Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
I really can't decide which brower I like best; tried safari, camino and firefox...I don't really know the difference, so I guess it doesn't mean much to me. But does anyone have any input to sway me either way. I'd appreciate the help. :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I just use Safari, it does everything I need it to most of the time. If a website is playing up, I'll fire up Firefox or Camino and see if it works with either of them.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I use Safari 98% of the time, but if for some odd reason it doesn't display a website properly (this has only happened to me once), then I'll use Opera. I have found Opera to be better than Firefox (e.g. Firefox won't display the apple logo (like in my sig) and Opera will).

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
Safari is tooooo slow.

Camino doesn't have a very good tabbing system - i.e. you can only see a few tab markers at any one time (unlike Firefox which allows me at least 30 on my 20" iMac).

So Firefox wins. Though I would like to be able to use icons for my Bookmarks Toolbar, as aopposed to words (like in Camino).

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Atlasland said:
Safari is tooooo slow.

Why do you think it is slow? Maybe becasue of your connection speed ;) ?

For me, Safari is the fastest browser I've ever tryed. (OmniWeb, Netscape, IE, Opera, etc)

Edit: Oh, I use Safari, if you haven't figured it out already

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Atlasland said:
Safari is tooooo slow.

Camino doesn't have a very good tabbing system - i.e. you can only see a few tab markers at any one time (unlike Firefox which allows me at least 30 on my 20" iMac).

So Firefox wins. Though I would like to be able to use icons for my Bookmarks Toolbar, as aopposed to words (like in Camino).
I believe that on your particular system that safari is slow. to bring it up to speed, delete the cookies. go into your library and delete the bookmark icons.

now you have a fast safari

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
This will be unpopular ;)

Safari on the OSX platform by a long way. It fits nicely into the Mac way of doing things and its the only Browser that handles RSS feeds anyway well on my slow dial up connection.

Opera is pretty and feature rich but is very incompatible with a large number of sites I have gone to.

Firefox is OK but I dont see anything that special about it. Plus its based on the Netscape Gecko rendering engine which was absolute pants:(
I have it on my machine mainly for its plugins and skins but rarely use it. On the PC platform I have found it shakey and unstable especially if you load it with plug ins

Shirra and Camino, Firefox with coats on :eek:

I will tell you this and its what I honestly believe on the PC platform Internet Explorer has the best and fastest rendering engine of any browser out there.

Havent tried Omniweb

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DerChef said:
Safari on the OSX platform by a long way. It fits nicely into the Mac way of doing things and its the only Browser that handles RSS feeds anyway well on my slow dial up connection.

Opera is pretty and feature rich but is very incompatible with a large number of sites I have gone to.

Firefox is OK but I dont see anything that special about it. Plus its based on the Netscape Gecko rendering engine which was absolute pants:(
I have it on my machine mainly for its plugins and skins but rarely use it. On the PC platform I have found it shakey and unstable especially if you load it with plug ins

Shirra and Camino, Firefox with coats on :eek:

I will tell you this and its what I honestly believe on the PC platform Internet Explorer has the best and fastest rendering engine of any browser out there.

Havent tried Omniweb
No browser is more standards-compliant than Safari. It is my understanding that Opera now rivals Safari in its compliance with standards. Gecko-based browsers are not quite as standards-compliant, but they are close. There are, however, a lot of websites which are coded to Internet Explorer. BTW, Shiira is based on Webkit, not Gecko. It automatically picks up your Safari bookmarks.

I have issues with Firefox, but stability is not one of them. If you are having stability problems with Firefox, the problem lies in your machine. Possibly, the problem lies between the keyboard and chair. It does not lie with Firefox.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Yes quite correct sir , shirra and so it seems omniweb use the webkit layout engine.

Looking this up in Wikipedia. It lists Old ***** Internet Explorer 5 for Mac and Opera IN "OTHERS".

Soooo it would seem there are no modern Trident based web browsers for the Mac platform then ?

Unless anybody knows different

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i mainly use Camino. its by far the fastest browser i have used yet. and i have tried them all i think. i can't stand FF's interface. and Opera just seems so foreign for some reason. i should possibly give Safari another go at some point though.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
PlaceofDis said:
i mainly use Camino. its by far the fastest browser i have used yet. and i have tried them all i think. i can't stand FF's interface. and Opera just seems so foreign for some reason. i should possibly give Safari another go at some point though.

What he said.
Plus Shiira occasionally.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Far and away is Camino. It is based on the Gecko engine, just like Firefox, but it is also Cocoa native, meaning it takes advantage of all the beauty of the Mac 's graphic interface. Tabbed browsing is fine - I usually have 2-3 windows open with about 5 tabs open in each divided by work type.

Firefox is fine, but I don't need all the customization and plug-ins that are the big advantage of using Firefox. I like the look of Camino and it gives me most of the benefits of Firefox with a Cocoa-based Mac look.

Safari has always been a slow broswer for me and hogged memory and CPU cycles. I use Vienna for my RSS feeds, so Safari has no use to me. I also do not like the brushed metal look of Safari anymore since Apple has moved further away from it and used the plastic look of the iLife apps - which Camino has as well.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Glenn Wolsey said:
Thats something only Mac heads can relate too. Dell doesn't have fans like the Mac type ;)

So true. There are no "Dell freaks". That's what I love about Apple. People love them, they don't just use their products like any other PC manufacturer. We are fanatics.:D

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Doing a wee bit of research :)

This new version of Netscape 8.1 when (or if :confused: ) it ever arrives for OS X will seemingly let you flip between Trident and Gecko layout engines.

Might be just what I need, provided Netscape has been improved in many other areas.:rolleyes:

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I use Safari for almost everything.

For the rare case that I find an IE only site and care enough to try to see/use it I use Opera.

I also have Firefox that I use for blogger.com because not all of the controls show up in Safari. I also have it so my Windows using friends can feel a little more at home on my mac.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.