Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Someone posted in the Geforce forum today (I think his username is ManualG) and said that there is a driver patch coming out for Kepler cards... and it's not limited to just Witcher 3. I guess my build/upgrade cash can stay put for a little while longer.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I've been enjoying this game faaar too much. I have 94 hours in it, and only 54% completion.
I've been running it on a mix of low and medium settings on a 2010 GTX 580 1,5GB
Ordered two Superclocked 980Tis, so I can finally use this lovely G-Sync 144hz monitor.

Sadly the Titan X I ordered was DOA, hence the GTX 580 being used. Some advice, avoid Scan.co.uk like the plague. Took me 3 weeks to get the Titan RMA'd and get my refund out of them.

Some screenshots :D

iS00lwd.jpg

yXVIOT1.png

xxSoOFa.png

Fl2rTZ7.png

eviK9em.jpg

LbzMgm7.png

8LtLA9I.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Renzatic

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I've been enjoying this game faaar too much. I have 94 hours in it, and only 54% completion.
I've been running it on a mix of low and medium settings on a 2010 GTX 580 1,5GB
Ordered two Superclocked 980Tis, so I can finally use this lovely G-Sync 144hz monitor.

Sadly the Titan X I ordered was DOA, hence the GTX 580 being used. Some advice, avoid Scan.co.uk like the plague. Took me 3 weeks to get the Titan RMA'd and get my refund out of them.
I haven't seen you in a while... nice screenshots. PC gaming now?

My tri-SLI'd 780's are still running like crap with the latest drivers over the weekend in 3x monitors NVidia surround. It runs over 30fps, but I'm not used to playing games below 60fps. Really sucks to see games running this poorly on little over a year old cards. It's still playable... and I can always switch to one monitor... so I'll try to hold off till Pascal's release. Those 980Ti's are very tempting. I may change my mind when Arkham Knight comes out... but Pascals are reported to by 10X faster than the Titan X. :eek:

I always by NVidia cards from EVGA. RMA process is painless for me... and get my cards within a week. That might be because I'm an hour away from them... :p

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I haven't seen you in a while... nice screenshots. PC gaming now?

My tri-SLI'd 780's are still running like crap with the latest drivers over the weekend in 3x monitors NVidia surround. It runs over 30fps, but I'm not used to playing games below 60fps. Really sucks to see games running this poorly on little over a year old cards. It's still playable... and I can always switch to one monitor... so I'll try to hold off till Pascal's release. Those 980Ti's are very tempting. I may change my mind when Arkham Knight comes out... but Pascals are reported to by 10X faster than the Titan X. :eek:

I always by NVidia cards from EVGA. RMA process is painless for me... and get my cards within a week. That might be because I'm an hour away from them... :p

Hey yeah, been away for a while. Always been PC gaming. Mac is a PC remember ;)

In truth, I'm just a horrible techslut and the new X99 and DDR4 platform was just irresistible.
Triple 780's are still good, the issue is that triple monitors is nightmarishly difficult to run. I went for an the ASUS 144Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor, and it's glorious. Although since my Titan X died, I haven't been able to use it at all. Looking forward to SLI 980Ti's though. Will be my first SLI experience since the old abysmal 7950GX2 card.
EVGA in the EU sold out within 40 minutes so I ordered from Caseking.de, only paying €60 more total for the cards.

That x10 number quoted for Pascal isn't performance in FPS that we know, it's computational work. Most likely Single or Double Precision loads. It's like DirectX 12 offering 300% improvement to CPU's, and x12 GPU 'performance'. In actuality it just means CPU's can send data at best 300% faster in theoretical tests, and the x12 GPU improvement is actually x12 lower driver overhead. Which can be anything from 5-50% performance improvement depending on so many variables.

I'm looking forward to Pascal though. It looks to be the first massive jump I've seen since the old 8800GTX and CUDA first appeared.

I just want the Witcher 3 at 1440p G-Sync 60fps constant with full Ultra settings, including Hairworks.

Although the new TressFX is due with the new Deus Ex game. They claim 3-5times less performance heavy than old TressFX and current Hairworks, while being more advanced :D

Here is how it looks on my iMac. 2560x 1440

Medium settings @2560 x 1440. I'm getting 20-30fps so far.
That's rather really well at that resolution for the iMac, plus still looking awesome. :D

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina

In truth, I'm just a horrible techslut and the new X99 and DDR4 platform was just irresistible.
Triple 780's are still good, the issue is that triple monitors is nightmarishly difficult to run. I went for an the ASUS 144Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor, and it's glorious. Although since my Titan X died, I haven't been able to use it at all. Looking forward to SLI 980Ti's though. Will be my first SLI experience since the old abysmal 7950GX2 card.
EVGA in the EU sold out within 40 minutes so I ordered from Caseking.de, only paying €60 more total for the cards.

