Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
And, as I am now beginning to run somewhat low on coffees, now may be the time to consult certain websites, and peruse what they have to offer.

As mentioned earlier, I was pretty impressed with what the Ethiopian Coffee Company had to offer, and will take a fresh look to see what newer stuff has become available since I last dealt with them.

Do report back which you choose!

I've been on a long pour over binge, but I think this weekend I'll switch the grinder back to an espresso setting. :cool:

I have some unroasted Ethiopiques ready to go. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been out of coffee since the weekend. Blue Bottle gave me a credit for the last shipment that the Postal Service never delivered and dispatched a new batch to me.

Again, according to the Postal Service, the new dispatch is due to arrive tomorrow.

I am not holding my breath on this delivery either.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've been out of coffee since the weekend. Blue Bottle gave me a credit for the last shipment that the Postal Service never delivered and dispatched a new batch to me.

Again, according to the Postal Service, the new dispatch is due to arrive tomorrow.

I am not holding my breath on this delivery either.

Jeez, these delivery problems are utterly strange. :confused:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I assume this doesn't typically happen with other USPS deliveries to you?

No, but then most of the stuff I order, which isn't very often, ships via UPS or FedEx. If I have a choice of carrier when I order, I always skip the USPS and select one of the commercial carriers.

I just noticed that the replacement shipment Blue Bottle sent me went USPS 2-day priority. Normally it's shipped First-Class Mail.

Now, one would think that First-Class Mail would be a good way to ship, based solely on the name. If we fly First-Class, we get big seats, leg room and champagne. But the USPS version of First-Class clearly isn't in the same league as the common held definition.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
No, but then most of the stuff I order, which isn't very often, ships via UPS or FedEx. If I have a choice of carrier when I order, I always skip the USPS and select one of the commercial carriers.

I just noticed that the replacement shipment Blue Bottle sent me went USPS 2-day priority. Normally it's shipped First-Class Mail.

Now, one would think that First-Class Mail would be a good way to ship, based solely on the name. If we fly First-Class, we get big seats, leg room and champagne. But the USPS version of First-Class clearly isn't in the same league as the common held definition.

LOL, yes I've always been amused by "First Class" mail. It is just the regular mail service! Well, it is supposed to distinguish from other sorts of bulk mail like flyers and (I think) magazines and catalogues. It always struck me as a marketing gimmick.

I hope your coffee arrives soon!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I received this reply from Blue Bottle a few minutes ago.

I'm the Director of Digital Product at Blue Bottle and wanted to reach out.

We're experiencing a lot of missing updates from the USPS system. They have recently provided us with a new tool that we're going to be using that should provide more granular tracking for all of our first class packages.

We are going to look into additional carriers but that will be a longterm project that won't necessarily bear fruit immediately. The 6oz package is definitely a first class shipping product and going up to priority would double the cost.

If you do think you can use 12oz, that product does ship via Priority mail and while for most people First Class and priority see the same results, on average the delays with priority are slightly lower than the delays with First Class. Also - the weeks where USPS has heavy volume (the week Mother's Day, Tax Day), seem to be especially bad.

I sincerely hope that the coffee arrives within a timely fashion from here on out. If not, feel free to write in. You should not have to pay for service that is not good enough. I apologize that we could not hit your expectations and you ended up without the product you love. We will strive to do better.

All the best.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Have they offered any sort of compensation for the poor quality of service that you have experienced recently?

Yes. They have twice now given me full credit on two orders. They're customer service is great. I don't fault Blue Bottle in the least for these problems. It's the US Postal Service that is to blame. They are, frequently, unable to meet their own stated delivery dates for packages.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes. They have twice now given me full credit on two orders. They're customer service is great. I don't fault Blue Bottle in the least for these problems. It's the US Postal Service that is to blame. They are, frequently, unable to meet their own stated delivery dates for packages.

Well, at least they acknowledged the inconvenience and frustration of what has happened in a timely and professional manner.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Here is the remainder of our email conversation.

Me:
Thank you for the reply. I was looking around on the subscriptions page and it looks like I could go with a Standard Bag (12 oz) and set it to every 4 weeks and that, in theory, should work out the same as the half bag (6 oz) every two weeks that I’ve been doing so far. If I do that, you’re telling me that it will ship via Priority Mail, rather than First Class Mail?

