...ratch-too-easily-compared-to-previous-models/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.