Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdewey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
A slashdot user posted the following:

Possible solution to do it without a PC!(Score:2)
by mr_zorg (259994) on Friday March 17, @12:37AM (#14939734)
(http://sogeeky.net/)
It seems to me that the only reason you need a PC to do this is because the author is only familiar with Nero Burning-ROM to create bootable discs. It certainly isn't easy to do on the Mac, but if I've got it right, this should work. I don't have an Intel Mac to test on, can someone try this? First, install Fink. Then install the "mkisofs" package. From there, unzip the solution given and cd into that directory in terminal. Insert your XP install CD. Then run these commands:

cd src
ditto /Volumes/YOUR_XP_INSTALL_CD .
cp -r ../patch/ .
cp ../boot.img .
cp ../xom.efi .
cp ../howto.txt howtomac.txt
mkisofs -b boot.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -c boot.catalog -iso-level 4 -r -J -V XP_ON_MAC -o ../xp_on_mac.iso .

Note that the mkisofs is long and may be wrapped on your screen. But it should be all one line... This will create an ISO that you should be able to burn with Disk Utility. I've taken the liberty of putting the xom.efi and howto instructions on the ISO as well to make things simple. Then, just follow the howto instructions in section II "The Installation". Hopefully that works! Let me know!

Can anyone confirm if this will work?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
tdewey said:
Can anyone confirm if this will work?
I can't confirm whether it works or not...

However, I just posted to the wiki at onmac that there seems to be a -N option missing from the mkisofs, for consistency with the Nero "Do not add the ';1' ISO file version extension" setting.

i.e. I think it should be
Code:
mkisofs -b boot.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -c boot.catalog -iso-level 4 -r -J -N -V XP_ON_MAC -o ../xp_on_mac.iso .
Bart's site http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ has a nice shell script to help make bootable CDs bcd.cmd, including XP, using mkisofs to do the work, but hasn't been updated in a while...

B

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Toast?

Toast burns iso images. I've made bootable OS X, Solaris and Linux CDs with it. Any reason it wouldn't work for XP?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
daveL said:
Toast burns iso images. I've made bootable OS X, Solaris and Linux CDs with it. Any reason it wouldn't work for XP?
- Kind of emulation: [No emulation]
- Load segment: [07C0]
- Number of sectors: [4]
- Data mode: [Mode 1]
- Filesystem: [ISO9660+Joliet]
- Filename length: [Max of 31 chars (level 2)]
- Character set: [ISO9660]
[x] Allow path depth of more than 8
[x] Allow more than 255 characters in path
[x] Do not add the ';1' ISO file version extension
[x] Allow more than 64 characters for Joliet names
The XP bootable discs are formatted with some particular settings, as long as Toast has the right knobs to tweak to the above Nero settings, you should be fine.

B

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
tdewey said:
First, install Fink. Then install the "mkisofs" package. From there, unzip the solution given and cd into that directory in terminal. Insert your XP install CD. Then run these commands:

cd src
ditto /Volumes/YOUR_XP_INSTALL_CD .
cp -r ../patch/ .
cp ../boot.img .
cp ../xom.efi .
cp ../howto.txt howtomac.txt
mkisofs -b boot.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 -c boot.catalog -iso-level 4 -r -J -V XP_ON_MAC -o ../xp_on_mac.iso .

Got fink to load but can't get cdrtools (which mkisofs is a part of supposedly) to install properly, and therefore shell doesn't understand the mkisofs command.

Anyone know how exactly I can get cdrtools to install?

barstard.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
barstard said:
Got fink to load but can't get cdrtools (which mkisofs is a part of supposedly) to install properly, and therefore shell doesn't understand the mkisofs command.

Anyone know how exactly I can get cdrtools to install?

I think that fink may be overkill for this one, the regular dev tools should be able to build it. cdrtools.tar.gz can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/

then:

tar fxz cdrtools.tar.gz
cd cdrtools-2.01
make

You can try a make install after that, but it may not work. You'll find the compiled mkisofs hiding under mkisofs/OBJ/(architecture)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.