That x10 number quoted for Pascal isn't performance in FPS that we know, it's computational work. Most likely Single or Double Precision loads. It's like DirectX 12 offering 300% improvement to CPU's, and x12 GPU 'performance'. In actuality it just means CPU's can send data at best 300% faster in theoretical tests, and the x12 GPU improvement is actually x12 lower driver overhead. Which can be anything from 5-50% performance improvement depending on so many variables.

I'm looking forward to Pascal though. It looks to be the first massive jump I've seen since the old 8800GTX and CUDA first appeared.

I just want the Witcher 3 at 1440p G-Sync 60fps constant with full Ultra settings, including Hairworks.

Although the new TressFX is due with the new Deus Ex game. They claim 3-5times less performance heavy than old TressFX and current Hairworks, while being more advanced :D

That's rather really well at that resolution for the iMac, plus still looking awesome. :D
I'm installing it on my PC now. That's only using a i7-4770, 16GB ram and a GTX 770. It's running 35-40fps on that with High settings @1080p. Ultra settings brings it down to 25-30.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego

Didn't want to quote your large post... which you tend to do... LOL...:p

I just presumed you weren't talking mac... because you were talking about buying new current GPU cards and SLI. I don't see many mac gamers talking about these things in the gaming forum. I'm a tech fan also... not matter what platform or brand... as you know. I have the cash to by new cards, but I didn't expect my 780's would go sub 30's in ultra settings in the resolution I play in so soon. Technically, since I went from a 580 to 780... I'm in line for a 980ti... but NVidia skipped the 880. TW3 is still playable... not at the settings I prefer... but still enjoying the game. I'll stick it out for now... since it wasn't my plan to buy GPU's this year. Things can change quick though... if I want to jump into Oculus rift when it comes out. I know it's a fad... but I also bought NVidia 3D glasses too... It's collecting dust on my desk... LOL

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I went from a 460 to a GTX770 last year, and I'll probably upgrade the GPU next year, or wait another year. Not sure yet. I might do a complete overhaul next year... who knows lol.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Well... I learned one thing about NVidia. Don't buy a new card on an architecture that is at its end of life. Kepler was made obsolete 2 weeks ago... and it is going down hill fast. I was thinking of upgrading to Broadwell E next year... but it looks like Skylake will be out before it comes out. Next year is when I want to start looking into upgrades.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Didn't want to quote your large post... which you tend to do... LOL...:p

I just presumed you weren't talking mac... because you were talking about buying new current GPU cards and SLI. I don't see many mac gamers talking about these things in the gaming forum. I'm a tech fan also... not matter what platform or brand... as you know. I have the cash to by new cards, but I didn't expect my 780's would go sub 30's in ultra settings in the resolution I play in so soon. Technically, since I went from a 580 to 780... I'm in line for a 980ti... but NVidia skipped the 880. TW3 is still playable... not at the settings I prefer... but still enjoying the game. I'll stick it out for now... since it wasn't my plan to buy GPU's this year. Things can change quick though... if I want to jump into Oculus rift when it comes out. I know it's a fad... but I also bought NVidia 3D glasses too... It's collecting dust on my desk... LOL

Yes, Kepler suffering a lot in new games. It seems mostly down to Tessellation, which is why the current AMD cards slightly went ahead of them in the Witcher 3. Although AMD cards have the advantage of being able to set max tessellation use levels on a per game level in their drivers as well.
So they can turn Hairworks on, but then change its Tessellation level from x8( min ), to something like x2. barely makes a difference to looks unless you stand still and zoom in; but helps with performance.

The latest driver is support to help Kepler cards, but it seems Maxwell is where it's at right now for performance.

One thing is for sure though, No Hairworks = Sadworks. :p

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Running this at 30fps on 780M + 353.06 driver on my late 2013 iMac @ 2560x1440. Mix of medium settings (textures, detail) and low (shadows, foliage, etc.). Scales well. A few frame drops here and there but I can deal with that in an RPG like TW3 rather than running non-native.

Still looks great and is definitely playable.

Reactions: apple_iBoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.