Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Plugable just launched their Kickstarter campaign for a USB-C dock that support 3 display at the same time.
Go quick to secure a super early backer spot (79$ instead of 179$!)

Last edited:

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
OK, this is the first decent one I think has shown up on kickstarter. The company has a track record of previous device releases, it has a mix of both USB-A and -C ports, ethernet built in, and it provides its own power source.

It's nowhere near as pretty or portable as the Hub+, but it seems far lower risk and more functional.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have had good results with Plugable and good service. I pledged this one and also let the Hub+ in place.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Wow, that looks exceptionally great for those who really need it. It has absolutely everything, and takes advantage of all the new technologies the MB has to offer. Also love how they do a feature comparison with the Hydradock and Hub+. Its just WAY too overkill for me. I just want an ultra portable mini-hub the fits in my ultra portable MB's case/bag, like the KADi port:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714748206/the-kadi-port-a-macbook-essential

I think out of these four the KADi is the best for portability and this Plugable stationary dock is the best for a desktop dock. If I had need for a robust desktop dock in addition to the portable mini-hub, I would definitely be backing this. It will easily reach its funding goal.

For me, the Hub+ is sort of a 'tweener and the Hydradock is just bad.

Plugable

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Hello from Plugable!

Howdy guys, long time listener lurker, first time caller poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for your interest and the kind words regarding our upcoming dock on Kickstarter! We're very excited, and hope a good chunk of the Mac community will be as well.

Also, appreciate the mention of our track record regarding delivering on our promises in the past and providing quality service when needed - we love getting feedback letting us know we're on the right track.

Cheers,
Gary
Plugable Technologies

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Howdy guys, long time listener lurker, first time caller poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for your interest and the kind words regarding our upcoming dock on Kickstarter! We're very excited, and hope a good chunk of the Mac community will be as well.

Also, appreciate the mention of our track record regarding delivering on our promises in the past and providing quality service when needed - we love getting feedback letting us know we're on the right track.

Cheers,
Gary
Plugable Technologies

30$ for France shipping is a lot...
Do you plan on getting stretch goals?
Thanks

bernieplug

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
Plugable Kickstarter - France Shipping Costs and Stretch Goals

30$ for France shipping is a lot...
Do you plan on getting stretch goals?
Thanks

Yea, unfortunately there's no cheap way to do it with tracking. It's actually closer to $40-50, we eat a part of it. For France, we used Amazon's FBA network for our successful Pro8 docking station Kickstarter last year. When we use FBA, we import the goods to the EU ourselves and have to pay VAT (~20%), then ship from Amazon warehouse to you. If we ship individual orders direct from USA, we can leave VAT up to you, but shipping cost is much higher. So both options work out to be that much.

We're definitely planning stretch goals as things get closer to funded. There are a lot of accessories we can offer. See our previous Pro8 Kickstarter if you're curious about the kind of things we might do.

Thanks for your original mention of us here, and please let me know if anyone has any questions at all about the Plugable Ultimate USB-C Dock in the Kickstarter -- it's been a challenge finding the right set of specs and components to deliver on them, but we're really excited that we're able to offer a better alternative than what's out there now.

Thanks!
Bernie

Last edited:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
This looks nice, for sure. The Hub+ is more my style, though. I hate the USB DisplayLink adaptors. There's always lag, and every time there's an OS update, there seem to be driver issues with them. Plus, how many people actually really want to run 3 displays from their rMB? If someone says "I do" well then you should definitely back this Kickstarter! But I don't think most do.

It has its own power source. I understand the benefits of this, but for me, I'd rather utilize the USB-C power passthrough.

All in all, I agree with the comments that this will likely be a high quality dock, as the company has a history of delivering good products. Furthermore, the fact that it has its own 60W power supply, the displaylink adaptors, etc, makes me think that this will be broadly compatible with other laptops out there other than the MacBook.

So yeah - looks like a quality product - not the product for me though.

a2daj

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
I'm torn whether or not to get the Plugable USB-C dock. I already have a Plugable UD-3900 USB 3.0 dock connected to my new 12" rMB. I guess I could sell my Apple multiport adapter and the old dock. I like having the flexibility of plugging my dock into my other computers I have. With the USB-C dock I'd need another adapter. At least the adapter would be cheaper than the multiport adapter. But I have a long wait until the USB-C dock comes out so there's plenty of time to ponder.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Guys don't hesitate to back this project: The company has delivered a lot of other dock so no scam, it's the only one including everything even the power supply, and you can plus 3 screens !
Plus it will work with Thunderbold 3 ports!
We need your support !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.