Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Void5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Does the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter cause any latency / delay in comparison to an ethernet cable plugged directly into a computer?

Also, what are Thunderbolt ports used for? Will plugging in the adapter give me enough room to plug in whatever else the Thunderbolt uses?

Thanks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm just wondering whether you or anyone else tested this. I've found a handful of posts online with people complaining about latency with the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, but there doesn't seem to be any information out there about whether it's a widespread issue or just something isolated.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Thanks; that's good to hear. The new MBP looks nice, other than the lack of Ethernet, and I'm pretty close to biting the bullet :)

Edit: *chew*

Last edited:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Thanks; that's good to hear. The new MBP looks nice, other than the lack of Ethernet, and I'm pretty close to biting the bullet :)

Edit: *chew*

Also look at third party USB 3 adapters with a built-in USB hub. I have one, and it gives me more USB without using up a thunderbolt port.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Also look at third party USB 3 adapters with a built-in USB hub. I have one, and it gives me more USB without using up a thunderbolt port.

I've ordered the Thunderbolt adapter, and I'm not worried about using up a port. My 2011 had one port and the only device I had for it was an HDMI adapter. Now there's a separate HDMI port and two Thunderbolts, so I don't foresee any issues there.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I've never had latency issues with either USB3 or TB. Either way, it's going to be a hell of a lot faster than Wi-Fi :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, got my 2015 MBP today, with Thunderbolt adapter... and immediate 40 ms latency increase to World of Warcraft. That had me freaked out for a few minutes until I tried the old computer and found the same problem there - must be an ISP or server issue!

It does indeed look like the Thunderbolt adapter doesn't introduce any delay :)

Edit: Now resolved for two of the WoW servers that I play on but still waiting for the one I use most!

Last edited:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
OK, got my 2015 MBP today, with Thunderbolt adapter... and immediate 40 ms latency increase to World of Warcraft. That had me freaked out for a few minutes until I tried the old computer and found the same problem there - must be an ISP or server issue!

It does indeed look like the Thunderbolt adapter doesn't introduce any delay :)

Edit: Now resolved for two of the WoW servers that I play on but still waiting for the one I use most!

Thunderbolt is a direct line to the pcie bus, so lag should be very minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.