Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooch3265

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Almost worked out of the box with MDP --> DP. Couldn't get the screen to occupy the full width of the monitor (black bars either end) until I realized that I had to put the MBP into clamshell mode.

Presumably the Radeon 1GB card hasn't got the power to run the internal screen AND the LG at 2560 x 1080.

I haven't tried MDP --> HDMI and really don't think I'll need that option in a work environment.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Presumably the Radeon 1GB card hasn't got the power to run the internal screen AND the LG at 2560 x 1080.

- Sure it does. Apple specifications for your machine:
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
It can even use two Apple Thunderbolt Displays at 2560x1440 each in addition to its internal display.

Did you check that you weren't mirroring the screens?

Considering my points in previous posts, may I ask what your motivation for getting that monitor was?

gooch3265

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I was mirroring screens and had assumed that the system or the LG monitor would automatically expand the output to cover the entire LG screen. It doesn't output the mirrored output to full width on the LG monitor without entering clamshell mode.

If I am using the LG monitor as a second desktop with the MBP screen active too then the output on the LG monitor is expanded to full width.

I want to use the LG monitor as a mirror of the MBP screen, and not have to use the MBP screen at all for ergonomic reasons.

Why the purchase - ergonomics, budget and an extremely good deal that was too good to pass up. Further, I don't use the monitor for anything other than work (RDP connection, Word, Mail).

MJCK

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015
I have a 2014 MB Air, and I am trying to hook it up to an LG 29UM57, which only offer HDMI connections.
Perhaps not surprisingly to the members of this forum, I can't get better than 1920x1080 resolution.
Somewhat surprisingly to me, when I boot up Windows 7 from my Bootcamp partition, I get the full resolution
of the monitor, 2560x1080.
So its not a hardware issue. It's a MacOS driver issue, but I have not been able to solve that.
Any suggestions? It being a weekend day, LG support is not available, but any ideas would be appreciated.

zBritva

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
I have a 2014 MB Air, and I am trying to hook it up to an LG 29UM57, which only offer HDMI connections.
Perhaps not surprisingly to the members of this forum, I can't get better than 1920x1080 resolution.
Somewhat surprisingly to me, when I boot up Windows 7 from my Bootcamp partition, I get the full resolution
of the monitor, 2560x1080.
So its not a hardware issue. It's a MacOS driver issue, but I have not been able to solve that.
Any suggestions? It being a weekend day, LG support is not available, but any ideas would be appreciated.

If my answer is not late:

I bought LG 29UM57 also
I used MDP > HDMI cable:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00Z9QE7OU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
with custom resolution. How to set custom resolution you can see here:

And I got required resolution 2560x1080
But I have another problem: back lines in bottom and top in wide mode of ratio and black lines in all sides in original mode of ratio:

P_20151016_012106.jpg

Gosinga

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
[QUOTE="…
UPDATE: Since the 29 inch monitor was $500, plus I had to buy a $125 worth of cables to go with it, I decided to return it and get an LG Ultrawide 34" 95. It was $999. But it is 4K and works perfectly with Retina MBP. It also has Thunderbolt. So, if you want to spend $500 on the 29", you need the Dual-Link cables as mentioned. This 34" Ultrawide 4k monitor is SWEET!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi - can you suggest me a widescreen monitor for my old MacBook Pro (early 2011)? Can I use any widescreen with thunderbolt? Thanks and greetings from Vienna, Austrai. Gunther

ashwinshetty

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Hi I recently purchased the LG 25UM58 ultrawide monitor with a 2560 x 1080 resolution and unsuccessfully tried connecting it to my mid-2012 13" macbook pro with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800. What adapters/cables do I need to firstly make them compatible and secondly avoid the stretching (which btw also happened when I plugged my PS4 into the monitor)? Thanks in advance!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi I recently purchased the LG 25UM58 ultrawide monitor with a 2560 x 1080 resolution and unsuccessfully tried connecting it to my mid-2012 13" macbook pro with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800. What adapters/cables do I need to firstly make them compatible and secondly avoid the stretching (which btw also happened when I plugged my PS4 into the monitor)? Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you have mirroring turned on. You would do that if you want the external display to have the same image as the internal display (mirrored)
That ALSO means that you would have the same resolution appearing on both displays --- 1280 x 800, which is the native resolution for the MBPro display.

