Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Lately I've seen a lot more crashes to the Apple logo on both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2. What's odd is that a crash on one appears to trigger a crash on the other.

For example, about 15 minutes ago, my iPhone started getting sluggish while it downloaded app updates. It would freeze for up to 10 seconds while doing things. It seemed to recover, but then crashed to the Apple logo. My iPad then crashed to the logo about 20 seconds later.

This is the 3rd crash on my iPhone in 2 weeks (2nd in a few days) and the second on my iPad in a few weeks.

It seems to be caused by processes locking up. Usually it seems to be the Mail app, but in this case it wasn't.

I had no Apple logo crashes under iOS 8.2. Anyone else noticing more Apple logo crashes in iOS 8.3?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lately I've seen a lot more crashes to the Apple logo on both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air 2. What's odd is that a crash on one appears to trigger a crash on the other.

For example, about 15 minutes ago, my iPhone started getting sluggish while it downloaded app updates. It would freeze for up to 10 seconds while doing things. It seemed to recover, but then crashed to the Apple logo. My iPad then crashed to the logo about 20 seconds later.

This is the 3rd crash on my iPhone in 2 weeks (2nd in a few days) and the second on my iPad in a few weeks.

It seems to be caused by processes locking up. Usually it seems to be the Mail app, but in this case it wasn't.

I had no Apple logo crashes under iOS 8.2. Anyone else noticing more Apple logo crashes in iOS 8.3?

On a 5s 8.1.3 is fairly good. I have a sticky keyboard issue some diagnostics, but that's about it.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

Only one crash on my iPad rMini, but sluggish. I'm thinking about wiping it clean, but I'm lazy and like my setup. This tablet has always been zippy up till the latest update. I actually did a full backup last night in prep for the wipe.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
i'm not alone about this.. happened both on my mini 2 retina and 5s

specially that happens after updating big sized apps (80-110 mb) one drive,one note, skype are the suspicious apps for me now.

don't play with your idevice until updating progress finishes.There may be some memory management issues with 8.3 and unfortunately 8.4 beta 2 did the same issue. don't know about beta 3..already sent a bug report about it..hope they'll fix it in 8.4

and i took a backup and did a DFU restore..put on my backup back but NOT syncronized apps back to device..downloaded manually on the app store again.. try this and maybe it can solve that issue..my devices are flawless since 1 week.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I've got the exact same issue. As soon as I start updating my apps in the App Store, within 1-2 minutes springboard crashes to the lock screen after the apple logo appears.

I *think* it might be caused by the apple watch apps installing...it seems to be apps that have apple watch apps as well. That might explain why it surfaced in 8.3 since the watch started with 8.3.

Do you happen to have an apple watch?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Happens to me and I don't have an Apple Watch.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
looks like an integration issue on Apple Watch for 8.3 and 8.4 beta 3 as well..and i hope there will be much stability for Apple Watch integration on 8.4 final release.

we have to wait 2 more weeks until 8.4 release

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I've been in contact with Apple's bug report team about this and they don't seem to have any idea why it's happening. It doesn't help that apparently the crash doesn't appear to be being logged, which makes me think that the issue is the device running out of memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.