Don’t worry too much, I don’t blame Blue Bottle in the least bit for this. The problem is wholly on the US Postal Service who cannot seem to deliver consistently on their own stated delivery dates.

Blue Bottle’s customer service has been #1 in my book all along and I appreciate that very much.

BB:
You're very welcome.

The standard back every four weeks would indeed accomplish what you want. It will indeed ship priority.

I appreciate your support very much and look forward to improving your service as much as we can! Thank you for the kudos - I'll pass that along to the entire team.

Me:
Thank you. I am going to make that subscription change and see how it goes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was visiting with my local Michigan State Police Post Commander a couple of weeks ago at his office. We were discussing a combined project we're working on together along with two neighboring counties and some of the politics that go along with County vs. State stuff.

I'm a firm believer of working along side and with other agencies and to be especially helpful any time that I can. Sadly, not all public safety agencies feel the same, which is too bad because I view it as we are all on the same team.

However, because I showed the Post Commander compassion and helpfulness on many fronts, myself being a County person, he gave me a very nice Michigan State Police coffee mug.

The mug is actually a dark blue, not black, and has wisps of white snarling through it.

2015-05-16 11.38.59.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was visiting with my local Michigan State Police Post Commander a couple of weeks ago at his office. We were discussing a combined project we're working on together along with two neighboring counties and some of the politics that go along with County vs. State stuff.

I'm a firm believer of working along side and with other agencies and to be especially helpful any time that I can. Sadly, not all public safety agencies feel the same, which is too bad because I view it as we are all on the same team.

However, because I showed the Post Commander compassion and helpfulness on many fronts, myself being a County person, he gave me a very nice Michigan State Police coffee mug.

The mug is actually a dark blue, not black, and has wisps of white snarling through it.

View attachment 552837

Lovely mug, and great story.

That backstory will add immeasurably to the pleasure of you derive from every cup of coffee that you sip from this mug in the future…...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Lovely mug, and great story.

That backstory will add immeasurably to the pleasure of you derive from every cup of coffee that you sip from this mug in the future…...

Glory days are back again!

Because the USPS messed up my last order, which still hasn't arrived yet, Blue Bottle gave me a credit and shipped a new batch 2-day Priority USPS. Well, good ol' USPS's 2-day Priority was really 3-day Priority. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but it came just a few minutes ago.

Regardless, I finally have some coffee again! It's been more than a week since I ran out and I've been sustaining myself on tea, Earl Grey and Black, for caffeine.

I just brewed a cup of it and poured it from the French Press into my Michigan State Police mug and am sipping on it's loveliness now. :)

I just love Blue Bottle even more now. I have been on a 6 oz subscription all along, and the batch they just sent me, for free, was a 12 oz batch! I thought the box was rather large compared to what I normally received from them.

This batch is called:

Colombia Cerro Azul Gesha
Nestled in the Valle del Cauca region of Colombia, Cerro Azul is known for its Gesha, especially since it is the only varietal they grow on the farm (30,000 trees—all Gesha!). Advanced climate tracking technology provides farmers with detailed information about factors such as rainfall, sun, and wind so that they can optimize their harvest. There’s something about this coffee that reminds us of Aranciata, the Italian sparkling fruit beverage. Refreshing and zippy with jasmine and plum, it might just make you want to sip your coffee through a striped paper straw.

Oh it tastes so good! Plus, I'm a big fan of the Colombian beans, so this is even better to finally get coffee and get some of my favorite beans too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Glory days are back again!

Because the USPS messed up my last order, which still hasn't arrived yet, Blue Bottle gave me a credit and shipped a new batch 2-day Priority USPS. Well, good ol' USPS's 2-day Priority was really 3-day Priority. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but it came just a few minutes ago.

Regardless, I finally have some coffee again! It's been more than a week since I ran out and I've been sustaining myself on tea, Earl Grey and Black, for caffeine.

I just brewed a cup of it and poured it from the French Press into my Michigan State Police mug and am sipping on it's loveliness now. :)

I just love Blue Bottle even more now. I have been on a 6 oz subscription all along, and the batch they just sent me, for free, was a 12 oz batch! I thought the box was rather large compared to what I normally received from them.

This batch is called:

Oh it tastes so good! Plus, I'm a big fan of the Colombian beans, so this is even better to finally get coffee and get some of my favorite beans too.

