Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
I bought this case on launch. After a few weeks, the charging door stopped latching. After a long back and forth (the picture requirements are just silly and they can never read their own serial numbers), they sent me a new case as slow as possible. I was without a case for over a week and a half.

Today, this replacement case charge door broke in the same exact spot. Almost the identical length of time of use. I am not hard on my phone. It wasn't due to a drop or anything. just opening and closing this door for charging is enough to weaken and break the latching tab.

I dread not having a waterpoof case for 2 weeks during the summer while I wait again for another replacement to process.

This is all very unfortunate because I really do love this case. The waterproofing allows me to use it in shower, hot tub, lake floating, creek, etc. without worry of destroying the phone.

blue-bear

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
#straya
I have the black nuud case and just submitted my second claim. They told me the black case was backordered so I asked if they would change it to the white one since it was in stock. Within minutes I had a shipping confirmation email for the white case.

Just an FYI if you have the black case but wanted the white one.

i ended up returning the lifeproof case back to the store i bought it from and they had no hestitation in taking it back and said its mass manufactured so these problems are a given, so i instead picked up the apple leather case!

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Just bough this case for job specific reasons and so far do not have any issues that are described in this thread.

It seems that the people who are using this as their only/primary case are experiencing the problems sooner, but that everyone? eventually has the problem with the charger door latch breaking. I only use my LifeProof when I go on vacation, or to the pool/hot tub, so I expect it to last a lot longer than one that is having the charger door opened at least once a day.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
The RMA process was a lot less painful this time around (it might be because i have practice!), but looks like i will be without a functional case for another month:

Unfortunately, your replacement is temporarily on backorder. We will send your replacement on its way as soon as we receive more in stock. Please allow three to four weeks for your order to arrive. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I guess I will just throw it into one of my waterproof bags during our summer lake floats, but the whole point of this $80 case was to avoid it.

The charge door is the biggest weakness of the case. It can apparently withstand a lot of trauma, with the exception of opening tiny door for charging about 30-60 times.

Mkuzmenko

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
This case is not a good buy at all. I'm on my 3rd attempt and the sound issues remain. Also, the clear backing of the case gets scratched up very quickly, which makes the case look awful.

The big issue that I would caution everyone on is the area where the case's Touch ID membrane makes contact with the iPhone's glass screen. It appears to "eat away" or make marks at the olephobic coating like the otterbox defender does.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Well my case ruined the phone
I was in the pool for 5 minutes with my daughter and the phone was in my pocket...took it out and took 15 pictures, after that i saw the rear camera filling up with water....never had this issue on my nuud case and my iphone 5s.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I'm leaving for Greece soon and wanted to pick this up as i've had success with the same version for my 5s. Having read all the crap reviews I've resorted to ordering one of those ugly waterproof pouches on amazon. Not the best solution but at least I'll be able to take my phone with me to the beach and have it be safe.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Version 2 (Iteration 2) Newer Design

iPhone 6 Plus Nüüd ordered via LifeProof.com

I believe my case is version 2 (iteration 2 - newer design) because it has "V2" literals as part of the product description on the order confirmation email, shipping confirmation email, and packing list. Besides the original iPhone lightning cable, I can also use my Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter (0.2 m) and this proves the charger door port enlarged and the two tabs on the charger door port redesigned.

Since it's a waterproof case, it loses volume for voice (on speaker) and music and its Sound Enhancement System lets you bump your beats at full volume. This is why the back cover vibrates as I can hear music (phone only) under water in the swimming pool.

For issues like people can’t hear you (muffled) or you sound like you are in a tunnel, I think it is user's error on installation since the user’s manual does not mention the following install technique. You don't need to change phone settings such as noise cancellation, etc. I install the phone BOTTOM first at 45° (front cover), and check the foam materials for microphone and speaker ports inside are not being folded or “rolled over” when the phone is seated. I’ve been using this installation technique for all phones and people can hear me without problems. Also no problems with Control Center (swipe up), Notifications (swipe down), buttons, and Touch ID…

I've been using the case for few days and no scratches on back cover yet since I put the phone in my front pocket (no other objects such as keys or coins). Also there is an elevated gap between the back cover and flat surface (see my attached pic). It's no big deal for me if back cover has minor scratches.

The case does comes with a headphone adapter and an optional screen protector. AAA++
I don’t use the optional screen protector, what’s the point of being Nüüd!!

Attachments

• IMG7164.JPG
    IMG7164.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 633

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Do you have the photo of the new charge part door piece?

I do but first.....

Please take a photo of the "old" charge part door piece SIDE-VIEW closeup (opened position).

please take a photo of UPC code from your LifeProof package box.
-OR-
please advise the number located on the bottom right of UPC code.

for example 77-51145 is located on the bottom left of UPC code where denotes iPhone 6 Plus Nüüd in Black.

I need the info for my own reference. I don't work for LP or Otter.

Thank you!

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I do but first.....

Please take a photo of the "old" charge part door piece SIDE-VIEW closeup (opened position).

please take a photo of UPC code from your LifeProof package box.
-OR-
please advise the number located on the bottom right of UPC code.

for example 77-51145 is located on the bottom left of UPC code where denotes iPhone 6 Plus Nüüd in Black.

I need the info for my own reference. I don't work for LP or Otter.

Thank you!

The number 77-51145 came from your box??

If so the number on the older ones are 77-50364

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
I had the iPhone 6 Nuud not the 6 plus but his is the code from my girlfriends packaging along with clasp photos.

