Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurnerMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Hi,

Is there any way to activate the Apple TV apps that require a TV Provider account.

I found this on eBay and wanted to know if it will work outside the US (I have a dns4me subscription)

Thanks!
Martin

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Don't buy that. Most of those channels require re-authorization every time the AppleTV reboots. You would have to pay $10 for every channel, every time you reboot the AppleTV.

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Most of those channels require re-authorization every time the AppleTV reboots. You would have to pay $10 for every channel, every time you reboot the AppleTV.

100% incorrect.

You do NOT activate the channels everytime you reboot..

Sometimes if there is a ATV software update you may need to reactivate, but otherwise once its done, its done.

(having said that, I personally wouldnt be paying $10 for it... but up to you if you feel it's value for you)..

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
100% incorrect.

You do NOT activate the channels everytime you reboot..

Sometimes if there is a ATV software update you may need to reactivate, but otherwise once its done, its done.

(having said that, I personally wouldnt be paying $10 for it... but up to you if you feel it's value for you)..

Oh really? Hundreds of posts on this forum say otherwise, and personal experience, says otherwise.

A few channels, mostly web channels, stay logged in persistently. Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, MLB.tv are the ones I use that stay persistently logged-in.

Most of the channels that require a cable provider activation, such as the ones OP asked about, do not stay persistently logged in. ABC, CBS, FOX, History, Lifetime, etc.

Go ahead, go activate the ABC app with your cable tv account. Then reboot the AppleTV. Then try to use the ABC app. I'll wait.

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Oh really? Hundreds of posts on this forum say otherwise, and personal experience, says otherwise.

I haven't seen these 'hundreds of posts' but I have been using an ATV for years, and you ONLY activate with my Verizon details once.

The only time this changes is when there is a software and/or channel update.

Likewise for the other 3 ATVs in my household.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ

A few channels, mostly web channels, stay logged in persistently. Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, MLB.tv are the ones I use that stay persistently logged-in.

Most of the channels that require a cable provider activation, such as the ones OP asked about, do not stay persistently logged in. ABC, CBS, FOX, History, Lifetime, etc.

Go ahead, go activate the ABC app with your cable tv account. Then reboot the AppleTV. Then try to use the ABC app. I'll wait.

You do not need to login to the apps every time you reboot

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

You do not need to authenticate channels every time after a reboot. If you don't use the channel for an extended period of time, then you might have to. But not always.

----------

Hi,

Is there any way to activate the Apple TV apps that require a TV Provider account.

I found this on eBay and wanted to know if it will work outside the US (I have a dns4me subscription)

Thanks!
Martin

Do you have family or friends in the U.S. that can "lend" you their pay TV login?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I haven't seen these 'hundreds of posts' but I have been using an ATV for years, and you ONLY activate with my Verizon details once.

The only time this changes is when there is a software and/or channel update.

Likewise for the other 3 ATVs in my household.
I assume your ATV is connected to the Internet via your Verizon service? Then that may be the difference. Some of the providers check if the user's IP address is within their own IP range. If you try to access the content from another address range (i.e. different provider or outside of the country) they will ask for the password every time.

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
If you try to access the content from another address range (i.e. different provider or outside of the country) they will ask for the password every time.

Incorrect.

I am in Australia, you do NOT input your password all the time. You do it once, and once only.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Incorrect.

I am in Australia, you do NOT input your password all the time. You do it once, and once only.

It would be helpful if you and others here listed the apps being refered to. For Netflix, I agree it's once and only once. For ABC and History Channel, the ones I watch often, I have to reauthorize after every reboot (which isn't super often, going on a few months without a reboot now).

TurnerMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Do you have family or friends in the U.S. that can "lend" you their pay TV login?

Nope haha.

I've been trying out Hulu + and past episodes at the ABC app so I haven't tried out the "eBay Link" haha.

At some point I will risk myself with 10 bucks, its not a biiiig deeaaaal. And then we could discuss if they ask for reauthorization or not haha.

Thanks all!

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Nope haha.

I've been trying out Hulu + and past episodes at the ABC app so I haven't tried out the "eBay Link" haha.

At some point I will risk myself with 10 bucks, its not a biiiig deeaaaal. And then we could discuss if they ask for reauthorization or not haha.

Thanks all!

Get some U.S. Friends maybe???? Dunno.....

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
It would be helpful if you and others here listed the apps being refered to. For Netflix, I agree it's once and only once. For ABC and History Channel, the ones I watch often, I have to reauthorize after every reboot (which isn't super often, going on a few months without a reboot now).
I've stayed logged into ABC, Fox, FX Now after reboots. I've only had to reauth after an update or in the case of FX after not using it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.