Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Also worth mentioning that the new battery is ~5% larger than the old one too! But great point about the SSD!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Super confused.

I just got my 2.5 GHz/m370x rMBP and ran compubench to compare the upgrade against the Air i have been using for 2+ years.

The results I got in compubench are for some reason nowhere near the results in the compubench database (this compares the new card to the 750m https://compubench.com/compare.jsp?...9+M370X&D2=NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+750M+Mac+Edition)

I am plugged in, automatic graphics switching was turned off, and nothing else was running.

Here are my results (in parenthesis are the ones in the compubench database for this GPU):

Face Detection: 5 Mpixels/s (24.4 Mpixels/s)
Optical Flow: 1.8 Mpixels/s (5.7 Mpixels/s)
Ocean: 85.2 frames/sec (510 frames/sec)
Particle: 41.3 Minteractions/sec (218 Minteractions/sec)
Video Composition: 2.2 frames/sec (36.7 frames/sec)
Bitcoin: 5.1 MHash/sec (126.4 MHash/sec)

Does anyone know why I'm getting such drastically different results?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Super confused.

I just got my 2.5 GHz/m370x rMBP and ran compubench to compare the upgrade against the Air i have been using for 2+ years.

The results I got in compubench are for some reason nowhere near the results in the compubench database (this compares the new card to the 750m https://compubench.com/compare.jsp?...9+M370X&D2=NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+750M+Mac+Edition)

I am plugged in, automatic graphics switching was turned off, and nothing else was running.

Here are my results (in parenthesis are the ones in the compubench database for this GPU):

A couple of possible issues: new machine indexing and other start-up housekeeping tasks by the OS; FV2 encryption (if you have it turned on).

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
A couple of possible issues: new machine indexing and other start-up housekeeping tasks by the OS; FV2 encryption (if you have it turned on).

Filevault is off. Definitely not indexing (everything was set up yesterday evening) and the computer was awake overnight and today while i was at work.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
Super confused.

Sounds like Iris Pro results..

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Do you think it will by much of an upgrade over my PowerBook (pics attached)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Do you think it will by much of an upgrade over my PowerBook (pics attached)

I'll say what I tell iPad 1st gen owners: If you're still doing fine a powerbook, stay on the powerbook. If you've lasted this long without app support/updates then you'll probably last forever. :p

Ccccyril

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2015
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M370X.142763.0.html
Here are some real world benchmarks

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
So I got win10 up and running and loaded steam and downloaded Max Payne then GTA V direct through rockstar and they ran very well. GTA V had to be put @ 1280x800 and normal setting but ran perfectly. Max Payne ran quite well at 1080p with high settings.

Beepings

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
I'm just going to throw out what my theory is on the 15" macbook pro situation.

I think that Apple is going to introduce a new redesign of the macbook pro sometime in Q4,15/Q1,16. For that redesign, they want to see massive performance gains in both graphics and processing power. They also realize that if they don't update the current macbook pro 15", then there will be massive backlash from the community. So they slap a dGPU in there with decent performance gains, but they also don't want a new CPU because of the cost.
The result? This 15" macbook pro with almost no other new features besides the R9 370X, and maybe, just maybe, Apple will introduce a more compact/more space efficient design within the next year.
Why? To give regular consumers and pro users the feel that there have been decent increases, but just enoguh so that they can wow everyone with the next macbook pro design.

I'm saying this as the guy who predicted apple would drop the 5c to free, the 5s to 99, and put the 6 + at 299.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm just going to throw out what my theory is on the 15" macbook pro situation.

I think that Apple is going to introduce a new redesign of the macbook pro sometime in Q4,15/Q1,16. For that redesign, they want to see massive performance gains in both graphics and processing power. They also realize that if they don't update the current macbook pro 15", then there will be massive backlash from the community. So they slap a dGPU in there with decent performance gains, but they also don't want a new CPU because of the cost.
The result? This 15" macbook pro with almost no other new features besides the R9 370X, and maybe, just maybe, Apple will introduce a more compact/more space efficient design within the next year.
Why? To give regular consumers and pro users the feel that there have been decent increases, but just enoguh so that they can wow everyone with the next macbook pro design.

I'm saying this as the guy who predicted apple would drop the 5c to free, the 5s to 99, and put the 6 + at 299.

this has been regurgitated on here a lot lately.

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
Move on. nothing to see here. Didn't realize that I should have gone to Test Select and actually selected the R9 card before starting the test. When I did that my test results match up with the ones posted online.

:)

I just ran the test on my new machine and got the same results you did. Once I ran the test off the dGPU my scores jumped up significantly. How are you liking the new Pro so far?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I just ran the test on my new machine and got the same results you did. Once I ran the test off the dGPU my scores jumped up significantly. How are you liking the new Pro so far?

Really liking it. I am coming from a 1.3 ghz MBA with 4 GB of ram. running Lightroom on it is an entirely different experience. Not much of a gamer so I can't comment on that but the machine is quiet, runs cool, the screen is phenomenal, and the new SSD makes everything feel significantly more responsive.

I haven't edited video on it yet but I am looking forward to that as well.

Reactions: abowlby

MacDevMike

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Discovery Bay, Ca
Really liking it. I am coming from a 1.3 ghz MBA with 4 GB of ram. running Lightroom on it is an entirely different experience. Not much of a gamer so I can't comment on that but the machine is quiet, runs cool, the screen is phenomenal, and the new SSD makes everything feel significantly more responsive.

I haven't edited video on it yet but I am looking forward to that as well.

You've gone from a really nice Miata convertible to a Ferrari 458 Spyder. Getting on the freeway is ALOT funner know eh? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.