Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
My G5 is 62 degrees celsius, although I´m just browsing on the Net so 70% of the cpu is idle. The HDD is 58 degrees.

Isn´t this too hot for the computer to last for some time, say 3 years? And is it possible to put a better and more quiet fan on the iMac?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
As yankeefan says, you needn't worry. For one thing, the temperature you're describing sounds normal, and the temperature sensors are designed to shut down the Mac before it gets hot enough to do any damage to the internal components.

My G5 is currently clocking in at 61.3°C so I'm not too far off what you're experiencing, and everything is working fine. :)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
rockthecasbah said:
what's the temperature for laptops to run at, is that 75 degrees Celsius as well? :confused:

75ºC is the cut off point for the G5s. I doubt it's the same in the laptops.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I´m now converting raw files to jpg with Lightroom and the cpu temp went up to 74.1 degrees. :eek:

It looks like I will not been able to use Lightroom on the iMac from May-October since the the temperature cannot rise more. :(

Isn´t the Core Duo much cooler?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Atlasland said:
I thought the Intel iMacs were supposed to be almost silent?

mine is very silent, but it has a faulty hard drive which freezes programs and corrupts files...once i get a new hd in it, we will see how quiet or noisy it is

my dual G4 power mac is rather noisy, but at least that thing works and has been problem free forever

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My laptop, thpuogh it is not a mac, operates at 40 degrees (harddrive 30 degrees). I think it is in general lower for laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.