Great story, - that is a fine example of proper customer service - and I'm delighted to learn that you managed to receive some wonderful Colombian beans as well.

Enjoy the mug and - above all - enjoy the coffee.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Several sources suggest ~17:1 (water:coffee) weight ratio, and let’s see, your 650ml is ~22 fluid oz.

Depends on whether you are using fluid ounces or grams.

Fluid ounces: multiply the weight of the coffee by 16. To go in the other direction, use 0.0625.

Grams: multiply the weight of the coffee by 16.695 (the result will be cc's of water). To go in the other direction, use 0.0599.

So, your calculation would produce slightly under-watered coffee (assuming all other factors are held constant), but certainly within shooting range.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Anyone here ever tried New Mexican Pinon Coffee? I picked some up at Trader Joe's the other day out of curiosity and finally got around to trying it this morning -- it's really interesting! Kind of reminds me of hazelnut-flavored coffee or something with a bit of a chocolate-y taste. The coffee is made with Mexican pine nuts (?!) and also Arabica beans, so it has an unusual and distinctive flavor. Not something I'd want to drink every day but it definitely is interesting......

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Fluid ounces: multiply the weight of the coffee by 16. To go in the other direction, use 0.0625.

Grams: multiply the weight of the coffee by 16.695 (the result will be cc's of water). To go in the other direction, use 0.0599.

So, your calculation would produce slightly under-watered coffee (assuming all other factors are held constant), but certainly within shooting range.

Lovely to see you here again. And may I extend a most heartfelt and very warm welcome to you. And I hope that you can stay a while with us for now……

Knowing your love of the Ethiopian bean, I thought I'd share with you the fact that I discovered a splendid bunch of enthusiasts for Ethiopian coffee in London…..and have been sampling some of their beans and brews ever since.

They go by the (entirely unoriginal, but easily reached) name of the "Ethiopian Coffee Company"…...

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Welcome back my friend! Glad to see you here again and dispensing your vast knowledge of coffee expertise to us humble students of yours. :)

Anyone here ever tried New Mexican Pinon Coffee? I picked some up at Trader Joe's the other day out of curiosity and finally got around to trying it this morning -- it's really interesting! Kind of reminds me of hazelnut-flavored coffee or something with a bit of a chocolate-y taste. The coffee is made with Mexican pine nuts (?!) and also Arabica beans, so it has an unusual and distinctive flavor. Not something I'd want to drink every day but it definitely is interesting......

No, I've not tried that kind before. I've been on a subscription plan from Blue Bottle for a while now.

Lovely to see you here again. And may I extend a most heartfelt and very warm welcome to you. And I hope that you can stay a while with us for now
…...

Most agreed.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012

Lovely to see you here again. And may I extend a most heartfelt and very warm welcome to you. And I hope that you can stay a while with us for now……

…...

Most agreed.

Most kind, and thank you. As I suspect you surmised, I have been absent, for about six months, dealing with the return of my cancer. It has not been fun, but I am still alive. And regularly yelling at everyone about the crap coffee....which, after four tumors, I believe I am entitled to define as any coffee not roasted and made by me!

That's good news, SS. Hard to beat a nicely made Ethiopian.

I will not be a frequent poster, but will drop in as things allow.

Best wishes to you all, friends.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Most kind, and thank you. As I suspect you surmised, I have been absent, for about six months, dealing with the return of my cancer. It has not been fun, but I am still alive. And regularly yelling at everyone about the crap coffee....which, after four tumors, I believe I am entitled to define as any coffee not roasted and made by me!

Hey buddy, nice to see you 'round these parts.:cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Well, I did surmise that, and your post is but a confirmation of this grim news, and also debated with myself whether or not to attempt to contact you privately.

I am truly sorry to learn that the cancer returned, - and, going by your post, it seems that it returned with something of a vengeance - something which must have been hugely testing and trying, as well as exhausting and frightening, especially after you had been through so much and had overcome so much over the course of the previous year or so.

Four tumours: Good grief. Take care and stay safe and - and try to get well. Above all, take time for yourself and those whom you love.

Stay in touch and look after yourself. Even an infrequent visit will be greeted with open arms and a warm welcome. Good to hear your voice and see your presence online, even if rarely. Meanwhile, try to make sure you take good care of yourself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.