Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr breaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
I just sucessfully installed XP on my mac mini.

However, I can't figure out how to make a valid network connection.

By default, it created a LAN connection using 1394 Net Adapter. How do I change this? My computer is connected to a hub with a cable modem.

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Has there been a change to the issue with fans not running because XP doesn't turn them on? I'd hate to fry my mini by having it slowly cook.

UncleStoney

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
Sorry, but I'm a technical ignoramus. Can someone please walk me through the driver installation process. I'm trying to get my wireless working on my MPB. I downloaded the correct driver and ran the executable. It appeared to install the driver in the correct directory, but now I'm stuck.

I have the Device Manager open and I see two "Ethernet Controllers" under "Other Devices." Which one do I pick? And then what? Help!

(Sorry for such a n00b question -- I couldn't find step-by-step instructions anywhere else).

Thanks!

mr breaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
Maxwell Smart said:
How do you like XP on your mini? do you have the solo or duo version? Is it fast?

Yeah..it's really fast. I am not a huge Windows fan, but I do .NET development...so it's going to be great not having extra PC boxes lying around my small apartment.

I haven't tried installing the listed graphics driver yet....that's the only thing that is noticeably slow.

mr breaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
jsw said:
Has there been a change to the issue with fans not running because XP doesn't turn them on? I'd hate to fry my mini by having it slowly cook.

I think I hear the fan on. But it's so quiet to begin with, it's hard to tell!

It doesn't seem to be any hotter than when I am running OS X.

mr breaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
jsw said:
It would seem that there are no reported fan drivers yet. How are you regulating the temperature of your mini?

Likewise, UncleStoney, how are you ensuring it doesn't overheat?

There is definitely heat coming out of the vent in the back...not an unusual amount, but enough to feel it.

UncleStoney

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
My fan seems to be on -- at least I think i can hear it. It's pretty quiet. My MBP is running hot, but I'm not too worried yet.

BTW, I got my wireless working after all. It helps if you install the ethernet drivers first.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mr breaker said:
I think I hear the fan on. But it's so quiet to begin with, it's hard to tell!

It doesn't seem to be any hotter than when I am running OS X.
Cool. Good to know. I don't have any real need to install XP on my mini (not that I won't anyway, just to see...), but the time's coming up for me to get a new laptop at work, and the ability to install XP might sway them to allow me to buy an MBP.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
jsw said:
It would seem that there are no reported fan drivers yet. How are you regulating the temperature of your mini?

Likewise, UncleStoney, how are you ensuring it doesn't overheat?

The system by default spins the fans at full speed. It's the OS X daemon that slows them.

At least that's how it was for the G5.

I am 100% sure XP would never cook a mini. Intel chips have great self-protection from heat. Also, Apple relying only on the OS X daemon would result in a numerous amount of fried computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.