Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
cbeyond said:
Here is what I have found out from Apple.

They referred me to the iTunes Policies. In the policy is a link for gifts and allowances which states "Gift Certificates, iTunes Music Cards, Song Codes and Allowances purchased in the U.S. must be redeemed through the U.S. iTunes Music Store, open only to persons above the age of 13 in the U.S."

Combine that with the iTunes "terms" document that states "The Service is currently available only in the United States, and is not available in any other location. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory, and that Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance."

There are no restrictions on use of the downloads in locations other than where they are purchased.

So you cannot legally download from iTunes in the US without physically being in the US. This would include accessing the US store while travelling.
Residency is NOT a requirement, just locality.

The same agreements are in force for all the other iTunes stores.

Way to technical, I see it this way.. If I buy a song from iTunes and copy it to my iPod then travel to another country with my iPod I don't care if it's legal or not in the eyes of whoever. The fact remains I legally purchased the song and did not steal it, no matter where I travel. And seriously, who is to know or care where you bought the song from? Who's business is it anyway, as long as your not trading or giving the songs away and taking money from Apple or the music industry. I would bet that 95% of the users here have at least 1 song on their iPods that they didn't pay for.

Frungi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2006
33467-1738
cgratti said:
If I buy a song from iTunes and copy it to my iPod then travel to another country with my iPod I don't care if it's legal or not in the eyes of whoever.
cbeyond said:
There are no restrictions on use of the downloads in locations other than where they are purchased.
Aside from that, I agree with cgratti. As long as they’re paid for or free anyway, what’s it matter where you happen to be at the time of download?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
cgratti said:
Way to technical, I see it this way.. If I buy a song from iTunes and copy it to my iPod then travel to another country with my iPod I don't care if it's legal or not in the eyes of whoever. The fact remains I legally purchased the song and did not steal it, no matter where I travel.
I think if you read the original post a little more closely you'll see that Apple isn't saying that you can't use the song on your iPod in another country. It appears that they are saying you can legally access the US iTunes Music Store and download songs only if you are physically located in the US. After you are done using the iTMS, you can use iTunes and your iPod anywhere you please.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
weldon said:
It appears that they are saying you can legally access the US iTunes Music Store and download songs only if you are physically located in the US. After you are done using the iTMS, you can use iTunes and your iPod anywhere you please.
This may be a result of their license agreements. Perhaps the Elbonian music labels do not want anybody downloading Elbonian music outside of Elbonia, whether its free or not, and that's in their contract with Apple.

Frungi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2006
33467-1738
Doctor Q said:
Perhaps the Elbonian music labels do not want anybody downloading Elbonian music outside of Elbonia, whether its free or not
I can’t think of any reason they’d want to limit their economy like that. How could international exposure possibly be bad for a band/label? (I know it’s their prerogative, but why?)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Frungi said:
I can’t think of any reason they’d want to limit their economy like that. How could international exposure possibly be bad for a band/label? (I know it’s their prerogative, but why?)
Probably the fear that they would lose control over their own distribution, and that laws in Elbonia won't protect them. Apple has to work out the legalities one country (or one union of countries) at a time. Since the details differ from one country to the next, this is an unfortunate but not unexpected result.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think that comment is in there so that if in the future Apple decide to check IP addresses and block non-local IP addresses, no-one can complain.

I guess that the problem really isn't that much of an issue at the moment so they're happy to state it in the rules and make it reasonably tricky to do in that you have to have an address and a payment means/card.

I hope it doesn't happen since if you're blocking IPs based on geography, then it's tough for those travelling who want to buy new music. I know I've used iTMS UK while travelling in Germany and in the US to buy a song/album that I suddenly just had to have.

Mr. Shivers

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2006
Street Official

Has there been a Street Official Mixtape since November? Or did they stop doing that and replace it with the corresponding podcast?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mr. Shivers said:
Has there been a Street Official Mixtape since November? Or did they stop doing that and replace it with the corresponding podcast?
The Mixtape Show podcast has been around since June 16th, 2005. The list of not-quite-weekly episodes can be found on the web or in the store.

The "Street Official" mixtapes in the music section of the iTunes Music Store have not been heard from since November 14, 2005 and your assumption that Apple is letting podcasts take their place is a good guess.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
joepunk said:
Did anyone download the State of the Union Address that is available as part of this weeks free download?
Some might get confused and download it by mistake! SOTW = Single of the Week; SOTU = State of the Union.

Note that audiobooks are tracked on the first page of this thread, but not in the first post.

XCool

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
joepunk said:
Did anyone download the State of the Union Address that is available as part of this weeks free download?

Yup... downloading now, as we speak... :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I do think geographic restrictions are there to appease record labels. The agreements labels and artists have in place are VERY complex, and were complex long before iTunes. And a lot of those agreements couldn't legally be changed even if the label wanted to--so there's no choice but to continue having different music in different geographic regions.

For instance, some artists are carried by one label in one country, and another label in another country. All parties have agreed not to violate that, and so even on iTunes, they must legally continue to follow that division.

john159

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2005
i dont think it is the same video, the free one was the preview to the nascar.. and this is a review.. i think that is the difference... yeh it seems like the free one is gone from the store..

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
sniffies's Ooh La La is currently free to download. Great song, the first 4 or 5 star I've ever seen as a free download...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Interesting that iTMS is fully updated and the free tracks are actually free early for once, well before Tuesday Pacific Time. This usually isn't the case, particularly when announcements are forthcoming....

B

Applespider

macrumors G4
flat6 said:
sniffies's Ooh La La is currently free to download. Great song, the first 4 or 5 star I've ever seen as a free download...

There have been a few US 'free' tracks lately that have been UK hits. I wonder if we'll start getting US hits as our free tracks.

Perhaps the updates to the iTMS 'early' mean that the 'fun product' isn't iTMS related since you're right, usually if there's a product launch or new version of iTunes, then it doesn't update til later.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
betbest1 said:
I won't be able to continue updating the Free Music France or Canada 2006 lists. Someone else can take over.
Thanks for doing it up until now, betbest1.

Would any French or Canadian member care to volunteer to continue one of these lists? If so, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.