Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technofrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Hi.......I've been experimenting with ffmpeg, and according to several websites I've found on encoding video to a format my ipod can read, using the following command line:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i '/Documents/TVShows/Originals/The.Office.US.S03.E18.avi' -vcodec xvid -b 300 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 96 -s 320x176 -title '18' -author 'The Office' '/Users/davidcranor/Sites/ipodfiles/the_office/the_office_0_18.mp4'

it gives me a file clearly within the limitations of what the ipod can handle, but itunes won't copy it to the ipod, because it "cannot be played on this ipod."

on a somewhat related note, some video podcasts are giving me the same error several times per week. (the Make one and Rocketboom)

is this an itunes problem or my ipod's?

Help!

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
technofrog said:
Hi.......I've been experimenting with ffmpeg, and according to several websites I've found on encoding video to a format my ipod can read, using the following command line:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i '/Documents/TVShows/Originals/The.Office.US.S03.E18.avi' -vcodec xvid -b 300 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 96 -s 320x176 -title '18' -author 'The Office' '/Users/davidcranor/Sites/ipodfiles/the_office/the_office_0_18.mp4'

it gives me a file clearly within the limitations of what the ipod can handle, but itunes won't copy it to the ipod, because it "cannot be played on this ipod."

on a somewhat related note, some video podcasts are giving me the same error several times per week. (the Make one and Rocketboom)

is this an itunes problem or my ipod's?

Help!

correct me if i'm wrong but it appears you are encoding the video with the xvid codec, the ipod cant play xvid, only standard mpeg4 files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.