Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I don't want to sound it like off-topic, but why do you guys need a TRIM support for a 3rd-party drive? My early-2014 MBA came w/ Apple SSD and TRIM is enabled by default

Because Apple enabled TRIM support on SSDs identified as Apple drives - only. This excludes all third party drives, except Angelbird. Angelbird labels their drives as Apple drives. Do a search and some reading and you'll learn more.

Lou

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Because Apple enabled TRIM support on SSDs identified as Apple drives - only. This excludes all third party drives, except Angelbird. Angelbird labels their drives as Apple drives. Do a search and some reading and you'll learn more.

Lou

Yep. I use trim enabler, but it would be nice not to have to.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I have the LaCie Thunderbolt external SSD (RAID 0) 1 TB connected to my late 2013 iMac.
As my iMac has an Apple branded internal SSD, Trim Enabler is not needed.

BUT... I would love to use TRIM on the external LaCie SSD too, but using Trim Enabler is not the correct way (I don't like the extensions-signing "hack").
And, as my internal SSD is Apple branded, that SSD has TRIM enabled anyway....

So, couple of questions here:
1. Hoe to enable TRIM on 3rd party (LaCie Thunderbolt) SSD which is not used as the Boot Volume?
2. Does occasionally erasing the external SSD with writing zero's "help" keep an external SSD healthy, even without TRIM?

MDangerous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Well folks, we have won! Apple has given us native TRIM support. Thanks to everyone who sent their feedback to Apple. I'm sure you all contributed to making this happen.

Reactions: mlts22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.