Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maaij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Hi,

Is it normal my computer freezes when I restart/Quit WinXP?
I have a duo core mac mini

Thanks

baylormac

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
Mine is the Same

Maaij said:
Hi,

Is it normal my computer freezes when I restart/Quit WinXP?
I have a duo core mac mini

Thanks

My MacBook does exactly the same thing. :eek:

What is ironic is that I used to have a compaq that did this when shutting down and it drove me so crazy that I actually switched to the Mac. Here I am dealing with the same freaking issue. :)

Maaij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
yankeefan24 said:
It is a known bug that when you restart it will freeze. You have to shut down.

Shutdown with the Power buttom or in WinXP?

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Maxiseller said:
If 12 months ago somebody said "You'll soon all be dicussing why Windows XP is unreliable and crashes on your macs" You'd have slated me!!

Funny how things change...

Very Very true. Mine just freezes at the end of shut down. Its a bit of a pain, but, I am not planning on running windows all that often. Hell, I bought a mac, i want to use it as a mac whenever I can, and those times when I need windoze, Ill just have to deal with the fact the install is a little buggy.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
the system probably is probably trying to do some activity that the mactel does not permit...that a pc would...what could it be?

checking the Bios maybe?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Maaij said:
Shutdown with the Power buttom or in WinXP?

when you go start -> shutdown (or w.e) -> restart it will freeze. its a known bug that has been mentioned here before.

chenwli

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
Mine freeze when shutting down or rebooting. Here is one solution (works for me): right click on the start bar, start "task manager", there is a menu item called "shutdown", with submenu "shutdown", "restart", "logout" and so on. Here is the trick: hold down "ctrl" and left click "shutdown". XP will write back anything it needs to save and do a quick shutdown (skip some routine shutdown procedure, but there is no ham to your windows xp system!). If you are using some single mouse emulation software and use ctrl+left click=right click, this won't work.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Maxiseller said:
If 12 months ago somebody said "You'll soon all be dicussing why Windows XP is unreliable and crashes on your macs" You'd have slated me!!

Funny how things change...
HA! -- I'm waiting for a friend of mine to get off work and checking MR in the middle of TekServe in NYC. That totally busted me up and now everyone's looking at me.

Good thing I'm not too self-conscious....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.