Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezok

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Haha. Beautiful dogs! I wish I could say the battery lasts forever and it's not an issue but it's not the case.

No such thing as magic! I have mine to the side of the living area so I'm safe - and I also have a friend with two WM's he has an iMac for this reason - he remains jealous ;)

Dogs vs computer, I understand has to be the beautiful grey animals. At least I have a space grey machine!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Here is the thing, a second port would solve this issue.

It takes less force to pull the USB plus straight out of the MacBook than it does a MagSafe, but at an angle the MagSafe wins. I frequently sit where the outlet is on the right side of my MBP, if there were a port on the right side of the MB as well I could always be assured that the cable would pull straight out.

rezok

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Agreed - it's not ideal. But not a deal breaker because once you've held it, used it and owned it, you forget it. :)

Jezak

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
I just made it mine after selling my Retina iMac. I wanted one machine only.

I didn't think I could do it at first but after a few weeks of use it fits me perfectly (coding, video watching, office apps, 15 or so Safari tabs, general use). I purchased a 27 inch monitor when I want more screen space but often find myself not pairing it at all.

I thought I'd miss the iMac, but I am happy after I realized I was using the iMac for not much more than the above.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
It's going to be a while for me. My main problem would be storage. I need a minimum 2.5 tb for all my music and photo storage. Once ssds are that size, and affordable I will be able to consolidate. For now I will keep my Imac as a hub.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
:rolleyes:

Right after a web developer posts and says he loves it as his only machine.

because a web developer loves it then it's perfect for everyone?

it doesn't take a software engineer (myself) to know that this machine is underpower and isn't for everyone (in fact, it's not for most people as primary computer)

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
because a web developer loves it then it's perfect for everyone?

it doesn't take a software engineer (myself) to know that this machine is underpower and isn't for everyone (in fact, it's not for most people as primary computer)

But us software engineers (an electrical engineers) do realize the advantage of its portability. I value that more than power.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
But us software engineers (an electrical engineers) do realize the advantage of its portability. I value that more than power.

obviously i value portability, however there are just too many compromises to recommend this to anyone as primary.

whitestar27

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
New Zealand
This is my only machine, replaces a 2011 Mac Mini. I absolutely love it, it seems faster than my old machine somehow, and I don't give a rats about only having a single port now all my stuff lives on the cloud. I adore the trackpad and am neutral to positive about the keyboard.

I use it for photo editing, web browsing, text editing, and shortly will be using Xcode on it as I learn to code. So far the most heavy duty thing I have used it for is DxO Optics Pro 10, for my photo editing. DxO is a pig at the best of times and made the fan on my Mini run like a hurricane, but on this machine it seems to work at least as quick, perhaps a shade faster, and no annoying fans to listen to.

Somehow I registered on here in 2012 but this is my first post. Hmmmm...

Cheers

Chris

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
obviously i value portability, however there are just too many compromises to recommend this to anyone as primary.

Like what compromises?

Almost everything can be done wirelessly and it's 100% more elegant and convinient than plugging in stuff.

Keyboard and trackpad of the new MacBook are great and leap forward in technology. I don't see compromise here.

It's fanless and the processor is probably more powerful than your desktop PC's CPU 5-10 years ago. Core M is capble of doing like 95% of the things people do in professional fields. It's fast enough. So no compromise here.

Where you see compromise exactly?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
It's going to be a while for me. My main problem would be storage. I need a minimum 2.5 tb for all my music and photo storage. Once ssds are that size, and affordable I will be able to consolidate. For now I will keep my Imac as a hub.

Or you could use something like a NAS for your photos and iTunes and video and music libraries?

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

For me it is just fine and there are many people who feel the same way.

I could recommend it to many people.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
It is mine already. I haven't even touched my imac since the macbook showed up. Business work, entertainment, watching videos and tv, everything.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Call me absolutely out of my mind but I was considering selling my 15" quad core i7 rMBP for the gold rMB. Then I rationalized the thought and didn't do it. Really want one though. People complain about the lack of ports but that really is where we are going. I like how it only has the microphone jack and the usb-c port. One port for everything...really like the ambition.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I had the same reservations - solved the SD problem very easily (I upload photos once in a while) and the speed, well for me it's fine for general use.

Power users or gamers might need to wait on....but they don't know what they're missing ;)

The SD card slot would be a necessary "add" for me. I use my MBA when traveling and use the SD slot to transfer photos from my Nikon. Without the SD card slot, there would be no way to do that while traveling, on vacation, etc.

lo100469

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Brussels
I use a wifi SD card from Eyefi to load the pictures from my Nikon D90.
It works great on JPEG, but will be a bit slow if you shoot RAW...

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
My 1.2/512 Gold MacBook is already my main machine just a few days into owning it. That was my intention from the beginning. Not only that, but it is my first Macintosh computer ever. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. The only "lag" I experienced was with the order, but after the agonizingly long wait it has already exceeded my expectations.

I was mildly concerned about the keyboard, but trying it out a few times in the Apple store on those awkward height tables while standing is not really a fair test. On my desk/lap at normal height and distance it is quite comfortable. And the trackpad is awesome, especially as I discover all the nifty gesture tricks. CPU wise it has handled everything I've thrown at it so far just fine. The single port isn't a concern of mine, I've long since moved to completely wireless.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably state that by "main machine" I mean for personal use. This includes all the usual communications (e-mail, web, messaging, Skype), calendar, some photo and video editing, GarageBand, lightweight coding (mostly Python and Ruby) and creating writing. Plus dorking around a little in Virtualization. I installed Bodhi Linux last night in VirtualBox and that's running very smoothly. Installation was a little slow, but the VM runs just great. I do have plenty of horsepower for other tasks (Lenovo T430 for work, ASUS quad core tower PC for a media/file server, PS4+PS3x2 for gaming, NAS device, iPad, multi-port USB SD card reader for those rare occasions when I need it on the other systems, etc), and my wife has an iMac. But for me, main means the system that is in front of me most of the time. I consume services from the other systems as needed, but the MacBook is the one that I am looking at and typing on the most. And it is wonderful for that. It is very easy to pick up and use anywhere around the house, at the coffee shop, or taking to appointments where I need to take notes (even more portable than my iPad and keyboard/case).

The MacBook is a purpose built computer. Bigger/faster/heavier doesn't always equal better. I think of all the people who buy a gas guzzling SUV or pickup truck for that reason, but all they load it up with is a few kids to take to lacrosse practice or a load of groceries. If you're hauling a boat or a load of landscaping materials, you need the carrying capacity and torque from the larger vehicle. But for carrying passengers and household items, a subcompact sedan or hybrid will do just fine, is more maneuverable in traffic, is easier to park, and uses far less energy. I have a big old ugly van for those occasions when I need to haul stuff, but the vast majority of the time prefer to drive our stylish little subcompact sedan. The sedan is also nicely appointed with upgraded leather seats, stereo and moon roof. Much like the MacBook is a slick little roadster vs a typical corporate workhorse laptop that looks more like a dirty old delivery truck. For me, it is the perfect main computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.