Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I'm thinking of getting the new Macbook for work - but a bit concerned about USB-C.

My concerns are valid, I think.

In my job, I am often doing product demos/user onboarding sessions in which I always plug my laptop to a TV, projector, etc etc. It seems that every company I visit has a different setup using either VGA, DVI, HDMI, or something else entirely.

I am currently using a retina Macbook Pro and I have three cables - the mini display port to DVI, to HDMI, to VGA. Since these cables will now be useless given the USB-C port on the new macbook, what would I use to connect to the DVI, VGA, HDMI for my meetings?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple has adapters for VGA and HDMI. The HDMI adapter should also work with HDMI-to-DVI and HDMI-to-mDP adapters (but not HDMI-to-VGA). Google and Monoprice sell adapters for USB-C to HDMI and mDP, as well.

There are some kick-starter projects for hubs that include mDP (and also an mDP to HDMI adapter).

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I'd probably just carry Apple TV, HDMI cable and VGA adapter for Apple TV with me.

I guess thats more convenient than buying dongless for the MacBook itself.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
So sounds like I should buy the two apple adapters for HDMI and VGA, then purchase an HDMI male to DVI female?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
So sounds like I should buy the two apple adapters for HDMI and VGA, then purchase an HDMI male to DVI female?

If the cables aren't there already, then yes.

You either need separate single-purpose adapters or a hub, of which there are a few on the horizon. Make sure you get a USB-C to USB as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.