Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If the developer does it right there is no lag problem - Real Racing 2 had success with that.

You don't need to show it on the iPad or iPhone - if there is nothing to compare it to you'll be fine - HDMI cables would also accomplish the same thing OUYA is doing once MFI is out there

An Ouya with a controller is a lot less money than an iPad plus a controller plus an AppleTV...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
An Ouya with a controller is a lot less money than an iPad plus a controller plus an AppleTV...

Sure the point is that everyone already has one and that the market of the Ouya doesn't really exist - the iPad is a platform to do everything - I think it is safe to assume that the Ouya is dead once the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad become the brains. The missing piece is a good MFI controller.

Sure those things cost more money than Ouya, but people aren't buying iPads or iPhones for gaming alone - it is a nice secondary thing that it does.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Sure the point is that everyone already has one and that the market of the Ouya doesn't really exist - the iPad is a platform to do everything - I think it is safe to assume that the Ouya is dead once the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad become the brains. The missing piece is a good MFI controller.

Sure those things cost more money than Ouya, but people aren't buying iPads or iPhones for gaming alone - it is a nice secondary thing that it does.

Yes, everyone may have one, but are they willing to use it for gaming? Are they willing to share amongst family members to game instead of another for doing homework?

A $99 Android console will fit in nicely - if properly done.

BTW: The MiiPC looks to be a great idea, but looking at the NEW pricing for production models, they start at $130 (no mouse or keyboard). The Ouya for $99 with a controller would be great if you can hack it to be a desktop computer, which was supposed to be the case.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Interested in reviews from people on here as well. I heard they are really good for emulators and also that the wired Xbox 360 controller works really well with them. I haven't heard much about the games that are specifically made for the Ouya though. I almost bought one at $99 at Target maybe a month ago. $79 is tempting.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I'm not really interested in emu's, as I love playing on the original consoles/controllers/media.

I'm wondering how the actually Ouya tailored games are, playing on a touchscreen has gotten old - don't like putting my fingers all over the playing screen... ;)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Sorry I didn't post this earlier but Target has been clearing their inventory out this past 2 weeks.

Ouya Console: $59.99
Ouya Controller: $29.99(?)

One of the Targets near me had a bunch 2 weeks ago, this past few days they were out.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I'm not really interested in emu's, as I love playing on the original consoles/controllers/media.

I'm wondering how the actually Ouya tailored games are, playing on a touchscreen has gotten old - don't like putting my fingers all over the playing screen... ;)

I bought one this past spring. I tried to like it but just couldn't. The emulation was decent but the games for Ouya were super laggy or framerates dropped a lot. The store was nice and demos were cool but actually playing games, or at least the ones I tried, wasn't a great experience. Not to mention the controller was not great at all.

I ended up returning it as I couldn't tell if it was just the way games are on it or if I had a defective one. Nice concept, but either I got unlucky or poor realization.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Did anyone actually waste their money on this LOL

I know a couple of people with one. Such a shame it crashed but the vision wasn't strong from the start. Plus with them talking about releasing a new version every year just made me not want to buy one (at least a Rev A model). But who could have predicted Sony, Nintendo AND Microsoft would start paying so much attention to indies! That was the deathblow to Ouya.

Along with OnLive that was a little era of flawed products!

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I know a couple of people with one. Such a shame it crashed but the vision wasn't strong from the start. Plus with them talking about releasing a new version every year just made me not want to buy one (at least a Rev A model). But who could have predicted Sony, Nintendo AND Microsoft would start paying so much attention to indies! That was the deathblow to Ouya.

I think it didn't help when the company came out saying the Ouya was a better alternative to traditional consoles and would impact their sales lol

Also, their president is delusional and up to maybe a month ago still believed the console was doing very well and had plans for new versions like you said...

Seriously, who would buy a new "console" every year, specially at $99?!? What a horrible strategy, it's really not comparable to phones...

So many wrong steps, I'm surprised they've last this long. Well up to a month ago, now theyre for sale, I'd be surprised if anyone actually bought them unless it was some TV company trying to implement the tech into the tv.

Onlive was too ahead of its time, the broadband speeds were definitely not there yet and the competitor Gaikai got bought out by Sony, but even then the PS Now is just terrible when I tried it....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gaikai got bought out by Sony, but even then the PS Now is just terrible when I tried it....

I've still not tried that out despite my game being one of the launch/beta titles in the US and EU! It's not something that appeals to me, the lag you get playing Vita from a PS4 in the same room is bad enough for me to skip playing fast games.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I've still not tried that out despite my game being one of the launch/beta titles in the US and EU! It's not something that appeals to me, the lag you get playing Vita from a PS4 in the same room is bad enough for me to skip playing fast games.

Way cool! Which one is yours? :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Did anyone actually waste their money on this LOL

My Target had them closeout for $60 was already sold out. Maybe I would've gotten one for $50.

OMG - Did the eBay resellers scarp them up from Target? They are selling them for $190! :eek:

Yeah, right, more than a new PS3 or XBox 360... :rolleyes:

Ouya was released at the wrong time with Sony, Google and Amazon releasing their microconsoles as well.

Got a Playstation TV instead for $70 used, but I guess Amazon had them for $49 recently to move them. I like mine but it unfortunately seems kind half-baked. I like playing some compatible Vita and PSP games on it.

Seems like Sony could make that a great microconsole if they try a bit harder.

Then there's Apple with AppleTV...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I used an OUYA and I'm afraid to say it was a poor experience. My nVidia Shield can do everything it can and more. And my shield is portable. I can see OUYA being good for disadvantaged kids, nothing more regretfully. And even then, a 2nd hand 360 or even a PS2 would probably do a better job.

Reactions: kingc0bra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.