65db58879535049b7a9355acff4d2023.jpg
abbeeacf78eeac3c98ad9af799e096c6.jpg
b678ab4468db0365eb693e82fcd5f69e.jpg

Last edited:

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
I can't really tell the difference, but version 2 charge port door piece (attached). It fits "tighter"? Perhaps it looks the same compared against the "old" charge door piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 608

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
One person has the nuüd for the 6 and one has the 6 plus. I wanna say that there are different build quality on these because majority of the complaints are from the 6 plus version. Not the 6.

We need someone with a 6 plus to chime in

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Here's one that I found on Best Buy's site. But it like old like the clips are broken already.
But looking at the "v2" pic, it does look like they reinforced that part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 882

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
iPhone 6 Plus Nüüd (V2) - attached pic is my Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter (0.2 m), this proves the charger door port enlarged.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 561

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Yes. Also on LP website, order/shipping email, and packing list.

Please advise the number/special characters/letters located on the bottom right of UPC symbol.

Thank you!

Yeah.....I haven't bought this case because of all the problems.
I got this info from their website

MMerciless

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
LifeProof iPhone 6 Plus Case - nüüd: Quick Review and a Look at V1 vs. V2
I pre-ordered a LifeProof iPhone 6 Plus case back from September of last year, and waited 6 months, till the end of February of this year to ship. I originally would have preferred a frē, believing it offer better protection, but came to like the nüüd more as it offers access to the native display, without contending with bubbles or the sheen that comes from using a traditional case with built in screen protector, yet it doesn't compromise the drop and shock protection to MIL 810G-516.6 and IP-68 immersion standards which allows me to use it in the field without hesitation, for instance to digiscope through a Leupold Mark 4.

It is perhaps the most compact waterproof case on the market today for the iPhone 6 Plus, without significantly hindering function with Touch ID, and access to exterior controls. The Touch ID performance isn't as seamless as without the case, especially if the device or your hand is wet, but it works majority of the time. I found placing the phone on speaker would actually amplify sound more so than without the case as the back functions as a diaphragm.

However, calls were muffled, and I often had to cup the phone microphone or shout in order for those on the end of the line to hear me.
It was a compromise I was willing to deal with, for the drop and protection from the elements, as I seldom use the phone for calls. But after less than a month of use, I noticed the left side of the charging door/port assembly wouldn't seal flush with the body of the case. Upon closer inspection I found the left retaining tab developed a hairline crack and was no longer sealing properly against the green rubber gasket on the flapper, and eventually broke off as shown below.

I submitted a claim to LifeProof which was promptly processed within the following day, but unfortunately a replacement case wouldn't be shipped until May, 2 months after the original warranty request. Because of the unusually long delay I purchased a second case at a local Bestbuy, and figured I'd keep the eventual replacement from LifeProof as a spare. There were rumors that the delay was a result of a redesign for improved call performance, and charging door. Indeed, call performance was improved, the membrane that seals the top ear speaker and microphone below was changed. Preordered cases featured a white membrane, the replacement one was grey. Disappointingly however the battery door remained unchanged.

Unfortunately, the 2nd case I purchased out of my own pocket, also failed within a month of use. Same failure mode of the charging door retention tab as before, and I submitted a second claim just recently. The new case, is labeled V2, and the inner diameter of the charging port has been enlarged to accept third party chargers that are slightly larger than the Apple. However the retention mechanism remains relatively the same. When I submitted the first claim, I made a note to forward my message to the design engineers, to at least ensure that the plastic used was use virgin non-recycled plastic to ensure homogeneous material strength. I can't tell if the material has been changed, but did notice indexing notches on the case side that interface with the small lip on the charging door flapper tabs, and a slightly overcut channel below the tabs perhaps to offer greater tolerance to mitigate pre-loading of the tabs for variance in manufacturing.

I hope this will resolve the issue with tabs.

Note, the old case and box are on top, the new case and box are on bottom, confirming previous posts that the UPC code 77-50364 (old) v. 77-51145 (new) for LifeProof iPhone 6 Plus nüüd cases.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010

Note, the old case and box are on top, the new case and box are on bottom, confirming previous posts that the UPC code 77-50364 (old) v. 77-51145 (new) for LifeProof iPhone 6 Plus nüüd cases.

Thank you for the excellent close-up & side-view pics!
For the new V2 box, I have the same UPC barcode numbers scheme including lower left (77-51145) and lower right (20-50494).

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
One person has the nuüd for the 6 and one has the 6 plus. I wanna say that there are different build quality on these because majority of the complaints are from the 6 plus version. Not the 6.

We need someone with a 6 plus to chime in
Yes I wonder if any 6 users also encounter the same problems as 6+

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
On my day #12 usage with iPhone 6 Plus Nüüd (V2), no problems with the "newer, tighter" charger port door. I've open and close the charger port door at least 3 to 6 times per day and been using under water.

I can re-create "muffled" sound problems or people can't hear me if I don't follow the install technique via post #109 of this thread.

If I encounter issues/problems, LifeProof's 12-month warranty is so easy via online. I said easy because I've submitted 4 different claims for different devices within the past year with no problems.

download "LP_image_upload_template.pdf" during the warranty claim process at http://www.lifeproof.com/en/contact/warranty/
(subsequent screen via the warranty claim process has the template.pdf link and upload functionality)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.