You have to turn mirroring OFF to use a different resolution on the LG ultrawide:
Go to the Displays pref pane, then the Arrangement tab. Uncheck the box "mirror displays" - or whatever that box says.
That will give you an extended desktop on both displays. The Displays pane will allow you to set the display settings for each display independently, so change the display settings to what you like.
Best cable? Get a one piece mini displayport to HDMI cable - such as this. Get the length that you like.

Can't help much with connection to a PS4. That must be in the PS4 settings somewhere, or the PS4 doesn't support that 2560 X 1080 resolution, or it is another symptom that your present HDMI cable that doesn't fully support HDMI 2.0 or higher, which is what the LG ultrawide would need
I do see that a standard PS4 doesn't support more than 1080P, so your ultrawide display would looked stretched. Nothing that you can do about that, except upgrade to a PS4 Pro. Again, make sure your HDMI cable supports HDMI 2.0 or higher.

Last edited:

ashwinshetty

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Sounds like you have mirroring turned on. You would do that if you want the external display to have the same image as the internal display (mirrored)
That ALSO means that you would have the same resolution appearing on both displays --- 1280 x 800, which is the native resolution for the MBPro display.

You have to turn mirroring OFF to use a different resolution on the LG ultrawide:
Go to the Displays pref pane, then the Arrangement tab. Uncheck the box "mirror displays" - or whatever that box says.
That will give you an extended desktop on both displays. The Displays pane will allow you to set the display settings for each display independently, so change the display settings to what you like.
Best cable? Get a one piece mini displayport to HDMI cable - such as this. Get the length that you like.

Can't help much with connection to a PS4. That must be in the PS4 settings somewhere, or the PS4 doesn't support that 2560 X 1080 resolution, or it is another symptom that your present HDMI cable that doesn't fully support HDMI 2.0 or higher, which is what the LG ultrawide would need
I do see that a standard PS4 doesn't support more than 1080P, so your ultrawide display would looked stretched. Nothing that you can do about that, except upgrade to a PS4 Pro. Again, make sure your HDMI cable supports HDMI 2.0 or higher.

Ok so very strange things happening here. I turned mirroring off like you suggested and my macbook detected my monitor immediately. But it just mirrored my screen (which is what I wanted anyway, so I didn't mind it) and did not give me an extended display. But then the detection was super inconsistent. Sometimes when I'd put my machine to sleep and wake it, my macbook would not automatically detect the monitor. I'd have to use the detect display option in display settings to fix that. Next I installed the on screen control software from the LG website, and my macbook restarted to complete the installation. Now it just refuses to detect the monitor. Even the detect monitor options stopped helping. Tried deleting the software, plugging/unplugging cables, sleep/wake, turning off mirroring, but nothing works. I installed the software yesterday as well and that's when the problem started initially. You think this is a software issue? Or is my mid-2012 1280x800 macbook just incompatible with the 25UM58? The latter can't be I think because it worked for a while, though inconsistently. Please help! I'll take anything at the moment.

SnapMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Ok so very strange things happening here. I turned mirroring off like you suggested and my macbook detected my monitor immediately. But it just mirrored my screen (which is what I wanted anyway, so I didn't mind it) and did not give me an extended display. But then the detection was super inconsistent. Sometimes when I'd put my machine to sleep and wake it, my macbook would not automatically detect the monitor. I'd have to use the detect display option in display settings to fix that. Next I installed the on screen control software from the LG website, and my macbook restarted to complete the installation. Now it just refuses to detect the monitor. Even the detect monitor options stopped helping. Tried deleting the software, plugging/unplugging cables, sleep/wake, turning off mirroring, but nothing works. I installed the software yesterday as well and that's when the problem started initially. You think this is a software issue? Or is my mid-2012 1280x800 macbook just incompatible with the 25UM58? The latter can't be I think because it worked for a while, though inconsistently. Please help! I'll take anything at the moment.

@ashwinshetty Did you manage to figure this out. I bought the same model, but 29". LG software was installed have displayport cable and everything worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden my Macbook simply stopped recognize my screen as a 29" and instead see's it as a 34". No software update prior not change in hardware. It just stopped working.

ashwinshetty

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
@ashwinshetty Did you manage to figure this out. I bought the same model, but 29". LG software was installed have displayport cable and everything worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden my Macbook simply stopped recognize my screen as a 29" and instead see's it as a 34". No software update prior not change in hardware. It just stopped working.

Nope. No luck. I just returned the monitor. I am planning to upgrade my macbook soon, so I'll just buy a new monitor then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.