Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthjgu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
When I turned on my Ipod it started counting down from six. After it finished counting down the screen turned green and the message "M25 Diagnostic 0.2 Completed" appeared. I can't turn off my Ipod and nothing happens when I connect it to the computer.

I've searched all over the web but can't seem to find a fix for this. Help?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I was just able to replicate this on my video. I reset the iPod and then held center and previous down during bootup. To exit this, just reset the iPod as I previously explained.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
This is actually a VERY useful menu. If you boot into diagnostics you can access MANY tests and come tests reveal capabilities of the iPod that are not used by the software. For example, you can use 50% backlight. Look around in there a little. If you get stuck, just reset the iPod and let it boot normally.

ArcTeryx

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
CoMpX said:
This is actually a VERY useful menu. If you boot into diagnostics you can access MANY tests and come tests reveal capabilities of the iPod that are not used by the software. For example, you can use 50% backlight. Look around in there a little. If you get stuck, just reset the iPod and let it boot normally.

Are you saying that there's a way to have brightness set to 50%?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
ArcTeryx said:
Are you saying that there's a way to have brightness set to 50%?

You cannot actually set the backlight to 50% to my knowledge but you can actually see the backlight at 50%, so there is that possibility. Apple just chooses not to take advantage of it in the iPod's software.

To see it, first reset the iPod by holding center and menu for ten seconds. Then as the iPod is rebooting, hold the rewind button and the center button until you hear a beep and the diagnostics menu comes up. Then, press menu for the manual test. The click wheel feels much less responsive in diagnostics mode BTW. One you are in the manual test menu, scroll to IO and select it. For it to register, you have to press the center button harder than you normally would. In the IO menu, go to Display and select it. Then select Backlight. Us the fast forward and rewind buttons to change the brightness of the backlight between 0%, 50%, and 100%.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Kingsly said:
Interesting... I liked the color test.
Anyone else notice the "please plug in FW" (as in Fire Wire) text in the accessories test menu?

Yes, I also noticed that. That was something else that I remember. Apparently, the iPod has fireWire support, it's just the software that does not take advantage of it. This opens up a whole new door for the iPod. I wonder if someone could hack the software to take advantage of these features?

I also enjoyed the color test ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.