Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
the fact that the 30 GB isn't on that list means something…

i think we might only see an 80 GB upgrade. But a full screen would be awesome!:D we only have 60 days to wait and see.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
how much music/movies do people need... 80 gigs that's the size of my whole hard drive:eek:

edit - rather have a nano update as i'm highly thinking of buying one

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
On the 60 day at-risk list for a month now, you say? Hmmm, smells like a 30th anniversary video iPod to me.
*looks in wallet, smiles at debit card contained therein*

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I know it could mean anything, including the introduction of the full screen. But I am allowed to dream;)

*Also looks in wallet and smiles at Amex.

Then remembers need to check with wife first before purchase.

Then remembers she is just as excited and has already approved.

Looks and smiles at Amex again.*

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
60GB iPod Product Line Changes?

Appleinsider notes that resellers where notified approximately one month ago that the 60GB 5G iPod is on Apple's 60 day "at risk" list.

Appleinsider claims that when an item is placed on this list, it could mean that there will be changes to the product in the next 60 days -- this includes replacements or price changes -- so resellers should keep a close eye on inventory of that product.

Apple's 5G iPod was released on October 12, 2005 and represented the first iPod to support Video.

Rumors of a full video iPod have persisted, along with a rush of rumor-inspired concept designs.

The Video iPod is expected to be launched alongside an iTunes Movie service. Evidence of Apple selling movies on iTunes recently emerged with the sale of the first full-length movie on iTunes for $9.99.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I sure hope they don't update it. I would really prefer it if apple didn't update products more often than once or maybe twice a year.

It's so frustrating when a month after buying something, something else that's better and cheaper comes out. I know this happens with everything and it's a good thing but uch.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
this all makes april 1 look better and better as we go along.

but this may only be an upgrade to 80 GB, we don't know. Let's hope for touchscreen.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
puckhead193 said:
how much music/movies do people need... 80 gigs that's the size of my whole hard drive:eek:

I have over 250 GB of MP3s and 400 GB of movies. That being said, yes, I don't need all of them on my iPod at the same time... :p ;) :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yg17 said:
Dammit, my new iPod is already going to be obsolete

Yeah, damn technology... :p ;)

I wouldn't get too excited over this just yet. Obviously something is coming, however if only the 60 GB model has been identified, then to me that points to a capacity upgrade, not a complete redesign (i.e. touch screen) - otherwsie, Apple would have included the 30 GB model in this as well.

Regardless, always nice to see an iPod update! Just as long as a capacity increase isn't the only thing Apple will be announcing on April 1st! ;) :D

Edit: Nice edit job killuminati, your new first post is much less useless than your initial attempt. :p :cool:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Hopefully we'll see an 80GB iPod at the current size, you can never have too much disk space. Nothing wrong with a larger video iPod too of course.

Gm7Cadd9

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Apple has gone to great lengths to name the 5th generation iPod the iPod with video, and not "ipod video" (much like Dwight Schrute is Assistant to the regional manager, and not the Assistant Regional Manager.) The fact that the 60gig model is "at risk" to me says it could very well become the new VIDEO ipod.

My reasoning is this: I don't see why they would just bump up the storage to 80gigs, then we would have 2 models, 30 and 80? If they made an 80gig 5th gen it would be in addition to the 30 and 60, or the 80 would be a different model all together.

However I doubt an 80gig model would be on it's own, otherwise we wouldn't have seen the "at risk" warning for the 60gig model. I think the 30gig model stays the same, a quality and well priced ipod... and the new ipod will be the much rumored video ipod... 'tis all speculation, but makes sense to me.

-Roy

*edit: oh yeah, I forgot, Dwight Schrute was actually promoted to Assistant Regional manager a few episodes back.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Price Points

Sounds like they are making room in their price points, my bet.

iPod 30GB only $299
"iPod Video" 30GB $399
"iPod Video" 60GB $499

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I bet you Apple plans to keep the 30 GB iPod as it is now and replace the 60 GB model with two true iPod video models at 80 GB and 100 GB. If a movie service really does launch, users are going to need A LOT more space to store these full-length movies. I do think this will be a separate product, though, which is why I think the 30 GB model will remain by itself.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
It is worth noting that the 30Gb 5Gen. iPod is NOT on the "at risk" list!
Only the 60Gb 5Gen.
So the 30Gb wont change for a while! It's still cool.

This to me tells me three things:

1. Apple thinks and I would agree if this is the case, that people who bought the 60Gb bought it for video! So now this new product will take up that role. Hence the New Video iPod

2.It also tells me that the True video iPod will be priced around that of the 60Gb iPod. Sounds right to me! (around that price)

3.If you want music with video as a bonus, you buy the 30Gb iPod!
Howerver if you want Video with music as a bonus, you wait a few weeks!

p.s. you have been warned:)

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
A true Video iPod will be released soon, I say April 1, 2006.

Note that the current 5G iPod is video "capable" and has been used by Apple as a proof-of-concept to test the market demand.

I'm ready to buy when it's released :)

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Mac Fly (film) said:
It is worth noting that the 30Gb 5Gen. iPod is NOT on the "at risk" list!
Only the 60Gb 5Gen.
So the 30Gb wont change for a while! It's still cool.

This to me tell me three things:

1. Apple thinks and I would agree if this is the case, that people who bought the 60Gb bought it for video! So now this new product will take up that role. Hence the New Video iPod

2.It also tells me that the True video iPod will be priced around that of the 60Gb iPod. Sound right to me! (around that price)

3.If you want music with video as a bonus, you buy the 30Gb iPod!
Howerver if you want Video with music as a bonus, you wait a few weeks!

p.s. you have been warned:)

I like your thoughts, I think they will come true. All we need now is a Confirm from Apple that they are indeed having a media event in the next 3 weeks

michaelb

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
killuminati said:
I sure hope they don't update it. I would really prefer it if apple didn't update products more often than once or maybe twice a year.

It's so frustrating when a month after buying something, something else that's better and cheaper comes out. I know this happens with everything and it's a good thing but uch.

That's why if you buy something as soon as it comes out, you'll have the longest time of being the coolest kid on the block!

If you're a more practical person than trendsetter, however, if you buy something for a specific purpose, it will still do it even if newer, better products replace it.

I know peoples with minis who are perfectly happy playing their music with them and have no intention of buying a new one just yet, even if the new model had holographic 10' screens with 5.1 surround sound.

(I would though! iPod AV "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" edition, here we come.)

pelcinary

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
A few things.

1. Updates don't make your iPod obsolete, no matter how frequent. Does next years car model make last years obsolete? I don't throw my car in the trash just because every year they come out with a new one. My car is just fine, and so are all 4G/5G ipods.

2. Who knows what will actually happen. Having said that, I totally agree with Gm7Cadd9. Makes perfect sense to me. The idea of replacing the 60GB with a higher-end, more expensive ipod and leaving the 30GB as is sounds great to me. 30GB is more than enough for the average consumer.

urggg... this might mean no MacBook on April 1st! damn.

Why?? I don't understand.

4. Don't forget about wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.